Thread: NA vs NB vs NC... how'd you pick it?

Default NA vs NB vs NC... how'd you pick it?

I'm curious when/how you decided you which Miata you wanted. Hell, what made you start looking for a Miata in the first place? I had wanted a Miata since I first rode in one back in '92, but I didn't really think about buying one till I realized I could get a nice NA for about the same price as a nice RX-7 GSL-SE. When I started looking, I knew I wanted a 1.8, I didn't like the looks of the NB (but they've really grown on me!), and an NC was out of the question, money-wise. I wanted the barn-door lights (go figure) and the chrome door handles (still a plus for me), plus I'd heard the whole "NB may be a better car, but an NA is a better Miata" mantra. All in all, I think I made the right call (for me!)... but I'd like to know how y'all picked yours...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Origionally I was looking for an NA to have as a second car to my focus, but being a college student kinda kicks the idea of two cars out the door. So eventually (don't make fun) I sold the Focus and picked up my NB. Now when I graduate, I plan on looking for a cheap NA to make into a track car. I've driven an NC, but I just cant see myself owning one.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

An NA was all I could afford. I'm glad now because I like it so much
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I've always liked the NA due to it's lightness, classic roadster appeal, and lotus elan-esque styling. The price was excellent and it was at the right time.

Back in '05, I had been searching for a miata for about 6 months. I was in the process of buying and selling cars. I had 3 cars at one time, and sold 2 of them. I stumbled across a fantastic deal on a '96 (best deal i've ever found on a 96 with it's mileage) in richardson on cars.com. I called the guy went to drive it, and bought it within 2 hours of calling him.

I knew I wanted a Miata after selling Mazdas in 93. My Ex got a 95M in 97 but it was an automatic.

I finally got my first Miata in 1999, a 10AE. That car got totalled in 2001. I finally got another Miata in 2003. I got my current NA from the second owner while in California as it was all I could afford at the time.

Having owned both, I brefer the NA over the NB. If I got another Miata, I'd either get another NA or an NC if I could swing it.

Wifey wants a silver NB though so a NB might show up in the garage someday.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

After totaling her toyata pickup my wife wanted a convertable. So we went shopping for something we could pay cash for. Came across this Miata at Freeman in Irving. One test drive and we were both hooked.

I always wanted a convertable. Best friend in High School had a '68 Mustang GT Convertable (pretty rare car) and we had a blast doin' all kinds of stupid HS crap.

Fast forward to New Year's 2001... Was out in Atlanta at the same friend's house and he tosses me the keys to his Miata. I was hooked. I passed my CCIE exam in 2002 and bought my 92 B&T as a present to myself.

I bought the NB since it was at a price I couldn't resist. Love it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

After having my motorcycle totaled and several close calls while riding its replacement, I decided to quit riding while I was ahead. I'd always liked Miatas since I first drove one around '93 or so and a small convertible seemed like a suitable replacement for a bike. I borrowed my neighbors '95 for a few days and was hooked! Sold my bike and bought an '01 with the money. I like the NAs and would probably be very happy with one, and because of price was originally looking at them. However, I prefer the body styling and interior of the NB's. I happened to find an '01 LS in my favorite green/tan combo for a really good price and never looked back! The NCs are out of my price range for a fun (read: third) car. And I'm not really fond of the look of them. If someone gave me one, I'd probably sell it, buy a nice NB and mod up the engine with the leftover $$

Well I needed a cheap gas efficient daily beater so that pretty much meant 1.6. Also the NB's were a bit out of my range for the purpose and I didn't want to give up the RX-8 to get a NC even though I drove a few and they are a blast.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

A high school friend's mom had a brandy-new Classic Red '92 that she for some reason saw fit to let him drive...and he let me drive it, fishtail a bit and generally have fun. Never saw it as a car I'd own...

During college, I worked a couple of summers for my uncle in Baton Rouge, who had (and still has) a white '91. I enjoyed the hell out of that car when opportunity arose, and have been wanting something similar since that time.

'05 rolled around and I needed something to drive as a fun "beater" while finishing up another car. I toyed with a few options: 2000NX, 200SX SE-R, Miata, Probe GT, Mazdaspeed Protege, Protege5, et al. I joined a few pertinent online communities for research purposes...and eventually ran across sammmy's old NA. I'd only driven the 1.6 cars, so I was certainly good with the grins-per-drive ratio! Given the price, overall condition, known history and the select modifications that had been made, it seemed like a steal. I jumped all over it!

The other car, once finished up (again...), will become the daily beater.
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

Quote Originally Posted by juxt3r View Post
    The other car, once finished up (again...), will become the daily beater.

HOLY SHIT!

The Beast Beater... I can dig it.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Well I had a money pit Mustang which was fun...in a straight line...and for a while. Things just kept breaking and the maintanence was too much, gas yadda yadda. My friend Brett let me drive his miata for a few hours and after i went to drive my mustang that was it. 2 weeks later i bought an NB. In my opinion the late model NB's have the best looking interior and exterior. One day i'll probably buy an NA for a fun weekend car.

Drove an 8, hated it, Salesman asked about Miata, I shrugged, he mentioned "Mazdaspeed.......Turbo......"
    One test drive and the rest is boost history
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

I was a week ahead of the NC's, so I took a test drive in the MSM NB and the RX8. I really liked the RX-8, except for the lack of a convertible roof. A week later, I took a test drive of the NC. I did not like the seat comfort or the factory radio in the NC that I test drove so I left disappointed.

I thought about it another week and finally decided to buy the MSM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Cool, guess I skipped past this one...

My senior year in high school, my ironman of a truck, 89 Nissan, was hit so I started looking for a "practical" replacement like a Civic. After scanning all the adds, I stumbled upon some Miatas and checked them out. Since I couldn't afford a Vette or such, I realized I could get a nice little sports car for the same price as a boring Honduh. After my first test drive I absolutely fell in love with the NA!

The NB took a few days to grow on me and I love them too, but as you all have noticed from my recent posts I'm not a big fan of the NC's looks.

In the future I hope to make my NA a dedicated track car and pick up a nice NB, maybe a Mazdaspeed, to keep stock for the daily commute.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Banned

My first one was a '91, which I bought to just drive to work. Loved the car and started with simple upgrades. A guy in a Lincoln Navigator could not navigate and ended up totalling it. With the check, I found a great deal at a Lexus used car lot in Fort Worth. The '96 NA has been a blast. It was nice to have owned a 1.6 and then step up to the 1.8. I am now at a point where I need another daily driver as the '96 is a bare bones track car now. Best handling car for the buck. I love beating some $50,000 plus rides with my Miata at the Autocrosses.

I too had a convertible stang that I loved but kept destrying the transmission.
    I then bought a jeep wrangler and the tranny and instrument panel started going crazy, bad dealer service made me decide to dump it and get the xterra which was more safe but I missed the convertible feel.
    so I started looking and the NB was the best looking of the available NA and NB at the time. I really like the lines of the NB.
    It's the most fun, and my favorite car I have ever had and that is saying a lot.
    I dont like the NC mainly for one big reason, the hood is way too high when sitting in the car....I feel like I am looking over the edge of a table.
    The looks other than that of the NC are ok but not as good as an NB IMHO but I could live with it if the hood was lower.
    99 Miata Black

2 or 3 years ago before i got my licence i was looking at cars to get i started off with an eclipse, then a STi, then back to mitsubishi with the Lan-Evo untill one day i saw a drifting video of a miata and was interested. Then i kept looking into the miata more and ran across a simple moderate tuned miata smoke higher end cars like 240's, Evos, subarus, a lexus and other more expensive cars on the circuit and i was intrigued. Soon after i met one of my best friends who his dad owned a NA. we always take it out and go joy riding. that then sealed the deal for me and went out to get my first car the NA.

after a year and a half or so i got bored of it because of the slow 1.6L and the lack of twisty roads near me and i sought after a faster and meaner car, the '95 RX-7 which to this day is still my dream car. I kept looking and looking but they were hard to find in good condition. Then bout a month ago i was at the Mazda dealership to pick up some new pedal covers cuz mine riped and in the lobby i saw a RX8 and a NC. i test drove them both but it when i was in the miata the feel reminded me of how i felt when i got my first miata and knew this is the one.

sure like most people i wasnt to fond of the look and the size of the new miatas but it sorta grew on me and now i love it. Now the only thing missing in my garage is the 1.8 NB.

I'd always liked the Miata, but never really thought seriously about owning one. A co-worker threw me the keys one day and told me to take it for a spin. It had exhaust, intake, shocks, springs and sticky tires. That's all it took, one 5 minute drive.

A couple weeks later, we bought a 94 black and tan for my wife to daily drive. It's the same car that is in the garage right now getting a 2000 motor swapped in. I can't wait til it's back together and out on course again.

I originally picked the NA because of the price, but I'm definitely a barn door fan now.

Don't get me wrong, I've enjoyed every Miata/MX-5 I've ever driven.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub