Thread: An Elise bites the dust

Default An Elise bites the dust

Not sure of the full story (I have not read the entire thread), but I doubt it was a happy ending.

http://www.ppbb.com/scgi-bin/boards/...l?read=1198088

--
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

I fell sorry for the family but a guy is doing 100+, looses control and slams into not 1 but 2 pickup trucks on a public road. I can not feel sorry for the driver.

I've spent the last hour reading all the posts on the Elise site, and just sit back and think of all the times I've driven fast just because......not only putting me in that position, but wives, girlfriends, and even my daughter. I spun on Hwy 7 south of Russleville with my daugter by my side, at twice the speed limit. I watched in my rearview Mirror, again in Arkansas, as Steve Grubbs topped a hill to see another Miata sideways in the road His wife was in the passenger seat, and their son was with me. They hit a culvert head-on, and Connie has been in a wheel chair to this day. I was the first one to her side and held her until the paramedics finally arrived.

You would think we would learn :) We hear of these over and over and over, yet we still do it. I am proud that that I have toned my driving down considerably since I have the outlet of MSR and a Spec Miata with all the safety stuff, but there are still times..... Ones life can change in a momnet. I hope I can learn from this one.

Well said Merv. I definitely think motorsports is a great outlet for the speed fix. I know if I don't get to autocross for a few weeks my driving starts to get more aggressive.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Well said Merv. I definitely think motorsports is a great outlet for the speed fix. I know if I don't get to autocross for a few weeks my driving starts to get more aggressive.
    +1 on that. After a race, I'm just so much more relaxed in the car.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    I've spent the last hour reading all the posts on the Elise site, and just sit back and think of all the times I've driven fast just because......not only putting me in that position, but wives, girlfriends, and even my daughter. I spun on Hwy 7 south of Russleville with my daugter by my side, at twice the speed limit. I watched in my rearview Mirror, again in Arkansas, as Steve Grubbs topped a hill to see another Miata sideways in the road His wife was in the passenger seat, and their son was with me. They hit a culvert head-on, and Connie has been in a wheel chair to this day. I was the first one to her side and held her until the paramedics finally arrived.

You would think we would learn :) We hear of these over and over and over, yet we still do it. I am proud that that I have toned my driving down considerably since I have the outlet of MSR and a Spec Miata with all the safety stuff, but there are still times..... Ones life can change in a momnet. I hope I can learn from this one.
    Scary stuff... I've toned down my driving a LOT since I passed my "Fast & Furious" days (back when I had my first Supra). Heck, I've hit 100 only once in the last 9 months. I just haven't seen a reason to anymore... I kinda drive like an angry granny now
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    You would think we would learn :)
    You would think is right. I'm still guilty on occasion. At least I'm on 4-wheels now instead of just 2. Motorcycle speed and acceleration is addictive, or was for me at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Yup, I was telling myself that this morning.

Banned

Well, definately some of the worst street carnage I've seen in a long time. I've seen two fatality wrecks recently and neither of the cars was this far gone. When opposing forces are against you, things get nasty in a hurry. I too have toned my driving habits down for the street. After learning to go really fast on the track and Autocross, I can't get up the nerve on the street. Their are too many factors that can upset the cars, most of which are the innocent people oblivious to their surroundings and to you. Of course, they shouldn't have to always be on the look out for someone blowing by them at over 60 mph faster than they are going. We are the only ones on the road, right?