Thread: I just bought this and have a few questions.

Default I just bought this and have a few questions.

Took a chance and.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=250106240186

It drives great and everything works. My question is (can you believe it) what version FM kit did I get?

Will it pass an OBDII test as is?

It looks like you got the old FMII kit. Yes it will pass OBDII test. I have the same setup on my car and it passed with ease. It looks like you got a pretty good deal on the car, enjoy
    Blah blah blah!

Talking Congrats

Quote Originally Posted by rfc View Post
    Took a chance and.....

It drives great and everything works. My question is (can you believe it) what version FM kit did I get?

Dude You Stole that car Has it ever been wrecked? I'd say you scored big.

You have the FM2 kit with the electronics and the Big Ball Bearing Turbo. It's good for well over 200 hp. I've got a '97 that has dyno'd 178hp and 205hp. I think it should be able to get to 240hp with good tuning. It's all about the tuning.

BTW, yes your car will pass Inspection with a good tune. If you have a complete computer replacement, the ODBII port won't give the inspector any info, so then they will put it on the dyno test, and it should pass with flying colors. Mine does anyway! Does your Check-engine light come on momentarily when you start the car? If not you need to tie it into the altenator light. There is an article on Miata.net that covers this mod. If your car has Anti-lock brakes they won't even put it on the Dyno, just an idle test.

Congrats
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Quote Originally Posted by rfc View Post
    Took a chance and.....

Looks sharp! That is the old FMII kit, with the piggyback LINK. It keeps the stock ECU so you should still be able to pass ODBII (assuming it isn't throwing any codes). The piggyback controls the secondary fuel rail that can be seen along the side of the intake manifold. There are a few people in town with this same setup.

secondary fuel rail, i was looking for a fuel pressure regulator but its hard to tell. That link controls the pulse width modulation but unless you got higher cc injectors you're probably boosting about 6psi. (my guess)
    10/30/06 - 93' black primered MX5 1.6L
    Wiseco Pistons 9:1, Carrillo Rods, ARP head and main bolts, FM valves +1mm and stiffer springs, new lifters, main bearings, cometic head gasket, port and polish head, ready for boost....

What a steal!!! Congrats, on your, 12th or 13th miata this year

I agree with Titus, it's a piggy back and you should have no problem with emissions as long as it's not throwing codes.

My car has ABS and they put in on the dyno every year....?????
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Mouglie View Post
    secondary fuel rail, i was looking for a fuel pressure regulator but its hard to tell. That link controls the pulse width modulation but unless you got higher cc injectors you're probably boosting about 6psi. (my guess)
    No AFPR and no increased pulse width on the stock injectors... The stock ECU controls the stock injectors normally, and the piggyback adds fuel via the second set of injectors when you are in boost. Most people run this setup at 9-12 psi.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    What a steal!!! Congrats, on your, 12th or 13th miata this year

I agree with Titus, it's a piggy back and you should have no problem with emissions as long as it's not throwing codes.

My car has ABS and they put in on the dyno every year....?????
    Well, I got rid of 9 of them. All were NAs with less than 50K miles (lowest had 9K). Now I have the 93 LE FMII, a 91 Greddy, and this 2000........and the parts cars.

Time to start all over - haha. I am always looking for low low mileage NAs or any nice NAs.

BTW, thank you for responding so quickly. I need to get to one of the outings.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    Dude You Stole that car Has it ever been wrecked? I'd say you scored big.

Congrats
    You would be right, if thats what I paid. I offered him cash (more) and he took it.

An 2000 SE w/o the turbo is worth 8-9K. W/turbo the same or less.

Congrats! I still want to get our LE's together. CosmosMPower just got an LE too, so that makes 5 on this board.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Nice car at a great price. Enjoy.