Thread: Boss Frog Double Hoop roll bar

Default Boss Frog Double Hoop roll bar

I think I've located a deal on a Boss Frog double-hoop roll bar, and I'm waiting to hear back from the guy. I like the look, and I definitely want a functional roll bar as opposed to a fleaBay style bar. Anybody had any experience with one? Does the factory brace behind the seats stay or go?

Here's a pic from the Boss Frog website... the one I found is silver (not sure if it's polished or powder coated, though)...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

When you get a roll bar you don't need that mid-frame brace behind the seat. The roll bar is that brace once you get it in. Which means you can sell it for some
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    When you get a roll bar you don't need that mid-frame brace behind the seat. The roll bar is that brace once you get it in. Which means you can sell it for some
    Cool thanks!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Are you going to install this yourself or have someone do it?

I've been wanting one of these but a.) don't have the time to install myself (and, truth be said, just don't want to!) and b.) can't seem to find someone locally to do it...

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Are you going to install this yourself or have someone do it?

I've been wanting one of these but a.) don't have the time to install myself (and, truth be said, just don't want to!) and b.) can't seem to find someone locally to do it...
    Dunno... I'll prolly hit some folks up for a tech day (blackroadster? ). I can't think of anyone off the top of my head that I'd trust with the job.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

I doubt it would be stainless if you don't see much of a price jump from black. They do offer a silver powder coat from the manufacturer.

Good-Win Racing Linkie:

Moss Motors Linkie:

Do you know if it is the MAXX model or the standard. The MAXX model will not allow for the hard top, but also has the nice advantage of being pushed back a little to keep your knoggin from getting knocked around as much.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    I doubt it would be stainless if you don't see much of a price jump from black. They do offer a silver powder coat from the manufacturer.
    You're probably right... looks like the stainless one is a HUGE jump in price - yikes!

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Do you know if it is the MAXX model or the standard. The MAXX model will not allow for the hard top, but also has the nice advantage of being pushed back a little to keep your knoggin from getting knocked around as much.
    Good question... I'll be sure to ask the guy when/if I hear back from this guy. Given my vertically challenged nature, I don't think I'll have a problem with the standard one, but I may not be taking my tall friends to lunch any more!

Also, I gotta have one that accommodates a hardtop since I'm such a in the winter.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

www.miatasolutions.com Stevan may be up for it. Not sure if he's done one of these.

www.trackdogracing.com Mike P. has put in more rollbars than anyone I know. Gary and Mike can do this install too if they're willing. They usually do Harddog bars.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
    www.miatasolutions.com Stevan may be up for it. Not sure if he's done one of these.

www.trackdogracing.com Mike P. has put in more rollbars than anyone I know. Gary and Mike can do this install too if they're willing. They usually do Harddog bars.
    Yeah but neither of them work for beer and pizza. I would be willing to "assist" provided that I am not the only one besides you there. Now for some I'd help you install it.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Fair 'nuff (still haven't heard from this guy, though...).
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Banned

I would be willing to lend a hand and some specialty tools. I have an air nibbler, which I used to install mine. Install is not hard, just need to be careful when test fitting, and watching for wires not getting in the way. Rear deck is only thing that gets cut, and can be made quite nicely or covered with carpet. From out of the box, to completely installed and finish out, took about 4 hours. However, I installed by myself. Is much easier and quicker with extra hands.

Wow... I've not even yet bought my bar, but the prospect of a less expensive install (pizza, beer, and comraderie) might hasten the purchase, if the idea of doing two (or more!) bars at one isn't unreasonable... Maybe a roll bar tech day is in order...?

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Wow... I've not even yet bought my bar, but the prospect of a less expensive install (pizza, beer, and comraderie) might hasten the purchase, if the idea of doing two (or more!) bars at one isn't unreasonable... Maybe a roll bar tech day is in order...?

Not unreasonable at all. I've done/been to a few multiple roll bar tech days.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Machismo View Post
    Rear deck is only thing that gets cut
    Every install I have witnessed required trimming the plactic trim panels and that took much more time than cutting the tin. That is why I paid to have mine professionally installed, and it looks worse than any of the ones done by a bunch of pizza and beer guzzlers on tech day
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region