Thread: ABS light on, ideas?

Default ABS light on, ideas?

The ABS light came on my NA yesterday. Never had any issues and the brakes still work but ABS won't engage. It was raining yesterday and I never drove the car in the rain before so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas on how to diagnose or where to start?

I didn't see any leaks or obvious problems. I did see a small black box with a cover that says "diagnose" is there any where to plug in a code reader to pull an ABS code similar to pulling a CEL?

Thanks in advance.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    The ABS light came on my NA yesterday. Never had any issues and the brakes still work but ABS won't engage. It was raining yesterday and I never drove the car in the rain before so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. Any ideas on how to diagnose or where to start?

I didn't see any leaks or obvious problems. I did see a small black box with a cover that says "diagnose" is there any where to plug in a code reader to pull an ABS code similar to pulling a CEL?

Thanks in advance.
    Your 93 probably does not support plugging in a code reader to pull a code for the ABS system. You should be able to jump a couple of pins in the diag box and count the flashes of the ABS light to get the code out of the ABS ECM. I just sold the ABS ECM out of a 95 M, I still have the ABS hydraulic control unit but I hope you do not need it. The rain won't have any effect on the ABS system (or shouldn't). My guess would be a wheel speed sensor. I do have three of those left, one sold. On the Miata.net web site you should be able to find the info to tell you what pins to jump, if not let me know, I imagine I can dig it up for you.
    thanks, Craig

My LE did that, it was a wheel sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
    My LE did that, it was a wheel sensor.
    Thanks, any idea on how to confirm if this is the case and which one it might be and then how to go about solving this issue? Or should I just leave it with you
    Last edited by CosmosMpower; 05-26-2007 at 10:09 AM.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

If you pull the code it will tell you which wheel it is..............

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    Don't think he is talking about the airbag.

Quote Originally Posted by wrxmr2eater View Post
    Don't think he is talking about the airbag.
    Oops.. I knew that felt a little too easy.

Thanks guys, I was actually talking about the ABS so I'm not sure how to pull the code on that. Any input VFR750?

On a seperate note my Airbag light flashes 10 in a row, guess that means "Faulty diagnostic module (System-down fuse burned)"
    Does that just mean the main fuse for the whole SRS system is blown? Where would I check for that.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

The airbag fuse is inside the airbag computer module... there's a brown rectangular looking doohickey inside... you crack it open and there's a thermal fuse wrapped in a heating element.

It's designed so the computer can turn on the heating element to commit suicide in case there's an error that has been going on for too long... such as a bad S or D sensor.

You can't unwrap the heating element to replace the fuse. I tried.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The airbag fuse is inside the airbag computer module... there's a brown rectangular looking doohickey inside... you crack it open and there's a thermal fuse wrapped in a heating element.

It's designed so the computer can turn on the heating element to commit suicide in case there's an error that has been going on for too long... such as a bad S or D sensor.

You can't unwrap the heating element to replace the fuse. I tried.

RJ
    So will replacing the steering wheel with another airbag take care of it?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

No... the airbag is fine... the airbag computer needs replacing. Then once you do that you have to watch the light on the dash & see if you need to fix any other airbag issues.

It's easier to pull the bulb, pull out the airbag module & backup power suppy, and replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket one.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I am still researching this for you, so far I have found how to get the codes but do not have a code list yet.............Go to your diag connecter box by the air filter.........jump pin TBS to ground, your ABS light should start flashing the code out. It will repeat, it you watch it long enough you will get the idea. Say a single code of number 8 will be eight short flashes with a long pause or long flash before if flashes eight times again. A code 23 would be two long / three short flashes, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    It's easier to pull the bulb, pull out the airbag module & backup power suppy, and replace the steering wheel with an aftermarket one.

RJ
    Or you can just leave the bulb and computer in, and black the bulb out with heat shrink and/or RTV pooky (if you just yank the bulb, then the computer peeps incessantly "hey fool! you ain't got no airbag!").

That's what I did before I swapped my wheel out for the MOMO - worked like a champ.

However, you might want to be ready to replace the plastic hood over the gauges... they get a tad brittle with age. Kinda like an old... whoah... better stop myself before I go off color... Anyhow, there's a 95% chance you will break it - Town North has 'em for $109, just ask 'em to match Rosenthal Mazda, I think they're the cheapest.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Or you can just leave the bulb and computer in, and black the bulb out with heat shrink and/or RTV pooky (if you just yank the bulb, then the computer peeps incessantly "hey fool! you ain't got no airbag!").

That's what I did before I swapped my wheel out for the MOMO - worked like a champ.

However, you might want to be ready to replace the plastic hood over the gauges... they get a tad brittle with age. Kinda like an old... whoah... better stop myself before I go off color... Anyhow, there's a 95% chance you will break it - Town North has 'em for $109, just ask 'em to match Rosenthal Mazda, I think they're the cheapest.

I think I'd rather sit there and watch it blink than pay 109 for a plastic hood on a 14 year old car, yep I'm cheap. I will try the trick to see whats up with the ABS light so I can diagnose and fix. Someone on miata.net told me it's usually a 30 amp fuse that goes out for the ABS unit so I'll try that first. Great advice all around, part of the reason I picked up a miata was the community
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Part of the reason I picked up a miata was the community

'94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds