Thread: Canon P&S digital cameras

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Default Canon P&S digital cameras

I know we have a few photo buffs online. Anyone have experience with either one of these cameras?

SD1000 <-- clickie

SD800 <--- clickie

I've heard that people like the 800 IS better for the IS part (Image Stabilization). If you plan on a lot of shots w/o a tripod, I'd get it over the 1000.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

When I bought my Sony last summer, I strongly considered the equivalent size/shape Canons (previous generation of the models you're looking at). Even though I HATE Sony (just ask Dave04), I bought one.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Did you see this months Consumer Guides they had a write up on P&S cameras, but I haven't looked at it yet.

We have an older Cannon and it's been a great camera, we were actually talking about getting a newer one before our big vacation this summer.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post
    I've heard that people like the 800 IS better for the IS part (Image Stabilization).
    I was told the only thing IS does is up the ISO. Typically not good in a P&S camera.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    When I bought my Sony last summer,
    Which one did you buy?

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Did you see this months Consumer Guides they had a write up on P&S cameras, but I haven't looked at it yet.
    Yes I saw it, it's 1 page in the May 07 issue. Not much info IMO. A bigger review is coming in July 07, but I don't want to wait that long.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Which one did you buy?
    DSC-W70

I like the new W90 in terms of ergonomics... they made it harder to accidentally turn the selector dial.
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I was told the only thing IS does is up the ISO. Typically not good in a P&S camera.
    From Popular Photography Sept 06
    The 7.1 megapixel SD800 IS Digital ELPH camera is the second and newest Optical Image Stabilized Digital ELPH model in the PowerShot line, and is now the top-of-the-line Digital ELPH IS entry. Canon based the optical image stabilization system on advancements made in the development of the company’s EF and video lenses, and then scaled it down to fit the diminutive Digital ELPH camera profile. Unlike electronic or “digital image stabilization systems” that typically degrade image quality, Canon’s lens shift-type stabilization system preserves maximum optical quality while providing up to three stops of shake correction in shutter speed equivalent.
    I like the size of the camera. At 7.1 mega pixels, it should bring a really good image quality.

Here's another review from Popular Photography:

Linkie
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

One word...

www.kenrockwell.com
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    I've been reading his site....and he states, "The Canon SD800 is the pocket camera to get".

I am trying to decide if IS is worth an extra $100 (basically the diff. between the SD800 and SD1000. The other is the SD800 can go 28mm wide, while the SD1000 is 35mm like most others)

I've been reading his site....and he states, "The Canon SD800 is the pocket camera to get".

I am trying to decide if IS is worth an extra $100 (basically the diff. between the SD800 and SD1000. The other is the SD800 can go 28mm wide, while the SD1000 is 35mm like most others)
    the IS is easily worth $100... as is the jump from 35 to 28. If you like the feel of the camera, you'll be happy.

A highly objective review

I've used the 700IS quite a bit. It has the 3.8x zoom and the IS. Both are very nice features to have. Overall, it's a great camera, and the size makes it easy to carry everywhere. It's a 6MP cam, and outdoor shots are fantastic. It's also pretty responsive for a point-n-shoot digital camera.

My only complaint is that the flash is *just barely* better than no flash at all. If you need to take lots of indoor shots, you may be disappointed in the picture quality. Admittedly, it's not my personal cam, and I haven't spent much time trying different settings to improve things. But it's supposed to be a point-n-shoot, right? I've used a number of other cameras (though none quite as small) with an onboard flash that is much better.

Having said that, I like it well enough that a Canon SD-something or other is a the top of my list for an ultra-compact digital camera... YMMV
    '96 M-edition

I never use the flash on my SD, I've learned to use the manual setting and compensate for lack of light with the various settings. Not very many compact P&S have decent flash, if any, due to the size restraints. Canon does make an external flash for the newer SD series though.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Thanks for the info guys. I pulled the trigger on the SD800 this afternoon. Free 2-day shipping from Amazon, so I should have it this Wednesday.

Guess what showed up in the mail today? (after I ordered of course) The July 07 Consumer Reports with the digital camera reviews.