Thread: Need a slave cylinder...

Default Need a slave cylinder...

for my 6 spd. Are they the same as 5 spds? Anyone nearby have a spare? I'm planning to pick up a rebuild kit but I only have Friday evening available to get everything ready for the AX doubleheader weekend. I'm guessing it will be a lot faster to simply swap out the leaky one and rebuilt it later.

Any helpful comments appreciated!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

If the inside bore isn't pitted/rusty/etc, get a rebuild kit. You will have to remove it to replace or rebuild it. New slave cyls. have got expensive from what they used to cost...around $50 from Mazdaspeed IIRC.

Price correction -
    NA01-41-920B - RELSE CYL $47.50

FB01-49-460 - INNER PARTS KIT $13.00

The '99 parts list shows only one p/n for the slave cylinder.

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsc...fmp_mx5_99.pdf

NA01-41-920B - RELSE CYL $47.50

Yikes! $50 is almost real money. How long does it take to rebuild? Is it along the lines of replacing a couple of O-rings?

You should be able to get rebuild kit at Autozone or any parts supplier. Probably a replacement, too. Easy to do, but a little messy. It is really about the same amount of time and work for a replacement or a rebuild, so if you are willing to blow the extra coin on the replacement, then you mgiht as well.

Let me know if you need help tonight. I can come out there or you can use my garage.
    Last edited by jrj512; 05-31-2007 at 10:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Yikes! $50 is almost real money. How long does it take to rebuild? Is it along the lines of replacing a couple of O-rings?
    I think there was a new spring and a few rubber parts. It is very easy to rebuild it, provided you are not looking at a Haynes manual that had the incorrect order for putting it back together.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    How long does it take to rebuild? Is it along the lines of replacing a couple of O-rings?
    2 minutes. You replace a piston w/o-ring on it, spring and seal.

If you want a new one, Napa and Oreillys have the same part for less than Mazdamotorsports. Oreillys is about 30$.

All good info. Guess I'll try the rebuild route. Do I really need a manual? Seriously, how hard can it be? Maybe the kit comes with instructions.

Just note in what order it comes apart and put it back together in the same order. You will need someone to man (or woman) the clutch while you bleed it.

There are probably general instructions on a site somewhere.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    You will need someone to man (or woman) the clutch while you bleed it.
    Unlike some people, he's married so that shouldn't be a problem. Oh, wait! His wife lives in another country. Maybe he can rent some help.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I'm in Denton. Give me a shout if you need to.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    Unlike some people, he's married so that shouldn't be a problem. Oh, wait! His wife lives in another country. Maybe he can rent some help.
    Heh, she's here more than you'd think. She was here Monday when the problem first showed up. We were in a hurry to go somewhere and were only 10 minutes late thanks to the speedbleeder and her left leg. This morning it took me alone a bit longer but at least the early hour forced me to use a light under the car and DOH!, I realized what the real problem was.

I picked up a rebuild kit and a reman slave from O'reilly so I'll have it working right one way or another. I can return the reman unit if the rebuild works.