Thread: Texas proposes new laws to ban redlight/speeding cameras

Default Texas proposes new laws to ban redlight/speeding cameras

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/23/t...ned-statewide/

They do it different in Texas: Speed cameras banned statewide

Posted May 23rd 2007 9:37AM by Dan Roth
    Filed under: Etc., Government/Legal, Driving
    Finally, someone's fighting back against the fleecing of the general populace. Famous for liking things big, Texas lawmakers have laid the smackdown on red light and speed cameras in a large manner. HB.922 states "A municipality may not implement or operate an automated traffic control system with respect to a highway under its jurisdiction," which means that cameras, automated radar or laser, or anything else designed to snag an image of a car, driver, or license plate and record its speed is now forbidden. The even larger racket of red-light cameras have had the brakes applied by HB.1052, which requires giving motorists notice of the devices at least 100 feet out.

These bills have passed through the legislature and are awaiting Governor Rick Perry's inscription. If the measures do make it into law, we hope that other states follow suit. Ticketing egregious speeders and actual red-light scofflaws is one thing, but the systems have been calibrated in a cynical manner to generate loads of revenue (and kickbacks) for the companies that sell and administrate the systems for municipalities. Rather than keeping people safe, random ticketing amounts to a tax, and that really sticks in our craw. We're pleased beyond words that Texas has taken up the motorists' cause, and we hope that the new legislation can stand as a precedent.

Thanks for the tip, Dylan!
    Blah blah blah!

w00t!!
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I hope so. I got a ticket from one last week. $75
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Hell yeah! I've read at least two articles claiming that the red light cameras actually increased low speed collisions by a good percent. People that should continue through a yellow light because they cannot stop in time without slamming on the brakes either slam the brakes causing the person behind to hit them or they floor it to speed through before the camera is triggered. Not to mention the lack of due process or the inability to factor extenuating circumstances, such as the two idiots that decided to come to a complete stop for no apparent reason at the end of the intersection leaving me in the middle, just on the line that triggers the camera! I hope I don't get a ticket in the mail for that one.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Glad to hear this. Making up municipal shortfalls with this kind of blatant revenue generation ("public safety" my ass ) really pisses me off as well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Not to mention the lack of due process or the inability to factor extenuating circumstances, .
    This is the part that bugs me the most.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles