Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to make a smoother SCCA event

Kestrel your not in sales and marketing are ya!

You hit them with this big list and I think your going to get far more resistance that help. You know how any organization is about change.

Lets review:
    Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing
    Quote Originally Posted by JStankus
    It is a little clearer in the word document. Though its pretty much a straight extraction of the discussion.

First step to solving a problem is identifying exactly what the problem is.

John
    True but don't make the problem appear so large that no one wants to help!

Agreed. I took one look at that list and all I heard in my head was static. While I agree that it's all valid, it's also too much. We need to pick one or two problems areas where we think we have vaild solutions that can make the greatest impact, focus on those, and implement them. If we're successful there, then perhaps we can encourage other changes as well.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Spoken/written by two guys who have been to more SCCA BoD Meetings than me, and understand their politics better as well. I defer to your collective wisdom, and applaud your willingness to "do battle"... :)

Just a question we have a bunch of Miata folks bitchin about how crappie the SCCA events have become, makes me wonder if participation will drop next year do to the "this sucks" factor? Which may cause some of the issues to clear themselves.... YMMV

I also saw a note on the SCCA group e-mail deal where someone proposed raising fees, I thought the SCCA was swimming in cash, what would more money do?

Ok
    Some real good points on the marketing.
    My list was just a laundry list of issues you guys brought up and I have noticed. It also had some solutions embedded in there that were suggested. Some of the solutions can be implemented without BOD intervention. Some items are already being addressed (such as computer hardware and Radios). Let's go ahead and prioritize the rest. I do have Tom's ear and can push some of the items.

John

Some items are already being addressed (such as computer hardware and Radios).
    So what being done about these items? Not trying to be a butt head, but we are 7 events into this season and not much has changed.

Kind of like the fact I paid for the year (and have a copy of the canceled check) but have been told at most of the events the paper says I owe money.

Some items are already being addressed (such as computer hardware and Radios).
    So what being done about these items? Not trying to be a butt head, but we are 7 events into this season and not much has changed.

Kind of like the fact I paid for the year (and have a copy of the canceled check) but have been told at most of the events the paper says I owe money.
    Valid points.
    Some of the registration issues come from DD (and his 27 or 28 companies) not taking the time to have good records AND communicate well with the rest of the BOD. I think the plan for next year is to have someone else handle the registration for online and prepaid and DD run the registration desk at the events.

I can probably go in to a long list of reasons why after 7 events we still are having problems, but that would be counter productive, and excuses won't fix the problems.

There are a couple of options folks have:
    1. Throw you hands up and give up on TX region and run elsewhere
    2. Live with however the events happen to be
    3. Help me and the others who are trying to fix the problems and make the events better.

I can understand folks frustrations with the situation. When I moved up to DFW in 2000, I was excited about having multiple autocross clubs to run with. I ran several events in early 2001 (don't even recall if they were mostly ER or TXregion), did not care for the constantly running or working format with no down time (which made the events really no fun at all, imho). Realized that by myself I was not going to be able to change the status quo, so I quit autocrossing. I only came back to it after Tom Ramey took over running Solo for the region. Tom and I worked together down with the Austin club for several years. I figured a few folks working together could effect a positive change. Now there are a few very "opinionated" folks on the BOD, that have, shall we say, been resistant to change.

I would appreciate any help from y'all to help fix things, but I also will understand if you don't want to deal with the frustration of effecting change.

John

3. Help me and the others who are trying to fix the problems and make the events better.
    Oh Oh I'll take door number 1! (I’m currently Joking)

Seriously what is being done to the items already addressed as you mentioned above? I'm not trying to be an ash hoe, I'd just like to hear about some forward progress. So far we are just a lot of talk.

BTW. The same stuff happened last year with prepay, not a big deal just a mild annoyance.

Oh Oh I'll take door number 1! (I’m currently Joking)

Seriously what is being done to the items already addressed as you mentioned above?

BTW. The same stuff happened last year with prepay, not a big deal just a mild annoyance.
    Computers - Phil A is coming up with different computers, which won't be stored in the trailer. Also they probably need to not be run in the storage system Marty built since there is inadequate cooling.
    - Training Phil A. has offered several times to have training sessions but has had difficulty getting people to show

Radios - 2 of the icoms are broken - I have identified the fixes and will make repairs to them and one of the battery chargers
    - Motorola headsets - I don't fully know what the problem is there

Registration - As I mentioned in an earlier post we may split the pre/online registrations from the at event registration duties
    -online registration - we may move online registration to myautoevents... not sure on this one since I don't know full details.
    -I am going to insist on prepaids confirming attendance the week before so we have a reasonable idea of who will show so we can get the bulk of the work assignments before day of event

Sloppy corner working - I will go back to giving the worker speech. And either circulate out to the corners or designate someone to do so to make sure folks do what they are supposed to (anyone want to volunteer)

I'll go through my list and see what I can implement and what high runners need to be brought up at the board meeting. If there are ones that y'all want me to emphasize say so.

John

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Sloppy corner working - I will go back to giving the worker speech. And either circulate out to the corners or designate someone to do so to make sure folks do what they are supposed to (anyone want to volunteer)

John
    Is there time to do a pep talk just before they go out to work? Just a thought. If it is a safety issue like the red Mustang last time, Safety Dudes can go talk to the workers. I had a conversation with the folks in that corner AND the guy standing in the shade of the pole watching the race while the public sped past his post going East on the street.

I really think anybody wearing a blue arm band should get a refresher about work duties. Maybe before the novice walk?
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234