Thread: Adjusting top latches (for gabkwong)

Default Adjusting top latches (for gabkwong)

Here's your basic latch, albeit for the sides of a hardtop. Same principle applies to the front latches, though.

In the middle, with a white mark on it, you should see a little bit of a threaded rod and a hexagonal piece on the rod. There's typically a bit of plastic sheathing on the hexagonal portion, I'd assume to keep the adjustment from changing whenever you hit a bump.

Flip out the plastic sheath, as seen here...

...and spin the hexagonal portion of the adjuster in whichever direction works best for your needs. From the driver's perspective, clockwise rotation should tighten, counter-clockwise will loosen the latch mechanism.

Hope that helps ya'!
    '90 "LE" available for purchase soon
    2008.5 CWP MS3: JBR 70d trilogy engine mounts, short throw shifter & shift plate bushings; AST 4100 w/ 400lb springs f/r; JRZ camber plates

If you have them too loose or too tight it will leak. There's a happy medium you need to find.

Also, make sure it isn't leaking at the window. If it is, you can adjust the seal on the top of the window.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks!

Also, make sure it isn't leaking at the window. If it is, you can adjust the seal on the top of the window.
    So, RJ, how can I adjust the seal? Thanks in advance!
    Gabriel

They are held on by some screws... the holes are oval... loosen the screws, adjust the seal, then tighten the screws.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Good tips, I went ahead and tightened mine up a bit we'll see if it still leaks when it rains (just a bit near the corner of the latch). I'll check the seals as well. The correct size wrench to adjust the latch is 10MM
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car