Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 225's?

Default 225's?

Time for tires.

Currently running 205/45/16 on an '03 Shinsen Version (daily driver), wondering if 225's would fit?

Might rub on the front. 225's on rear, 215's on front?

Thinking about the Toyos--any other recommendations?

Here in Big D, I'm guessing I'm fairly safe running summer tires all year?

Is this(http://www.miata.net/garage/align.html --scroll down) the alignment to get?

Thanks,
    TMF

I'm running 215/45/16 Hankook RS2's with no rubs. However, my car does follow every little crack in the road.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Skirt (scmx5driver) runs 225's on his '99. I run summer tires all year long......when I have the money to purchase them.
    Are you considering the T1-R's?

Banned

The rub on the front will probably be more inboard than outboard. I run larger sways and even 205/50/R15s rub passenger side sway with Hoosier A6 in hard conering. If the little booger is lowered in any way, I wouldn't run bigger than 205s. Summer tires year round are fine. There will never be a need for Blizzaks w/ seeping or studded tires for what might be 2 hours out of 365 days here in Texas. Besides, I resided in a climate with 220" average snowfall yearly, and never had winter tires. Of course, never had a Miata there either.

...and the reason that you NEED that much rubber is.....what?

I'm running 225/45/15 Hankooks with a hollow front bar and very low ride height. It does rub a tiny bit on the sway bar but only at full lock which rarely ever happens, and only at very low speeds.

I would suggest that you run the same size tire front and back, and the difference between 215 and 225 will probably not be noticeable on the street.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I've had 215 and 225 on 16x6.5 wheels. Contact patch did not offset the weight difference. At stock height, the 225's rubbed on the inside.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Thanks all.

Through this conversation and talks with others, I've decided to just go with 215 Yokohama ES-100's. Not even sure why I was thinking of 225s--just thinking more would be better, not always the case...

Now the real question: where to I get a good alignment in Dallas?

Thanks,
    TMF

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Thanks all.

Through this conversation and talks with others, I've decided to just go with 215 Yokohama ES-100's. Not even sure why I was thinking of 225s--just thinking more would be better, not always the case...

Thanks,
    TMF
    I'm not a big fan of ES-100s but what are you looking for out of your tires. I had them on my M3 and they didn't last very long, were noisy and didn't grip that well.

Plus they are overpriced IMO.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    I'm not a big fan of ES-100s but what are you looking for out of your tires. I had them on my M3 and they didn't last very long, were noisy and didn't grip that well.

Plus they are overpriced IMO.
    Dear god, no!!!! Anything but es-100s!!!! The $37 Hankook K106 crapfests are FAR superior to es100s... And I think johnwag is now working on the 27k mile mark on the set I bought... I think he's the one who has them now at least...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    Dear god, no!!!! Anything but es-100s!!!! The $37 Hankook K106 crapfests are FAR superior to es100s... And I think johnwag is now working on the 27k mile mark on the set I bought... I think he's the one who has them now at least...
    I no longer have them, Jeff_man does. They have like 80%-85% tread left. The tread depth is 7/32-8/32's. Great for just driving, meh for grip.

I agree with the ES-100 naysayers. Would never buy them again at any price...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Well, nothing like stirring the pot, eh...?!

Right, so scratch ES-100's...

To be sure, this is my daily driver. In fact, just from looking at some of the pictures y'all post, I may be way out of my league here. Perfect example: as to what I want out of my tires--no clue. I don't even know what there is to be had. All I really know is that the BFGs on it (ZR rated, I believe) are coming due for replacement--and the back end's sliding around a fair amount.

Thought it best to replace with something other than an all-weather tire (!), but didn't know what. And, of course, I don't wanna spend a ton of money. And it might be a lot easier to buy somethings that a tire store stocks...

Open to suggestions.

Thanks,
    TMF

I'm running the K106's and have 10k on them. Rotated every couple of thousand miles and no real sign of wear yet....
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Banned

Bridgestone and several other companies sell tires that aren't badged as Bridgestone, etc. These tires are some what less expensive, and will serve as purpose. If however, you want performance w/ value, step up and look what's out there. Good tires are a plenty for the Miatas, but you have to pay to play.

One of the best tires for the Miata is the Toyo T1-R. Not excessively pricey, and probably good for close to 20K miles if you are not an aggressive driver. But a great performance upgrade from OEM rubber...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Quote Originally Posted by TMFShinsen View Post
    Thanks all.

Thanks,
    TMF
    I'm not sure it qualifies as Dallas, but go see BAM (AJ) at NTB in Lewisville when it's alignment time. Might want to give him a couple of days to wear off any possible B-Day after effects though.

SA

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    troof

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    troof

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    CLICK HERE for the BRG translation...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast