Thread: Heat Cycle R Compound Tires

Default Heat Cycle R Compound Tires

From my understanding to heat cycle the tires you want to take a journey, at a steady rate of speed for a given amount of time. In need to heat cycle my Victoracers latter today in preparation for Mineral Wells.

But what speed and what distance?

Thanks,
    Mick

You want to get the rubber up to 150-160... Last Sunday, it took 20 minutes at 95 to get them warm... I kept them there another 10 minutes. Might be a bit easier today, other than weekday traffic, since it's a bit warmer out.

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser
    You want to get the rubber up to 150-160... Last Sunday, it took 20 minutes at 95 to get them warm...
    Wow that quicker than I figured I needed to go! Last year I ran up to TMS and back (I live in N. Ft. Worth) which is about 30 Miles round trip. With the tires at about 28 psi, and the cruise set at 70, but I don't have a way to measure the temp.

Chassis Designer

The late great race engineer, Carroll Smith, states that you need to build up heat by introducing slip angle in the tire. He also states that you can build more heat under braking than cornering. Since I don't have abs, I don't think I could brake hard enough to generate that kind of heat and Carroll was working on real race cars. Like Tailchaser said, you do need to get the tire up to 160 degrees F. If I had known, I could have brought you my infared therometer (Carroll hates those because they don't measure anything but the surface temp).
    What you are doing is breaking the weaker secondary (not the covalet) bonds and allowing them to reform during your recovery time.
    I do know, that figure 8s in a parking lot are frowned upon by the Arlington Police.