Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ACT Clutch from Flyin' Miata

Kewl thanks for the help I will for sure be out to some auto X events this season.

since I will most likely need shocks soon then any suggestion on what would work good til I decide what to get for the perm setup later?
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Fidanza $334 shipped CLICK
    Adam, do you know if that price includes the infamous bolts? Also I dont have the power or need for a new clutch. There is a good probability however I will have easy access to the clutch and flywheel in the near future. I would like to replace just the flywheel. Anyone ever done this? I figure it would be more noticable than to add a very heavy clutch I dont need.

If you have no intention of going FI, then you could swap in the 1.6 Fidenza and 1.6 ACT clutch and pressure plate. Loose even more weight and still get more clamping power then the stocker. Gary did this on his white car, so may want to ask him about it.
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

I have thought about the 1.6, but I dont really have the cash for a flywheel and clutch. I wish I could.

Well for you TCB members:

TCB deal
    "Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional." Haruki Murakami

Hey thanks for that!!!!!hopefully he still has it

Edit: It says sale pending. When was it posted? I checked the ads yesterday

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Edit: It says sale pending. When was it posted? I checked the ads yesterday
    Listing 45144 was posted on 31-Jan-2005 and expires on 2-Mar-2005

Default Fidanza/ACT Stage II

I have this kit and can barely notice the difference bewteen it and the MSM stocker. The most noticeable difference is the 'smoothness' of the engine. It does rev slightly quicker, but not as impressive as what I had expected.

I know it's a shameless plug, but I am selling my OE clutch/flywheel off my MSM in the classifieds...

-Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Majik
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot
    Fidanza $334 shipped CLICK
    Adam, do you know if that price includes the infamous bolts? Also I dont have the power or need for a new clutch. There is a good probability however I will have easy access to the clutch and flywheel in the near future. I would like to replace just the flywheel. Anyone ever done this? I figure it would be more noticable than to add a very heavy clutch I dont need.
    Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner on this, I've been moving.

If you need the bolts, I have 2 extra sets laying around in my parts storage A friend of mine that used to sell Fidanza's shipped them to me back when the bolts problem came about.

FWIW, I bought a $5 used clutch off eBay for my 1.8 swap, and it is still fine. I'm not sure what I'm going to do w/ the 1.6 Fidanza though, I don't have money for a clutch right now and my next engine swap will be in the next few weeks.
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I put the 1.6 ACT HD and Fidanza flywheel in my '96 1.8. I would recommend this setup as a better alternative over the 1.8 setup as the lighter weight gives a seat-of-the-pants difference that you can feel. Seriously. The added bonus of a $100 savings is nice. Clutch feel is really nice, stronger than stock, but less then the 1.8 HD. A lot easier on the foot if the wifey may be driving the car once and a while. This setup is rated at 200 ft. lbs. torque so unless you are going with a M62 or FM setup, This would be my recommendation.

Our '96 will be a test mule for the M45 SC. We see a lot more opportunity that has not been explored for bringing the M45 up to a higher power level. Since the 1.6 ACT HD is rated at 200 ft. lbs., we don't expect any clutch issues.

If anyone wants to do a back-to-back test drive, come on by the Dog House.

Those who prefer to stay with the 1.8, I have a ACT HD clutch in stock. I will throw in a stainless clutch line at no charge.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

I have had ACT clutches in both of my cars and they suck....don't buy an ACT.....if you get the stage one heavy duty pressure plate and street disc its a total scam....the disc is just a rebadged exedy disc that you can buy for $55 but ACT sells for $122....get the Exedy clutch kit, way better bang for your buck or Spec clutches.

www.clutchcityonline.com

ACT uses the Exedy pressure plate on their lower torque models, but not their springs in their setup to reduce tooling cost. Exedy uses parts form ACT as well to design their systems. This is common business practice.
    There are some bargins out there Exedy is a good choice.

We have installed probably 12 clutches with at least 10 of those being an ACT. We have never had a single issue. I have close to 270 HP and 215 lbs. of torque on the ACT HD street and Findanza flywheel and have never had any issues. This is my first and only recommended clutch.

Perhaps you have an install issue. One tip I can recommend is to use Silicon grease, not regular grease on the throw out bearing. Regular grease holds the clutch dust and makes the throw out bearing stick on the shaft in very short order. The other is to use the braided SS clutch line to reduce swelling compared to the factory rubber hose. This will also help bring your pedal up off the floor and give you a more linear clutch engagement.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12