Thread: Anyone near Carrollton have some ramps?

Default Anyone near Carrollton have some ramps?

I was planning to put in my FM 7/8" front sway after work today and read some writeups that detailed it's easiest to do it on some ramps since the end links need to have weight on them when they're torqued.

Does anyone around carrollton/lewisville/plano have some ramps that I can borrow (preferrably someone that's done a front sway on a NA before also)

Thanks,

Joseph
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I have some you can get, my car is too low to go up on them. i am in Carrollton too. PM sent
    Last edited by Magma; 07-19-2007 at 01:21 PM.
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Its alot easier to do it using jack stands. Remove the driver's side front wheel to help snake the bar in. Then put the car on the ground and then torque the bolts down. Getting the bar in and out with ramps is more difficult.

Just my

Quote Originally Posted by 2K Miata View Post
    Its alot easier to do it using jack stands. Remove the driver's side front wheel to help snake the bar in. Then put the car on the ground and then torque the bolts down. Getting the bar in and out with ramps is more difficult.

Just my
    Is it pretty easy to reach the endlinks with the car down on the ground? I may try and just do it when I get home and go for the ramps if I can't get it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Just my
    The problem I always have with this is that you are supposed to torque the end link bolts with the car on the ground. Ramps make this pretty easy but without them it is nearly impossible to get an eye and the torque wrench on the end link bolts of a lowered Miata.

Just my
    I'll second that... Of course, if you're stubborn, we'd love to watch you suffer.

If you have 2 jacks, it's also acceptable to weight the suspension - just lift the car by placing the jacks under the end of the lower arms and *just* lift the frame off the stands...
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by tailchaser View Post
    I'll second that... Of course, if you're stubborn, we'd love to watch you suffer.

I drive around in the yard before tightening to remove all preload.

Just pull it up on the curb. The neighbors love it!

Got any scrap lumber lying around? Build a platform out of 2x4s for each tire. Jack it up and put the platform under the tire. Insta lift.

Ended up doing it with jackstands and just jacking up the A arm with my spare floor jack before torquing the end links. I didn't actually lift the car off of the the jackstands, just fully compressed the suspension so I hope that is ok.

First impressions...to be honest not much difference. Maybe a little less body roll but I've just driven it around my apt parking lot at 30 mph. The FM bar itself didn't seem much larger but was a lot heavier.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater