Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front license plate bracket...

Default Front license plate bracket...

Hey guys... I got ANOTHER warning for not having my front plate on, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna go back to the gimpy stock mount. Where can I pick up one of those nifty "side mount" brackets? What's it called... a Stiffie?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I believe the guy that did the Stiffy isn't doing them anymore. I have the KG Works one on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I believe the guy that did the Stiffy isn't doing them anymore. I have the KG Works one on my car.
    Hmmm... how does it mount to the car? You got a link?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Hmmm... how does it mount to the car? You got a link?
    I got it from Metro. There is a nut and bolt with two large washers. The bolt goes through the baby teeth, with the washers sandwiching it.

I got it from Metro. There is a nut and bolt with two large washers. The bolt goes through the baby teeth, with the washers sandwiching it.
    OK cool... any problems with the plate screws rubbing on the bumper?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

OK cool... any problems with the plate screws rubbing on the bumper?
    Nah... you just bend it to the angle you want.

Very nice... thanks for the info!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

I made my own custom bracket for the plate. It mounts the plate in the middle of the opening in the fron t bumper and then at speed the plate folds down flat to allow better air flow. It was a real inexpensive mod. I will try to post a pic or two tonight. If you like I can give you step by step instructions on how to make and install one of your own.
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

By the way, I have a never used stock mount from the dealer that I would let go for $10.

Someone on the pointy board recently posted about this. What city is giving you the warnings?
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

+1 I like mine.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Someone on the pointy board recently posted about this. What city is giving you the warnings?
    State troopers both times (one recently on my trip, one the other day on my way to Denton)... so it's probably not concern in the city, but it's lurking in the back of my head and I just don't want the hassle.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

State troopers both times (one recently on my trip, one the other day on my way to Denton)... so it's probably not concern in the city, but it's lurking in the back of my head and I just don't want the hassle.
    I was ticketed for it last year by a Denton County constable in the City of Dallas. It was in the little part of Dallas that stretches in to Denton County, just blocks from my house.

The state troopers between here (Lubbock) and home are definitely looking for it. 3 warnings in 1 week, 2 were less than an hour apart.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    The state troopers between here (Lubbock) and home are definitely looking for it. 3 warnings in 1 week, 2 were less than an hour apart.
    Communists!
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Communists!
    For enforcing the laws?

Yes I agree its a stupid law but why are ya'll upset because the police are enforcing it? The state requires 2 license plates. Either obey it or expect to get a ticket. Just like speed limits or anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    For enforcing the laws?

Yes I agree its a stupid law but why are ya'll upset because the police are enforcing it? The state requires 2 license plates. Either obey it or expect to get a ticket. Just like speed limits or anything else.
    I tend to agree. If you are going to have the law, it should be enforced. Unenforced laws are a bad thing in my mind. When everyone knows a law like front plates is not enforced, people become less concerned with following the law. This leads to a situation where cops can always find something to pull you over for when they really don't have probable cause.

My bigger frustration with TX is that the state seems to actually want you to brake this law. In California (and several other states) no front license plate is a fix-it-ticket. This means that you MUST replace the license plate, and have it signed off by the highway patrol office as fixed. Once signed-off, first time offenders simply pay a small processing fee (It was $25 when I was out there). To discourage repeat offenses, the fee doubled with each subsequent citation. When I was ticketed for it here in Texas, I immediately proceeded to purchase a bracket so I could get the car legal. When I got to the court house and spoke to the clerk, I asked how I get it signed off. She rolled her eyes and said something to the effect of "Sir, we really don't care if you correct the situation... as long as you pay the fine." And the fine was well over $100. Perhaps it would be too much work for her to get off her fat ass and come look at the plate, but the state has an annual inspection for sake! If they want people to run the plate, add it to the inspection checklist.

When everyone knows a law like front plates is not enforced, people become less concerned with following the law. This leads to a situation where cops can always find something to pull you over for when they really don't have probable cause. If they want people to run the plate, add it to the inspection checklist.
    Hooray 4th Amendment Rights! And, hell yes, why is it not a requirement for an inspection sticker??? Not that I want it to be, mind you...

Quote Originally Posted by HudsonHawk View Post
    For enforcing the laws?

Agreed! That's why I'm inquiring about a decent-looking solution. The thing about it is, it's just a friggin hassle because I've never received a ticket for it, only a written warning and the waste of my time. Over the years, I've probably been pulled over 6 times for it, so twice in a month has got me thinking "I don't need this crap."

The weird thing is, I ran a Euro tag on the front of my BMW that didn't even match the back tag, but I never got pulled over for that. Go effing figure. Plus, every time I've been stopped for it, I've whipped out the ol' "the bracket's on order" line and that seems to be fine with them. I'd let it go at that, but I just get growly when I see the gumball machine light up in my rearview...
    Last edited by trickyrix; 07-26-2007 at 10:27 AM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

So, all of you guys got pulled over are outside the Dallas county? I hardly get out of the Rockwall, Dallas, Terrant counties. I have never had any hassel from anyone. I try to get by w/o one becuase it really block the air. My car is already running hot (new radiatior/thermostat/hoses) in stop and go downtown traffic!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    So, all of you guys got pulled over are outside the Dallas county? I hardly get out of the Rockwall, Dallas, Terrant counties. I have never had any hassel from anyone. I try to get by w/o one becuase it really block the air. My car is already running hot (new radiatior/thermostat/hoses) in stop and go downtown traffic!
    I guess the Dallas city/county officers are more reasonable and don't believe in good old-fashioned revenue generation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast