Thread: Shock Options, Too Many Choices

Default Shock Options, Too Many Choices

Well, my new ride has 92,000 on the clock and have the stock shocks. I have been looking at the options and really can't tell what shock is the best bang for the buck. KYB, Tokico, Bilstein, Koni, Tein, adjustable, non adjustable, coil over, what works? I am also planning to do springs at the same time. I am leaning toward the Tein because I like the adjustablility in the dampening and spring adjustment for ride height. Any suggestions will be welcomed. Right now it is just going to be a fun street ride, but when I get more time, I would love to Auto Cross and do some track days.

Thanks,
    Goodwrench

If the price tag of the Tein Flex doesn't scare you of, then you can't go wrong with them. There are several good options that are cheaper, but none of them stack up to the Teins IMHO. If I had the cash at the time, I would have gone with the Teins. Instead, I am running Flyin Miata Springs with KYB AGX shocks... A nice combo for the price but I still toy with the idea of swapping them out for the Teins.

I have hte KYB's w/ FM springs on my '99 I don't paticularly like them that much, even though its not a bad setup it was better than the Koni w/ Eibachs. I also had the Koni 5 way w/ Eibach Springs on my 2000 SE they still seemed to cushy to me. I've heard really good thing about the Tein Super Streets Once I get to the point that I need to change my suspension thats what I'm going to get.

http://trackdogracing.com/website/suspension/tein.htm
    Blah blah blah!

Thanks for your thoughts!

After reading that the KYB and Koni shocks were good but still had something missing, I am leaning more toward the Tein SS setup. I found a place that sells them for $900. with free shipping. After adding up the cost of the shocks (KYB, Koni, Tokico), springs and dust boots (yep, mine are shot) you are within 1 to 200 dollars of the Tein's.

Now I just need to convince the wife

Mike

Gary at Track Dog Racing is about as competative as all of the rest and is here locally in Dallas. For a little more, the Tein Flex come as a whole unit that includes the top plate and springs. All you have to do is get the old shocks out and install the new Flex as a whole.

Make sur eto check out the Tien website. There are supposedly a whole bunch of counterfiet "Tein" suspension components out there.

Linkie 2:
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Goodwrench View Post
    Thanks for your thoughts!

After reading that the KYB and Koni shocks were good but still had something missing, I am leaning more toward the Tein SS setup. I found a place that sells them for $900. with free shipping. After adding up the cost of the shocks (KYB, Koni, Tokico), springs and dust boots (yep, mine are shot) you are within 1 to 200 dollars of the Tein's.

Now I just need to convince the wife

Mike
    Don't forget to add the price of either FM or Fat Cat Motorsports shock mounts to increase shock travel if you're going to run a traditional shock/spring combo. This is really important in lowered Miatas.

I've been running TEIN flex coilovers for almost 2 years now and I love them. The SS give you more shock travel when lowered by having a shortened shock body, but the Flex adds pillow ball top mounts and adjustable shock body length. These two features allow you to go extremely low (if you want) and maintain shock travel.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Don't forget to add the price of either FM or Fat Cat Motorsports shock mounts to increase shock travel if you're going to run a traditional shock/spring combo. This is really important in lowered Miatas.
    Or get some for way less at ISC Racing.
    http://www.iscracing.net/Miata_Page.htm

Miata Upper Mounting Plate
    Raises mounting point 1 1/2"
    $35.00/ea
    *We will make to a custom height for $40.00/ea*

Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Quote Originally Posted by ray_sir_6 View Post
    Or get some for way less at ISC Racing.
    http://www.iscracing.net/Miata_Page.htm

Miata Upper Mounting Plate
    Raises mounting point 1 1/2"
    $35.00/ea
    *We will make to a custom height for $40.00/ea*

Cool option! Thanks for sharing that.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    If the price tag of the Tein Flex doesn't scare you of, then you can't go wrong with them. There are several good options that are cheaper...
    +1 to all of that. All of the folks running the Tein Flex agree they're the cat's meow. I found a set of 2nd-hand Ground Control coilovers for a steal, and I'm running those with the KYB AGXs and the Fat Cat Motorsports bumpstops. For about 1/4 the price of a set of Tein Flex, I love it.

If you're not out to lower the car a lot, you might find that a nice set of shocks is all you need. Shocks and sway bars can really transform the car - even with stock springs. If your '97 is like my '96, though, you may want to lose the 4X4-looking wheel gaps...

Good luck!
    '96 M-edition

Go with either the Teins or something similar. Do it right the first time! I have the KYB AGX shocks, GC coilover kit and the FM shock mounts. I love it but if I were to have done everthing at once (I got a refund on my FM springs and then upgraded to the GC kit) I would've saved up for the Teins.
    Go with the Tein Flex, don't try to save a few bucks and get the lower model. Later when your car turns into an AutoX or track day machine you'll with you had the better kit. The Flex has the shortened shock bodies as well and adjustible too I thought, so great if you wish to slam the ride and keep your suspension travel.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Wow, you guys are great!

One other question came up, if I went with the Tein coilovers, would I still be in the stock class in Autocrossing events (the rest of the car would be in stock form)?

Goodwrench

Wow, you guys are great!

One other question came up, if I went with the Tein coilovers, would I still be in the stock class in Autocrossing events (the rest of the car would be in stock form)?

Goodwrench
    Nope... you would have to maintain the stock springs for stock class, which limits you to the KYB, Koni, or Bilstein shocks.

Wow, you guys are great!

Goodwrench
    No, you can't change springs in stock class. You would be street preppared, or sts2 if you have a 1.6L or 1.8 with open diff.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Gary at Track Dog Racing is about as competative as all of the rest and is here locally in Dallas. For a little more, the Tein Flex come as a whole unit that includes the top plate and springs. All you have to do is get the old shocks out and install the new Flex as a whole.

Make sur eto check out the Tien website. There are supposedly a whole bunch of counterfiet "Tein" suspension components out there.

Linkie 2:
    +1 After consulting with Gary, he suggested Tein SS for me for my daily driver. Unfortunately, Uncle Sam wanted an extra $3000 in April, so getting that sweet ride will have to wait for a while. Also if you don't want to install yourself, Gary will do so for a reasonable fee I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    No, you can't change springs in stock class. You would be street preppared, or sts2 if you have a 1.6L or 1.8 with open diff.
    Just spent some time looking at the different classes and the sts2 class seems like a winner. Many of the item listed are what I would like to do slowly on my Miata. Crossdrilled rotors (mine are warped), sway bars, racing seat, steering wheel, exhaust.

Mr. Goodwrench

Save your money on getting the cross-drilled rotors (unless of course you're doing it for aesthetic reasons). I believe even the SPEC guys run the stock rotors...

I'm pretty sure you've got to keep the stock wheel for STS2.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

If you would like to test ride a Miata with the Teins, we have several local guys around that I am sure will let you test, I have two cars you culd test ride. I would recommend the Flex if the budget will allow, even if it takes a couple more months and a few Ebay items to sell.

The advantage of having the independent ride height and the provided pillar mounts is the improved ride. You are doubling your spring rate and then some and with the superior Tein dampening control you can make a sweet street ride and a great track setup. Adjustment is accessable on top verses some at the bottom, that sucks. You also have clicks so you know where you are at.

Having independent ride height allows you to NOT preload the springs. You adjust the ride height by turning the upper shock body into the lower shock body. Your spring does not increase in preload like a standard coil over set, and intern, a much better ride control.

The Tein Super Street which includes a matched spring set or other dampeners such as Koni and AGX with a Ground Control Spring setup will preload the spring when you are trying to balance out the car. With one spring preloaded more than another your ride is compromissed. Not so much a track issue, but not as compliant on the street.

We upgraded the springs set for our red '99 Beast and the yellow '96 with 550 front and 400 rear spring weight for the ultimate Tein setup. Catch me if you can!

Hope we can help.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com

Crossdrilled rotors (mine are warped),
    Um, then why would you get another set of crossdrilled rotors?! They are only for looks as Treibenschnell said, unless you have the $3000 crossdrilled rotors that you find on LeMans or F1 cars! I cracked and warped a nice set of cross drilled rotors my first track day.

And yes the Spec Miata guys do run stock rotors; all you need is the right race pads. Just get the Brembo stock replacements, cheap stock rotor but Brembo quality unlike some cheap chinese stamped Vatozone rotor. I got my last set on sale from Nopi online for $20 each.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...