Thread: Drives Edge Night Event 8-11

Default Drives Edge Night Event 8-11

Went out to TMS to check out the action under the lights. There were a couple of Miata's holding up our banner. One car (#12 at the Miata event at MSR, a black and yellow spec car) was going well in the blue run group and another new Miata was doing great too. The newer '06 has had several suspension mods and was eating up some of the Porsche's on the track. Good stuff.

On a sad and expensive note, a 996 based turbo slamed head first into the barrior and has about $20K worth of damage (at least). The driver is fine, but shaken up a bit, most likely due to the expensive repair bills he will have to explain to his insurance company. But at least he walked away!!!!

Rob,
    It was good to meet you at TMS at night with TDE. I am the black spec #12 miata. I hope to see you at a PCA event soon. I came away from the TMS with severly warped rotors!!!!! Oh well, I will take that over what happened to the P car. He is a nice guy and thankfully, he is ok physically. He will be sore for a while. Pocketbook will be a different matter. It was fun to ride the banks on the track. I wish I could have driven a car with much more HP. There were many extremely high HP cars. Anyway, good to meet you again. I will contact you later.
    Alan

Default Good to meet you too!

Alan,

Likewise, it was good to meet you. My friend that I was visiting, was running the Maroon 2003 Mustand Cobra SVT. He has about 600HP at the crank and about 520 RWHP. The problem was that he blew a seal in the cooling tank for the supercharger and that pretty much did in his night. I helped him fix it, but there are other underlying issues.

I am heading over to his house on Thursday to help him fix it, and we are putting on two layers of heat shield on my car. Should be a busy night.

Hope to you see you out at the PCA event at MSR.

Take care.
    Rob T.

where did the Porsche hit the barrier?

and why? mechanical failure, brain fart, or what?

I didn't bother to run my Miata due to the length of straights, don't want to be a mobile chicane
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    where did the Porsche hit the barrier?

and why? mechanical failure, brain fart, or what?

I didn't bother to run my Miata due to the length of straights, don't want to be a mobile chicane

I do not know what the reason for the accident, but it was inside the infield esses. It looked like he straightened the esses and did not complete the right turn portion. As for the mobile chicane, I would much rather be on the track with 35 other miata/specs.

Default The seal did not offer up the towel...everyone got water wetter...

We heard the brake squeal and the impact. The tire marks were exactly in the middle of the track and veered (sp?) sharply to the left. We all tried to figure out what caused it. My guess is (way) over correction as he entered the S's. Someone told me that 4WD / AWD cars have to be careful in that section, as the transition is very fast and can catch them out in a hurry....I guess so.
    Last edited by rob76turbo; 08-14-2007 at 05:34 PM. Reason: fix typo's