Thread: Patching small holes in top?

Default Patching small holes in top?

Driving home today I noticed I have 4-5 small holes in the top and it's causing a bit of extra wind noise especially on the highway. Being my first convertible I've never had experience with patching holes in the soft top. Are there any DIY patch kits you've guys had luck with? If not I may just go to a used NB rear window glass top.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Get some small iron-on patches 'All Purpose Household Sealant GOOP' at Target. I patched a big hole in the first top my '99 had. Also patched some on Majik's car and had good results.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Get some small iron-on patches 'All Purpose Household Sealant GOOP' at Target. I patched a big hole in the first top my '99 had. Also patched some on Majik's car and had good results.
    I'll give that a shot, think Gorilla glue would do the trick?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I use Shoe Goo and you see how great my top looks!

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    I use Shoe Goo and you see how great my top looks!
    Only one word can describe your top...classy. I'll grab some of those patches today and just try and glue them on the inside. I was hoping this 14 year old car wouldn't turn into a project but I guess it's just not possible.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

My roof was cut open earlier this year by a burglar in Dallas. I ended up taking it to an auto-upholstery shop, and they charged about $75 to use some sort of super-glue to fix a patch on. It's held up, but I've noticed this afternoon that the patch is starting to come off again. I'm still reluctant to shell out money for a new top... I know I need to though.

You can read more about my story (including suggestions for fixing holes) here

Good luck! :)

Update, I bought some small iron on patches and some general purpose super goop and it seems to be working well. The stuff smells terrible though. Mine were just small wear holes so I'm sure the top will get worse over time and I'll end up with a NB top. Plastic rear window blows.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

When you do get a new top, I'd like to hear how your experience goes. The quote I got was $1,200 for the top and labor. I've read they're a pain to install, too. But I really need one...

Walter,

Just keep an eye out at the wrecking yards for an NB with a good top. You can swap the frame & top out and have a nicer top with a glass rear window.

If you decide to go with an OEM replacement get one from http://www.cabrioworld.com - I got one from them for my old 92 B&T and it fit nicely. Less than $250 when I bought it (price has gone up a little) and it cost me $225 cash to have a local (in Lewisville) shop install it.

Hell, it's not that hard to install one yourself either. I put another top on my 92 blue by myself before I sold it.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    The quote I got was $1,200 for the top and labor. I've read they're a pain to install, too. But I really need one...
    You need to talk to Rogue he can help ya with the top!

http://www.miatasolutions.com/