Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Filter Question

Default Oil Filter Question

Does anybody here use the larger oil filters as discussed on the pointy board, benefits supposedly being more filter media and a little more oil capacity as well?
    Such as: Purolator L14610
    Fram PH7317
    Wix 51356
    Champion Lab PH2867

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

OEM for me.

I know Altiain did, but I don't see any benifit from a slightly larger filter.

I change the oil every 3,000 miles without fail, so not like I need more filter area to buy more time.

YMMV

I use the larger Mobil 1 filter, I think it's M110
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

I've converted to the 110 Mobil 1 filter also... Primarily because it fits the cap wrench better so it's easier to swap out on the 8, and it's handy to only have to buy 1 filter size.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I use the larger Mobil 1 filter, I think it's M110
    I don't think Mobil even makes those, think they are made by Champion and they get a Mobil paint job, box, and Mobil one price.

cam76034 how much more capacity are you getting with these filters??

OEM for me.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I don't think Mobil even makes those, think they are made by Champion and they get a Mobil paint job, box, and Mobil one price.

I haven't tried it yet, but I seem to recall reading that it went up from 3.7 to an even 4 L.

I normally use OEM, but I ran out and did not feel like going over to the dealer or paying shipping for just filters. I ended up going to autozone and getting one of the Mobile 1 filters in the standard size. It was that or FRAM, so the choice was easy.

They are made by Champion, but they get a synthetic filter medium that has a better filtration rating than conventional paper mediums. The end plate and filter can are also made of a thicker material to better resist pressure spikes on startup.

I'm a big fan of running the biggest filter element you can fit on an engine (given similar filtration ratings). The more surface area in the filter medium, the lower the pressure drop for a given flow rate, which means you're a lot less likely to trigger the pressure bypass valve under sustained high rpm operation.

Is it overkill? Probably... but paying $5 more for a better quality filter is cheap insurance, imho. I use Mobil1 filters on both of my cars.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

So does it give you any noticeable increase in capacity?

you can use the 626 filter for increased filtration,... and about 3 ounces more oil.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I use the Mobil-1 M1-104 oil filter. I agree with altiain, a little more money for more peace of mind. The few ounces of extra capacity is just a small bonus.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    I'm a big fan of running the biggest filter element you can fit on an engine (given similar filtration ratings). The more surface area in the filter medium, the lower the pressure drop for a given flow rate, which means you're a lot less likely to trigger the pressure bypass valve under sustained high rpm operation.

Is it overkill? Probably... but paying $5 more for a better quality filter is cheap insurance, imho. I use Mobil1 filters on both of my cars.
    Had you always run the larger filter in your '99, how many miles did you get out of your Miata's motor before it got the John Day treatment.

Had you always run the larger filter in your '99, how many miles did you get out of your Miata's motor before it got the John Day treatment.
    The first motor, or the second one? The third one is is still running, right?

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Given the 'bulletproofness' of the Miata, I figure the engineers who designed the car have a small clue on things like oil capacity, pressure and filtration.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Given the 'bulletproofness' of the Miata, I figure the engineers who designed the car have a small clue on things like oil capacity, pressure and filtration.
    But that's not what I read on the interweb!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

But that's not what I read on the interweb!
    Then it must be all true!

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    I know down deep that what you say is true, but then I hold that tiny little filter in the palm of my hand and think, bigger ought to be better.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    ...bigger ought to be better.
    that's what she said...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast