Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam Angle Sensor O-Ring

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I have a theory that the whole oil on the heater hose thing is more myth then reality. On my 1.6, the CAS was leaking, but none was getting on the heater hose (as it is on the other side as you have stated). Guess what... my oil free heater hose split just like all those that get blamed on the CAS leak. So did my upper and lower radiator hoses. Coolant hoses are rubber, and exposed to a ton of heat for a long time. They will all eventually split if you don't replace them at a reasonable interval. If your car has over 100k miles on it and you have not replaced them, I would recommend replacing all 9 regardless of oil leaks or how the hoses look.
    When I did the o-ring on mine, I saw that the heater hoses were directly below the CAS and slathered in oil. The hoses were soft and kinda gooey - like the oil had been working on them. If they're just exposed to heat, they'll usually get hard as a rock and eventually split as well. Either way it's bad news...

+1 for doing hoses while you're in there... and check your belts too! I know synaptik has a little bit of a belt problem as well...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

good tip on the hoses, but I replaced all 8 coolant hoses on both my 93s this spring

and then after watching a guy bail out of his car at MSR when the heater core split and drenched him with hot coolant, I found a molded hose at NAPA that works to bypass the heater core

installed that on my track car last week
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Quote Originally Posted by nealb View Post
    good tip on the hoses, but I replaced all 8 coolant hoses on both my 93s this spring

and then after watching a guy bail out of his car at MSR when the heater core split and drenched him with hot coolant, I found a molded hose at NAPA that works to bypass the heater core

installed that on my track car last week
    Got a part number?

yes, NAPA 10908

this is much longer in the straight section that fits on the back of the head than you need, so just cut to length

has a nice molded 180 curve that you cut an inch or so off the end that fits on the pipe going to the front of the motor

memory says it wasn't cheap, maybe $15
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)

Cool... That will come in handy on my seven.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12