Thread: Small speakers.

Driver
    Blog Entries

Question Small speakers.

I have a '99 with the Bose infect,....er, option. It doesn't sound that great. Since I was bored today, I pulled a door panel to try to learn a few things, and I think that some small speakers with a broad frequency range would solve part of the sound deficiency.

For background, the first thing I did was to disconnect the tweeter and wire a Jensen Triax that I had laying around in its place to check what it did for sound quality - the quality improved a lot, and a lot more volume came from the Jensen than was coming from the tweeter. Next, I measured resistance across the speaker terminals. The Jensen registered at about 4 ohms on my cheap Harbor Freight multimeter, and I couldn't get the tweeter to register at all. I don't know if this means that the tweeter is blown - there isn't much volume coming from it, but it has the same volume as the other side.

Blown or not, I figure that I can probably get a bit of improvement in sound quality if I yank the tweeters and replace them with something that has a broader frequency range, or at least more volume than what is in there now. That in turn would allow me to put more thought into the Bosectomy.

Does anyone know of a speaker that will fit in the area for the tweeter without cutting/damaging the door panel and has a frequency range broader than that of a tweeter, and if so, where I could get it? (A picture of the speaker is at http://www.mikewalsted.com/SmallSpeaker.jpg ). Or, any idea on how to mount a 3 1/2 inch speaker in that spot, considering the posts holding the current speaker are less than 3 inches apart?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully, this is in the right forum.

UPDATE - I put these speakers (as mentioned by CraiginTX below) in place of the tweeters, and the improvement is incredible.
    Last edited by Walsted; 11-09-2007 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Update
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

From what I understand the entire system really needs to be pulled out before real upgrades can happen. Search here or at miata.net for the bosectomy. I cant remember the whole thing, but I think there are some amps somewhere in the system.

Driver
    Blog Entries

The sound quality of my current system has encouraged me to read a LOT about Bosectomies, and from what I understand that there are two separate single channel amps with balanced line inputs that feed the big speaker (1/2 ohm) and tweeter (supposedly 3 ohm) in parallel. Since the head unit needs an amp with balanced line inputs, and the speaker circuit has less than 1/2 of an ohm of resistance compared to the normal 4 ohms of common speakers, it is easiest to replace the whole system than to try to make it work with new door speakers.

My thinking was since the tweeter resistance was close to normal stereo speakers (4 ohm), speakers with a broader frequency range in the tweeter spots might fill out the music sound enough where it doesn't annoy me quite so much. I just can't find a speaker that will fit AND has a low enough frequency limit. Most of the small-enough speakers are tweeters, with the lower limit 2,000 Hz or above, and I was hoping for something around 200 Hz. The speakers that I have found that dip down to the 200HZ range won't fit between the mounting posts for the current tweeter.

Are there any shops in D/FW that have speaker components?

Thanks for the help.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Check out car toys or go up to fry's. A really good improvement would be some nice headrest speakers. I'd worry about those first and some quality door speakers. Then the tweeters later. but thats just imho

Quote Originally Posted by Black_devil_miata View Post
    Check out car toys or go up to fry's. A really good improvement would be some nice headrest speakers. I'd worry about those first and some quality door speakers. Then the tweeters later. but thats just imho
    I don't think he's got headrest speakers, does he?

Anyhow, I've got component speakers in mine and I'm very happy with the setup. If you don't have the headrest speakers, then you might as well go ahead and pony up for components, IMHO. My tweeters are up high in the door panel and really help out when I'm going down the highway with the top down.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    I have a '99 with the Bose infect,....er, option. It doesn't sound that great. Since I was bored today, I pulled a door panel to try to learn a few things, and I think that some small speakers with a broad frequency range would solve part of the sound deficiency.
    +1 on the "rip it all out" advice.

Having said that: A couple of guys on diymobileaudio.com are running the 2" Aura extended range driver in the upper opening. (LINKIE) With a '99, you can stuff 8's in the lower door opening. Of course, with a combination of drivers like that, you'd probably need active crossovers (and 4 channels of amplification) to get it all dialed in and sounding good.

A decent set of 6 1/2 components - or even just coaxes would powered by a decent 2-ch amp would probably improve the sound over what you have by an order of magnitude...

I put a cheap aftermarket CD-player, an old Soundstream 2-ch amp I had on a shelf, and a sub-$100 set of 6 1/2" components (recommended by several on diymobileaudio) in my '96. Total investment ~$200. MUCH better than factory sound. It won't win any awards, but it sounds good and I don't worry about anyone wanting to steal any of it. The one thing I'm less than happy with is tweeter placement - I put the new tweeter in the factory housing for a stealthy install, and it's a bad location. NBs are a little better than NAs for this, though.
    '96 M-edition

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post

Having said that: A couple of guys on diymobileaudio.com are running the 2" Aura extended range driver in the upper opening. (LINKIE) With a '99, you can stuff 8's in the lower door opening. Of course, with a combination of drivers like that, you'd probably need active crossovers (and 4 channels of amplification) to get it all dialed in and sounding good.

A decent set of 6 1/2 components - or even just coaxes would powered by a decent 2-ch amp would probably improve the sound over what you have by an order of magnitude...

I put a cheap aftermarket CD-player, an old Soundstream 2-ch amp I had on a shelf, and a sub-$100 set of 6 1/2" components (recommended by several on diymobileaudio) in my '96. Total investment ~$200. MUCH better than factory sound. It won't win any awards, but it sounds good and I don't worry about anyone wanting to steal any of it. The one thing I'm less than happy with is tweeter placement - I put the new tweeter in the factory housing for a stealthy install, and it's a bad location. NBs are a little better than NAs for this, though.
    Thanks for the link. There are a couple of speakers there that are just under $20 a piece that would work, but you make a good point about being able to rip it all out and have a useable and better sounding system for $200, and the $40 is a good start toward that $200.

Is there anywhere in D/FW with a similar speaker inventory? If so, I might swing by and pick up a couple of speakers comparable to those if they are comparably priced, and give me more time to figure out what exactly I want to replace the Bose so I only have to do it once.

Thanks for the help.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Fry's probably has a decent inventory. Car Toys is also a good call, and Best Buy might not be a bad shot either. I went to Earmark, where they have a good range of stuff you can listen to in-store (they're on Beltline just east of Marsh in Addison). I ended up letting them install my whole setup, simply because I was too lazy/busy/preoccupied to do it myself. But their pricing on the parts (Alpine head unit and Boston Acoustic components) was more than reasonable, IMHO - they actually beat Crutchfield's prices.

I would've done the install myself, but I'd had enough fun with my previous three cars...

My setup is very good as-is, but I'll probably end up going with an external amp and sub. BTW, blackroadster is a good source of G2 for this stuff... he's got a killer system!
    Last edited by trickyrix; 10-29-2007 at 11:13 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

PM sent, btw...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Damn, yous guys know a helluva lot more about stereo than I do! I need to have one of you guys take a look at my system. A co-worker said that I should run my front speakers just through the head unit and run just the sub off of the amp. A friend wired my crap up so I'm sure it could be done better! I just want to be able to adjust the sub volume indepent of the front speakers!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Quote Originally Posted by icepenguin66 View Post
    Damn, yous guys know a helluva lot more about stereo than I do! I need to have one of you guys take a look at my system. A co-worker said that I should run my front speakers just through the head unit and run just the sub off of the amp. A friend wired my crap up so I'm sure it could be done better! I just want to be able to adjust the sub volume indepent of the front speakers!
    Man... if you get the right head unit, you can have that control (mine does, but I don't have the setup to use it). Hell, you can probably get a piggyback unit that will allow that adjustment... I'm sure there are plenty of smart cats that will be there with answers/advice on Wed Nite.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Man... if you get the right head unit, you can have that control (mine does, but I don't have the setup to use it). Hell, you can probably get a piggyback unit that will allow that adjustment... I'm sure there are plenty of smart cats that will be there with answers/advice on Wed Nite.
    The options on the head unit have both bass and sub volume but I don't know how to wire it up, I looked at it after a friend wired my system up. I can do an engine swap in a couple of hourse but I can't do electrical to save my life!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

Not too complicated. I wired up my system and can adjust my sub independently via the HU. I run a 4ch amp. Two channels to the components in the doors and the other two to the sub. If you haven't heard my system, let me show you one of these Wednesday nights.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

- they actually beat Crutchfield's prices.
    Crutchfield is expensive.

There are much cheaper places out there.

Linkie

I'm sure someone has a better place that is cheaper than this link, but I am just giving it for compareson to Crutchfield.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Driver
    Blog Entries

PM response sent. Thanks.
    Fry's probably has a decent inventory.
    I couldn't find any tweeter sized speakers at Fry's in Arlington. I was somewhat surprised.
    Car Toys is also a good call, and Best Buy might not be a bad shot either.
    Haven't tried Car Toys - Best Buy in Burleson didn't have a real great selection.
    I went to Earmark, where they have a good range of stuff you can listen to in-store (they're on Beltline just east of Marsh in Addison). I ended up letting them install my whole setup, simply because I was too lazy/busy/preoccupied to do it myself. But their pricing on the parts (Alpine head unit and Boston Acoustic components) was more than reasonable, IMHO - they actually beat Crutchfield's prices.
    How convenient - they are on my way to work - I guess I have to leave for work early on Thursday evening. Hopefully they will have something reasonable to replace the small speakers in the door so I can postpone the Bosectomy until I have a plan figured out. (A major portion of the plan involves Santa bringing me a head unit and speakers, once I have them picked out and on the list. The hard part is settling on a head unit and speakers, and deciding whether or not I want to go with a separate amp.)
    I would've done the install myself, but I'd had enough fun with my previous three cars...

My setup is very good as-is, but I'll probably end up going with an external amp and sub. BTW, blackroadster is a good source of G2 for this stuff... he's got a killer system!
    After seeing what Best Buy did to a friends NA and proposed doing to her son's '94 TBird, I prefer doing stereos myself. I guess other places do a better job, (they would be hard pressed to do worse,) but I'd be worried about the car and install until I took it apart and verified everything, anyway.

What is G2?

Thanks for the help.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    What is G2?
    info, intel, etc...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CraiginTX View Post

Having said that: A couple of guys on diymobileaudio.com are running the 2" Aura extended range driver in the upper opening. (Madisound Speakers Link) ...
    I ordered a couple of those on Sunday, and installed them today.

Thank you for letting me know about them! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Just swapping the tweeters for those speakers make a HUGE improvement. I removed the stock tweeters, and just wired the Auras in their place without doing anything else. The bass is cleaned up, and the midrange reappeared. Just under $40 shipped, and well, well, worth it. The Bosectomy doesn't seem so important, anymore.

By the way, Thank You, again! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio