Thread: insurance ratings for vehicles...

Default insurance ratings for vehicles...

Hello people. I just posted this on Miata.net as well, but haven't seen an answer yet....

I just bought an OTM: a Chevy Colorado x-cab truck. 3.5 liter 5 cylinder engine, 2wd, with a Z71 appearance package - not 4wd. Engine is rated at 210 or 220 hp.

After I bought it, I called to get insurance on this truck, and it was shockingly high.

I was told this truck had a rating of 18, which was very high. My Miata I was told was a 7, which is good, and costs much less to insure. Furthermore, I was told a Corvette was something like a 26, much higher still to insure.

This is in Texas. I have been looking online for any type of resource that lists various auto's insurance ratings. Anybody have any information about this? I am in Texas if that makes a difference. Anybody reading this: ALWAYS call to find out insurance prices before you buy a car. It's too late for me. And protect your insurance rating with your life, as you would your credit.

Should've got a Toyota.

Chris

Toyota? I have no response to that.

i dont know the ratings but my 2002 xterra cost $5 less a month than my 96 miata. both with full coverage. it does sound odd that a new mid size truck would have a high rating.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Could it have something to do with theft ratings? See this:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/article....891&src=NA

When I had my ZO6 it was only $50-$60 dollars more per 6 months than the Miata. I called them twice before I bought the car as I did not believe it. Our work trucks are expensive to insure. Not just in the DFW area.

Using Nationwide insurance for Miata. Not saying they are great just where I am now.

My '03 Expedition runs about 25% more per 6 months than my '02 Miata with the exact same coverage. But the Expedition was also about twice as expensive as the Miata. Not allot you can do when they control the rates…..

Our company truck is a '03 chevy truck and it runs about 3x the miata. this is full coverage vs full coverage. I always flet it was a little on the high side. My wife and I both have clean driving records. Bummer, Randy.

I will be insurance shopping here in the next several days. About as fun as self prostate exams.

Breackenridge Insurance- 512-445-4222

They are in Austin, but they find the best rates out of anyone I talked to in Austin atleast.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Dang I read your post on Miata.net bigDstars, doesn't sound good for the home team.....

I hate shopping insurance also but it's almost a requirement anymore to make sure your not getting screwed.

I won! After demoralizing internet insurance quote requests, I stopped in at a Farmer's Insurance office in Richardson. My 6 month premium for the truck went from 706.10 (which is less than I was quoted over the phone) to less than $400. The 92 Miata is about $250 for the 6 month premium. The people you visit in person seem more likely to help you than impersonal internet quotes or over the phone quotes.

Now I can enjoy the truck, and figure out where I need to spend the savings: Better handling Miata maybe?

The people you visit in person seem more likely to help you than impersonal internet quotes or over the phone quotes.
    Was she cute?

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews2004
    Was she cute?
    You're married :P
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

I didn't think she was especially cute until she started saving me big coin!