Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint options

Default Paint options

I'm thinking about getting my Integra repainted, since I've decided to keep it (my new RC plane fits in it, so I don't have to buy a van. LOL.)

Mainly, the hood, front fenders, and hatch are badly faded; the rear bumper has some cracked and chipped paint, and the front bumper has serious fading and some scratches.

So, I was wondering what would be the best route to go.

1. Pay out the wazoo for a full repaint by a reputable body shop.

2. Pay Maaco for a crappy respray.

3. Strip, prime, and mask the car myself, and then take it to Maaco for a much better quality respray.

4. Buy a few rattle cans at Wal Mart and ghetto-fy it.

What do you guys think?

If I decided on stripping and prepping it myself, what kind of time-tools-problems would I be looking at? I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. Or maybe I could organize a stripping party for all of us...

Any suggestions would be helpful... I'd prefer not to spend over $1k for the whole deal, and preferably much less though I doubt that's going to happen. From my experience, a good quality full respray is about $3k...

When I got my Miata repainted, I had the stripes done, the front lip and spoiler installed, and mud guards installed all for around $1200, so I doubt they did anything special with the paint and it's still looking good.

I dunno.

Thoughts?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Keep it as is. It's just a beater to haul your planes.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Now that we have that out of the way, does anybody have a constructive comment?
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Flat black, not kidding. I love the "rat rod" look.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Try the roll on paint. It is supposed to be easy to do...I have seen the roll on paints and they turn out quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Flat black, not kidding. I love the "rat rod" look.
    I was going to do that on the Miata but chickened out. The Integra is bright red though, so that would be a complete color change... black would make it harder to see at night though
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I you want the red to match across the whole car, the get at least a whole respray. Red fades the easiest and a good color match job won't be cheap.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I was going to do that on the Miata but chickened out. The Integra is bright red though, so that would be a complete color change... black would make it harder to see at night though
    Did you see that flat red civic hatch that Grassroots Motorsports built?
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    Did you see that flat red civic hatch that Grassroots Motorsports built?

Black would be much, much better looking
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Strip/prime/prep yourself, then get Maaco to paint it?

I don't know what tools you'd need, but my brother had a friend (yeah yeah, he said she said...) that went this route and was pleased with the results.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    +1

Don't throw more money at a hauler that already meets your needs.

Michael The Schmeckel Ted the Red's Avatar

4. Buy a few rattle cans at Wal Mart and ghetto-fy it.

I would go the ghetto route.... I just did it to mine and was suprised with the results. I sanded through the clearcoat, a little primer, a few coats of krylon and she was good to go. It looks pretty good.. at least I think so.

Last edited by Ted the Red; 12-05-2007 at 05:29 PM.
    Michael
    1990 Classic Red "C" Package with Hardtop.
    1990 White project from Heck!

I am full of good ideas, just most people don't call it good ideas!

Quote Originally Posted by Tessai View Post
    Strip/prime/prep yourself, then get Maaco to paint it?

I don't know what tools you'd need, but my brother had a friend (yeah yeah, he said she said...) that went this route and was pleased with the results.
    I went the Strip it then Maaco route and was not pleased. I got their supposedly top of the line paint job and it didn't match the color I requested. When they offered to redo it, it looked even worse and further from the color I wanted. The paint was chipping within 4 months.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Go to English color and buy you a half gallon of the ppg delstar paint, a half a gallon of reducer, a can of Wet look Hardener, and get an HVLP paint sprayer and go do it at BR's house.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1

It's my daily driver, the plane hauling comes 2nd. It's no beater either, it's been well taken care off except for the paint problems (and wood screws in the dash... don't ask).
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    +1
    Seriously. You haven't seen my TDI Jetta. It's got 265K on it, the interior is falling apart, (typical vw) there are large oxidation spots on the hood and roof, a messed up quarter panel, and chipped/scratched bumpers.
    When I got the car, I had to repair the damage from it being rear ended and reattach the rear bumper.(large chain, tree in front yard, and BFH) The rear driver's quarter ripped (my fault) so I bent it back, the best that I could, and painted it with some gloss black paint the other day. I took the same can, (yes, just one can) and touched up the scratches on the bumpers,(basically repainted both bumpers) the rock chips in the front bumper, the scratched mirrors and I painted the lower front and rear valances that were very faded. All for $5 worth of rattle can.
    Go the rattle can route and do it in the sun. Make sure the can is warm and well mixed for optimal atomization of the paint. Do sections at a time so that it lays down smooth, with steady and smooth motions.

It's my daily driver, the plane hauling comes 2nd. It's no beater either, it's been well taken care off except for the paint problems (and wood screws in the dash... don't ask).
    It's still a DD. Fix it on the cheap and use a little care. You'll be happy when you've made it look better for $20 instead of $2000. Think about how much money you could put into one of your hobbies instead.

I repainted my once multi-colored subaru with 6 cans of krylon flat black. It turned out surprisingly good.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If the Integra is a beater, then the Miata is even more so.. the Teg is a 95 and in much better condition than the Miata. It's not something I want to do a half-@$$ed job on.

Anyway, I found a source for getting it painted. Thanks guys.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Wait, I thought you started a whole thread about how your brother basically trashed this car. Now you're saying it's well taken care of???

Anyway, good luck with the painting and let us know how it comes out.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Wait, I thought you started a whole thread about how your brother basically trashed this car. Now you're saying it's well taken care of???

Anyway, good luck with the painting and let us know how it comes out.
    No, he did some stupid stuff that I've since taken care of.

Besides, I was a tad upset when I wrote that thread so I probably described it a little more colorfully than it was
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Talking

I was a tad upset when I wrote that thread so I probably described it a little more colorfully than it was
    Well there's your problem!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast