Thread: Hassle at Hiley

Default Hassle at Hiley

I needed a couple of sets of spark plug wires, especially since one of them came apart changing the plugs on the red yesterday, so I called up Hiley Mazda Hurst Parts dept. to see if they had them in stock. Mindful of this older thread http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=8377
    I confirmed once again that they do, in fact, match competitor pricing.

Printed a copy of Mazda South's parts page listing the plug wire set for $34.06 http://www.mazdastuff.com/product.cfm?ProductID=239

and headed over to Hiley.

The parts guy remembered my call, and I gave him the copy, since it has the Mazda Part # on it. That's when the bellyaching began. First, he could only give me 10% off (of their $54.00 price) Then he decided he let me have them for Mazda South's price of $45.55. I pointed out that was the suggested retail price and that the internet price was $34.06. Then he started on about how that couldn't be right, they must pad shipping, that's below the cost they (Hiley) sells to other dealers, he can't match that price...ad nausem. I asked if Jason Hiley was there to back up his earlier posts about customer service on the dfwmiata forum. Naturally he was not available.

Only when I started to leave and said I'd just order them from mazdastuff today and have them tomorrow did he go ahead and match the price, as agreed on the phone before I ever headed out that way, although still complaining, "when Jason Hiley wants to know why the parts department numbers are down at the end of the month..."
    I doubt my discounted plug wire purchase today has much to do with any revenue decline at Hiley's parts department. But if everybody experiences this kind of crap when they walk through those doors, it can certainly sour the well of customer goodwill and repeat business.

Ja Man, wonder what Haile Selassie would say about the Hassle at Hiley...
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

I've given Hiley in Arlington chances to do right time and time again. If possible, I avoid them like the plague.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

I don't get it. Hiley in Arlington has always treated me well. They are not an online store, and if I go there, I expect to pay more than online. If I go there, I need it now.

When they've worked on my car, it has always been done to my satisfaction the first time.
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Quote Originally Posted by onething View Post
    I don't get it. Hiley in Arlington has always treated me well. They are not an online store, and if I go there, I expect to pay more than online. If I go there, I need it now.

When they've worked on my car, it has always been done to my satisfaction the first time.
    I have no experience with their Service Dept. However, with the Parts and Sales floor, I've always felt like they are trying to gouge me. They won't take a cc over the phone to place an order, plus they won't send a special order direct to my house, and they have the highest prices around. So for the privilege of doing business with them, I must choose to either leave work 2 hours early, or get there 2 hours late, to place the order, then do the same to pick the part up for the low low price of 115% of what the part is worth. I'll stick with Mazda South, call, give them cc info, and the part is at my house the next day, or for special parts, same delivery time as Hiley, but to my front door.

Hiley also won't negotiate on their cars. On my last purchase they only came down $300.00 , so I went South, and found another car. I've got to say though, I'm glad it happened that way as the car on Hiley's lot didn't have the LSD, but the car I got does.
    It's good to hear that you've been happy with their Service Dept, though, as my car is under warranty for several more years.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Talking

You are definatly what they are looking for in a customer.

Did you read the following on the first post on this thread, let's review.
    Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I needed a couple of sets of spark plug wires, especially since one of them came apart changing the plugs on the red yesterday, so I called up Hiley Mazda Hurst Parts dept. to see if they had them in stock. Mindful of this older thread http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=8377
    I confirmed once again that they do, in fact, match competitor pricing.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    However, with the Parts and Sales floor, I've always felt like they are trying to gouge me. So for the privilege of doing business with them, I must choose to either leave work 2 hours early, or get there 2 hours late, to place the order, then do the same to pick the part up for the low low price of 115% of what the part is worth.
    Actually, their pricing on the spark plug wireset was 120% of Mazda's suggested retail pricing.
    No wonder the parts guy acted like he was doing me a huge favor by offering 10% off.

Wonder if they employ the same marketing genius with their car sales as well? "Come on down! We'll beat any advertised price! (certain conditions mayapply, offer not valid on days ending with the letter "y".)

Reminds me of the joke about the kid with the lemonade stand with the sign that says, "ICE COLD LEMONADE, $1000 A GLASS" A guy says to the kid, "You really think anybody is going to pay $1000 for a glass of lemonade?"
    The kids grins and says, "I only need to sell one"

Actually, it's not the strategy of waiting on somebody desperate enough to pay any price to stumble in, its the fact that they claim to match competitor pricing when they don't.

Town North Parts Dept has always matched prices. Their "Track Dog" discount is close enough to the online retailers so I just ask for that and sales tax vs. shipping is about the same.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    Town North Parts Dept has always matched prices. Their "Track Dog" discount is close enough to the online retailers so I just ask for that and sales tax vs. shipping is about the same.
    Ditto.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    +1 on Town North. When I bought my front air dam, they flat-out matched the best price I could find on the internet on my word alone. No fuss, no muss. Brian's the guy I usually talk to up there.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

After their price quote for an NC, i wouldn't use them.
    But that's just my opinion.
    99 Miata Black

As a wise man once said.......

+1
    Highlight Silver & Tan 99 "With a Style Bar"
    http://www.cardomain.com/id/riverracer
    Member AARP & Meals on Wheels.....
    Everything else just "Depends"........

Maybe they like old guys with silver Miatas. Maybe they even think you're the same guy.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    Maybe they like old guys with silver Miatas. Maybe they even think you're the same guy.
    And they understand that neither of the is going to read the entire first post which explains the "Hassle at Hiley".

I'm pretty much run under the "all car dealers in DFW suck" way of thinking, that way with my lower expectations I don't get disappointed as often.

Ouch.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    And they understand that neither of the is going to read the entire first post which explains the "Hassle at Hiley".

I'm pretty much run under the "all car dealers in DFW suck" way of thinking, that way with my lower expectations I don't get disappointed as often.
    Oh I read the first post.....
    I just like to agree with Hal......

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    After their price quote for an NC, i wouldn't use them.
    But that's just my opinion.
    In my experience, the showroom sales experience generally has little bearing on the parts operation, and vice-versa. It's all who you talk to in either department. However, the Douche Concentration (Cd) on the new car sales floor is generally quite a bit higer than it is at the parts counter. Again, your results may vary...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Service rep's name is Chantel and she does like older guys. She always calls me sir
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

Service rep's name is Chantel and she does like older guys. She always calls me sir
    To your face but once you leave it's "Crazy Ass Ol' Cracka!"
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)