Thread: Koni Shock Question

Default Koni Shock Question

Finally pulled the Koni's out from under the POSIII, to send them off for evaluation. Decided to pull them since a couple of them were weeping oil out of the adjusters.

On the rears one requires very little effort to compress the other needs a quite a bit more force to compress. They will both extend back on their own.

The fronts seem to compress with about the same amount of force, but they do not extend on their own.

I'm using a set of OEM Bilstiens as the comparison set and I'll be the first to admit I'm no shock expert.

Is this normal for adjustable Konis or do these have issues?

I'm no suspension expert, but the simple fact that they don't compress and extend the same tells me it is time to send them in.

The fronts sound about right. At least one of the rears is hurting. The B-stock national champion claims his rear shocks are acting about the same way for 2 years. Maybe that is the ticket

The fronts are slow to return because they have been degassed and have a lot of rebound at that setting.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Finally pulled the Koni's out from under the POSIII, to send them off for evaluation. Decided to pull them since a couple of them were weeping oil out of the adjusters.

On the rears one requires very little effort to compress the other needs a quite a bit more force to compress. They will both extend back on their own.

The fronts seem to compress with about the same amount of force, but they do not extend on their own.

I'm using a set of OEM Bilstiens as the comparison set and I'll be the first to admit I'm no shock expert.

Is this normal for adjustable Konis or do these have issues?

I talked to Lee Grimes at Koni about some single adjustables I had for sale earlier this year

when I compressed them by hand, there wasn't much resistance, and they did not extend back out on their own either

Lee said that pushing by hand doesn't open the valve to create resistance since you can't get enough piston speed when pushing by hand

and as Kenny said, they don't extend back out since they were degassed

I took those shocks to Nationals and they dynoed them and 3 were fine

one needed to be taken apart because the dyno graph was just below what they said it should be and they found some debris blocking a valve hole but no interior damage or replacement parts needed

having said all that, I'd still have them all looked at if they are more than 3 or 4 years old with street miles on them
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)