Thread: CEL & Inspection

Default CEL & Inspection

Will I pass the inspection if I have a car with a CEL which is not related to the emission or brake systems? I have a Millenia with a transmission sesnor failure and threw a CEL. The car drives perfect and shift smoothly ecexpt the CEL and the flashing "gear hold" button. I have an insepction coming up in Jan. I know some of you have a lot of experience on inspection and can give a few cents of wisdom! Little grasshopper is listening.

Gab
    Last edited by gabkwong; 12-13-2007 at 02:52 PM. Reason: spelling
    Gabriel

Depends on the year of the car.

I've never had to get an OBD II car inspected (I assume that's your case), so I wouldn't know... but this might help (it came from HERE):

What systems are checked during the OBDII test?
    The On-Board Diagnostics (OBDII) emissions test for 1996 & newer vehicles consists of the following:

Check 1
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Symbol check
    This is considered the bulb check portion of the test. The light must come on when the ignition is turned to the ON position and the light must go OFF when the engine is started. The inspector answers these two bulb check questions as either a PASS or FAIL. If the light is not working, the vehicle will FAIL the test, because the purpose of the light is to alert the driver of the vehicle that there is a problem with the OBDII system (exceeding emissions) and the vehicle needs to be diagnosed and repaired.

Check 2
    MIL Command Status and Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTC's) check
    If the MIL command status is ON, then the vehicle's Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is commanding the MIL to turn ON, because a problem has been detected within the OBDII system and a DTC has been set.
    For example, an engine misfire DTC - PO301. If the MIL command status is ON with a DTC set, the vehicle will fail. If the OBDII system is operating properly, the MIL command status will be OFF.

Check 3
    OBDII (Non -Continuous) Readiness Monitors check
    These monitors are like self checks of each emissions component (EGR, O2 sensor, etc) within the OBDII system. These non-continuous monitors are considered Ready until either DTC's have been cleared with a scan tool or if battery power has been disconnected, then the monitors will reset back to Not Ready.

In order to get the monitors set back to Ready, the vehicle must be driven through a drive cycle, which is a combination of city/highway driving for a set period of time. This drive cycle relearns the OBDII system and rechecks all of the emissions component's individual systems. As each system completes its own self test, the monitor will set back to Ready.

If a problem still exists in any of the individual systems, a DTC will set again once the monitor changes to Ready. If a vehicle has a MIL ON with a DTC set and the owner disconnects the battery to clear the light to try to pass the test, all the non-continuous monitors reset back to Not Ready and the vehicle now fails for Not Ready.

We allow two (2) non-continuous monitors to be Not Ready and still pass the test, but three (3) or more Not Ready's will cause the vehicle to fail.

There are three (3) continuous monitors that are always Ready: Misfire, Fuel System, and Comprehensive Components. If you look at your Vehicle Inspection Report (VIR), you will see the emissions monitors listed and their Ready/Not Ready status. If any of the non-continuous monitors say N/A (Not Available) or N/S (Not Supported), then there is no monitor for that system.

This information is illustrated in a "Ready or Not" poster displayed in all of the emissions testing stations as well as the Recognized Emissions Repair Facilities (RERF's).
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Check 1
    Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) or Service Engine Soon Light, Check Engine Light, Check Engine Symbol check
    This is considered the bulb check portion of the test. The light must come on when the ignition is turned to the ON position and the light must go OFF when the engine is started.
    Thanks! I think it is obvious that it will fail the inspection since the CEFL won't go off after engine start. I think I will check all the wirings/connections before putting down more "good" money on this "money pit".

The Millenia S is nice, smooth and fast. But, it is high maintenance like some female (or some male). During the 4+ years I have replaced the battery, CAT, O2 sensors, all the engine seals and gaskets, all the belts and hoses, most of the vacuum lines, complete tear down of the top of the engine, SC, both front control arms, A/C compressor, rotors and break pads, radiator and transmission! This supposed to be an upmarket car but is so high maintenance!
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    Thanks! I think it is obvious that it will fail the inspection since the CEFL won't go off after engine start. I think I will check all the wirings/connections before putting down more "good" money on this "money pit".

The Millenia S is nice, smooth and fast. But, it is high maintenance like some female (or some male). During the 4+ years I have replaced the battery, CAT, O2 sensors, all the engine seals and gaskets, all the belts and hoses, most of the vacuum lines, complete tear down of the top of the engine, SC, both front control arms, A/C compressor, rotors and break pads, radiator and transmission! This supposed to be an upmarket car but is so high maintenance!
    Well, good luck! I always liked those cars... yours has that supercharged Miller Cycle motor, right?

God bless the money pit... I've had a few of those... and, btw, they were all "upmarket" cars...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Sounds like you've done all the major stuff, get past this hurdle and hopefully you're good to go for awhile. Good luck.

I'm sure it will fail if the light is on and the codes are not cleared. My van threw a code and I asked the inspector about it passing even though the light stopped coming on. He said to clear it first for sure because they can pick up old stored codes that were thrown.
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles