Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever come out to your car to find this?

Default Ever come out to your car to find this?

You know that feeling you get when you find out some idiot has left you a nice parking lot dent? And of course they're long gone, leaving you to wish there were some way to track them down. As you can see by the pic, someone was nice enough to do some major damage to my daughter's mustang in the school parking lot the other day. The rubber bumper crease was high, which meant it was a truck or some bigger vehicle that did it.

She was pretty upset about it and based on previous experience with the City of Hurst PD, I didn't expect much other than to file a report.

It turns out the school has parking lot surveillance cameras, and the officer that is on campus spent yesterday morning poring over the images. Nothing out of the ordinary until just when they were about to give up, they spotted a Ford Expedition trying to turn around, backing up, forward, back, trying to do a 180 degree turn in a one way lane. But then, the camera moved to another frame so they didn't actually see if it hit her car or not.

So, the officer and parking lot guy went out and found a big red Expedition that matched the one on the video and sure enough, embedded in the rubber trim on the bumper are flecks of silver paint. Stupid student gets called into the office, gets nailed with a hit and run ticket, class B misdemeanor. She's bawling cause her daddy ain't gonna be happy. I waited all day to see if they might contact me, never heard from them so I went ahead and filed against their insurance.

A happy ending to this story! And I now have a newfound appreciation for Officer Pace and the Hurst PD.
    Last edited by cam76034; 04-07-2008 at 08:36 AM.

Question

Does Beshears now give you a quantity discount with all the work he has done for you this year??

We just can't get you nice things.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Does Beshears now give you a quantity discount with all the work he has done for you this year??

We just can't get you nice things.
    I'm putting his kids through college.

Nice, glad you found the girl that did it.

Glad to hear that you were able to track down the culprit! I'm also happy to hear that Hurst filed a hit & run against her.

I'm not suprised that neither the guilty party nor her parents ever contacted you to take responsibility for their actions. F***ing people have no sense of personal responsibility these days.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Amen to that. My kid does something like that and her car would be on craigslist the same day and she'd be walking the rest of her high school career. Then again, look at what's offered up for role models these days.

Update: A guy who knows this girl told my daughter he asked her, "why didn't you stop and leave a note or tell somebody or something?"
    Her response: "I didn't think anybody saw me"
    Last edited by cam76034; 12-20-2007 at 11:46 AM.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Nice, glad you found the girl that did it.
    Had it been Merv's car that had been hit, he'd be asking other things of the young lady...

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Amen to that. My kid does something like that and her car would be on craigslist the same day and she'd be walking the rest of her high school career. Then again, look at what's offered up for role models these days.

Update: A guy who knows this girl told my daughter he asked her, "why didn't you stop and leave a note or tell somebody or something?"
    With an attitude like that they should have nailed her with every ticket they could.
    Freakin people!!
    99 Miata Black

Wow thats a dent.

Who gives their child an Expedition to drive?

Makes me paranoid thinking I am sharing the road with 16 year olds in SUV's that have bumpers level with my head in a Miata... all while texting their BFF about their day.

cam76034, starting to read your post, I thought you were talking about a little door ding or something. Then I looked at your picture.

I'm very glad that circumstances allowed you to catch the culprit.

... My kid does something like that and her car would be on craigslist the same day and she'd be walking the rest of her high school career...
    We all make mistakes. It's whether or not you own up to them that counts. If my kid hit a car and told me about it, I would be annoyed, but we'd work it out and it would be done. If my kid hit a car and didn't tell me about it? Yep, I just might do what you say you'd do. Of course, my oldest is only 9 .

I can even forgive her for driving off without leaving a note. Look... this girl was 16? 17? She's young and was [probably] scared. She panicked and wasn't thinking clearly. But once she got home, she needed to tell someone.

That's the real issue here. Like altiain said, people just don't take responsibility for anything anymore. Very sad...
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    cam76034, starting to read your post, I thought you were talking about a little door ding or something. Then I looked at your picture.

I'm very glad that circumstances allowed you to catch the culprit.

We all make mistakes. It's whether or not you own up to them that counts. If my kid hit a car and told me about it, I would be annoyed, but we'd work it out and it would be done. If my kid hit a car and didn't tell me about it? Yep, I just might do what you say you'd do. Of course, my oldest is only 9 .

I can even forgive her for driving off without leaving a note. Look... this girl was 16? 17? She's young and was [probably] scared. She panicked and wasn't thinking clearly. But once she got home, she needed to tell someone.
    This girl is 3 months shy of 18.

And my kid has already had her own similar episode, whereby she hit a mailbox while swerving to avoid a fluffy kitten in the road (or maybe text messaging if I were to speculate) but she told me about it as soon as it happened and she paid for a new mailbox to replace the one she nailed. She also paid for the damage to her car, about $1500. Yes I was annoyed.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

That's the real issue here. Like altiain said, people just don't take responsibility for anything anymore. Very sad...
    I agree with lad, but most of these kids have cell phones why not call mom or dad and get some guidance. Did she just think no one would notice (that's my guess)?

The other problem is this happened at L.D. Bell high school. This school has been pumping out slack jawed irresponsible mouth-breathers since the class of 1987.

I however graduated L.D. Bell in 1986.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I however graduated L.D. Bell in 1986.
    Man, you're old!

BTW, I'm sure they started in '86, I've seen the evidence.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Really awesome! Sorry you had to go through the ordeal, but man, it's good to hear of someone actually getting caught and held responsible!

Man, That sucks.

Someone did that to my Mom's Miata back 10 years ago in a Luby's parking lot. The lady was in a Cadilac and 'thought she didn't hit it.' A Good Samaritan stopped her...
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 12-20-2007 at 07:01 PM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

1. Glad you had some diligent help and were able to track her down.
    2. Who gives a high school kid an Expedition to drive? I guess they want Johnnie or Susie to 'be safe'.
    3. This is what I refer to as "no driving mf"............I can't get more than a few blocks from the house and I am muttering to myself.....no driving mf. It doesn't matter if its Susie trying to turn an Expedition around or a scoccer mom trying to park the Suburban in the Tom Thumb lot, people cannot judge to save there life.

first time something like that happened with a kid of mine texting I would teach them how a quarter drops down the slot of a payphone.
    and introduce them to Ben and Pat, (Bend yo knee's and Pat yo feet) right on down the street cause they wouldn't be driving.
    99 Miata Black

This girl is 3 months shy of 18.

And my kid has already had her own similar episode, whereby she hit a mailbox while swerving to avoid a fluffy kitten in the road (or maybe text messaging if I were to speculate) but she told me about it as soon as it happened and she paid for a new mailbox to replace the one she nailed. She also paid for the damage to her car, about $1500. Yes I was annoyed.
    Yeah, her age doesn't fully excuse her for leaving the scene of the crime, but when people are scared -- as I suspect she was ("Mummie and Daddy are gonna kill me if I tell them!") -- they don't think clearly. My only point is I could forgive her for her immediate "flight reaction", but like your daughter did, she needed to come forward after she calmed down and came to her senses.

Oh, wait... that's assuming she had any senses, and from her other comment ("I didn't think anybody saw me"), that assumption may be a stretch.
    "That which does not kill us, just makes us madder"
    Cletus Nietzsche (Friedrich's half-brother on his sister's side)

Wow, hope it goes well with their insurance!
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...

My jetta was hit 9 times in 10 years when parked. I've had the miata hit 3 times and "faggot" spraypainted on it in 2.5 years. This shit gets old.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast