Thread: Need some home theater advice...

Default Need some home theater advice...

OK, it's time to add some sound to the big screen TV. Been shopping for a home-theater-in-a-box setup, and I'm seeing two different approaches. Some HTIB sets (Option A) come with 5 speakers and a combo receiver/DVD unit. Other HTIB sets (Option B) come with 5 speakers and a receiver only. Price-wise, this second set-up tends to be a bit more expensive, and the receiver and the speakers appear to be of better quality.
    I already have DVD player, so Option B seems to be the better choice. Anyone know of any disadvantages of going with this type of set-up?

FWIW, I trying to stay on a budget (Under $400), and I'm leaning towards Onkyo and Samsung based on what I've read and heard.

I'm sure lots of you have gone through this recently. What advice can you share? Thanks!
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Some on the Onkyo HTIB's have got good reviews. Lots of info here if you haven't already found it.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/

I have an Onkyo HTIB. It is last years model, I think they added a few features for this years model. I love it. For my size room, and for my audio tastes it is great. I might change speakers in the future, but the receiver is a great building block for a home theater. Watch the Frys add, I saw the model I bought for 300 many times.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    I have an Onkyo HTIB. It is last years model, I think they added a few features for this years model. I love it. For my size room, and for my audio tastes it is great. I might change speakers in the future, but the receiver is a great building block for a home theater. Watch the Frys add, I saw the model I bought for 300 many times.
    Did your HTIB include a DVD player, do did you hook up a pre-exisiting one?
    Speed

––––––––––––––––?? ?––––––––––––––––? ??––––
    Don't look...there's nothing down here for you!

It did not. And I didnt want one. I got a nice upscalling DVD player that made the DVDs look really good. I doubt the receiver would upscale very well. And now I have an HD-DVD player that upscales normal DVDs also, so I knew I wouldnt use a DVD player built into the receiver. It just added cost, and a part I didnt want.

+1 for Onkyo
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

Just don't buy Bose. At half the price, Bose still sucks.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...