Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Standard Presumptive Value and Auto Sales Tax

Default Standard Presumptive Value and Auto Sales Tax

When registering the new 1999 Miata I was expecting to pay $281 in tax, 6.25% of $4,500.

When I was in the tax office the lady went through this dry explanation of Standard Presumptive Value (a new law) and how it was going to affect me.

Then she handed me a sheet showing that my Miata's 80% of Standard Presumptive Value was $6,600, meaning my tax liability is now $412.

So the real value of my car is $8,250???

I didnt even bother arguing because the lady was a drone.

I understand the value in the law but show me one person that will pay me $8,250 for my car?!?!?!?! That is plum crazy and out of line valuation.

It does not even consider condition or past incidents.

Here is a site to look up you cars SPV: Texas SPV

Anyway I was reading about how a dealership can do an appraisal for you to take back to them for a refund.

Anyone do this since this crazy law was passed?

I am on the fence if it is worth it... especially if I have to pay for the appraisal.

Sucks, doesn't it? Like you said, it makes no difference what condition the car is in...it can be a beater with a shot engine and the state will still assign an artificially high value to it with what has to be the biggest stealth tax increase ever to hit Texans. Dealers are exempt, however.

Never took the appraisal route though, it's just not worth it. The State knows this, which is why nobody will spend $150 to save $131 in sales tax.

Wasn't the law enacted to put the kibosh on folks who claimed they paid $100 a beater vehicle in order to circumvent the sales tax? Damn shame it's gonna put a lot of people in awkward situations.

Usually they just go by the Kelly Book value for used third party with the mileage amount.

Most of the time you can take your purchase offers from a dealer like Carmax and they'll accept that as an appraisal. (Sometimes you can get the guy to put down a rather low purchase offer)
    Black 2002 Honda S2000
    Black 1992 Euro spec BMW 735iL
    Black 2003 Honda CBR 600 RR

Quote Originally Posted by TheChadVIII View Post
    Usually they just go by the Kelly Book value for used third party with the mileage amount.

Most of the time you can take your purchase offers from a dealer like Carmax and they'll accept that as an appraisal. (Sometimes you can get the guy to put down a rather low purchase offer)
    I thought the appraisal had to be "official"...

Oh yeah, here it is.

"There are two ways to get a certified appraisal: from a motor vehicle dealer licensed for that category of vehicle or from a licensed insurance adjuster. For example, a purchaser can request a car dealer to appraise a car, a motorcycle dealer to appraise a motorcycle or a trailer dealer to appraise a trailer.
    Dealer fees for appraisals are set by law and Comptroller rule. For most vehicles, a dealer can charge from $100 to no more than $300 for a certified appraisal. A dealer’s certified appraisal of a motorcycle can cost from $40 to $300, and a dealer appraisal of a house trailer, travel trailer or a motor home can cost from $100 to $500.
    The law allows licensed insurance adjusters to determine the fees they charge.
    Purchasers should realize that an appraisal fee may offset any tax savings. "
    Last edited by cam76034; 02-01-2008 at 08:52 AM.

I would take it to CarMax and have them appraise the vehicle. I did this recently with my wife's CR-V to fight what I thought was an unfair diminished value offer after an accident. The insurance company ended up accepting the valuation that CarMax reached, and CarMax does not charge anything to offer an “appraisal” (what they actually do is give you a written offer to buy your vehicle at a certain price, which I would argue is a pretty good indicator of fair market value and therefore, by extension, an appraisal of value).

Alternatively, do you have a signed bill of sale from the seller? If not, you might contact them for one. You should be able to present that and have the valuation dropped.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Just for kicks, I ran my VIN # and mileage through the calculator on the State’s website, and it came back with $14,225 as a private party value, which is on the pessimistic side of what my car is worth, but not unrealistic (unfortunately ). I’m surprised the Miata’s valuation is so far off the mark.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I thought the appraisal had to be "official"...

Oh yeah, here it is.

"There are two ways to get a certified appraisal: from a motor vehicle dealer licensed for that category of vehicle or from a licensed insurance adjuster. For example, a purchaser can request a car dealer to appraise a car, a motorcycle dealer to appraise a motorcycle or a trailer dealer to appraise a trailer.
    Dealer fees for appraisals are set by law and Comptroller rule. For most vehicles, a dealer can charge from $100 to no more than $300 for a certified appraisal. A dealer’s certified appraisal of a motorcycle can cost from $40 to $300, and a dealer appraisal of a house trailer, travel trailer or a motor home can cost from $100 to $500.
    The law allows licensed insurance adjusters to determine the fees they charge.
    Purchasers should realize that an appraisal fee may offset any tax savings. "
    What a load of crap! You should only pay sales tax on what you spent, not what some dumb ass Politician thinks your car is worth. BTW, a CarMax or other dealer quote should be enough for them. Politicians have their head so far up their butts they are totally lost.
    '08 Copper Red GT PRHT, '06 Accord EXL, '05 Dodge Magnum R/T, '01 V8 Dakota for pulling 2135 Chaparral.

Yeah the thing it has to have is the dealer number... which a Carmax report does not.

I will try it for kicks.

KBB hits my car at Private Party Fair $6,630

Looks like I will be getting full coverage now after seeing these values.

Also worth noting fair book for trade is $5,100 .

I know Black Book will be a bit lower.

I am guessing a dealer will probably hit it at $3,750 - $4,500.

Maybe I will take it to Metro VW who LOVES to lowball trades. I bought a car from them 2 years ago and my mom bought one last year there.

I remember them hitting my 2001 S2000 w/ 52K miles for $13,200... this was in 2005. I of course passed.

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post

Alternatively, do you have a signed bill of sale from the seller? If not, you might contact them for one. You should be able to present that and have the valuation dropped.
    DMV will not accept it.

Interesting... I entered the VIN number of my horse trailer and it couldn't give me a value...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Quote Originally Posted by TurboDuane View Post
    What a load of crap! You should only pay sales tax on what you spent, not what some dumb ass Politician thinks your car is worth. BTW, a CarMax or other dealer quote should be enough for them. Politicians have their head so far up their butts they are totally lost.
    I agree, you should only pay tax value on what you spent. Unfortunately, all of the dishonest people who claimed to have bought that used Z06 for $1500 screwed things up for everyone.
    Iain

We should be able to get the certficate of origin and not pay taxes at all in my opinion, gas taxes are "supposed" to pay for our roads.

yet another reason why the middle class is being destroyed.

it will never be enough, people should unite and say were not taking this shite anymore.....but that will never happen.

i guess this is how they are going to pay for "Real ID"

it appears that you can still "Gift" a car and that will make the tax exempt.
    99 Miata Black

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    it appears that you can still "Gift" a car and that will make the tax exempt.
    What can I say, he was a really nice guy. He threw me the keys and said Merry Christmas. I was so touched, I gave him a really nice New Years present.... I didn't have time to shop for anything, so I gave him 10 grand.

You guys have hit on one of my pet peeves as I have been buying and selling cars and motorcycles for the past 12 years........I think the state should change tax one time, when the vehicle is sold new. As far as used cars go charge us transfer and registration fees only. How can it be justified that tax is paid every time a car is sold during its life? I bought a damaged car at a city impound lot that was one month old. The original puchaser paid sales tax on $14k, I paid sales tax on $5k and the lady that bought it from me paid tax on $10K, all in the span of 5 months! What a steaming shovel full...........

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    What can I say, he was a really nice guy. He threw me the keys and said Merry Christmas. I was so touched, I gave him a really nice New Years present.... I didn't have time to shop for anything, so I gave him 10 grand.

And with Valentine's Day so close...

I responded to this in another thread but thought I'd chime in here too.

I knew a guy that had a tote the note business on the side. He would buy a junker, get it to the point it was running and lease-to-own it to a poor shmuck. In the State of Texas you can only sell so many vehicles without a dealers license and to get a dealers license you need a minimum sized car lot.

He didn't have a car lot and thus didn't have a dealers license. To get around this when he bought a car, he never transfered the title to himself. When the person paid off the note, he just handed them the title signed by the previous owner. Shady, sure but he was a vehicular slum lord.

Sounds like the 20 day transfer limit tries to keep this from happening.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

And in a dashing display of "Cut and Paste", BR retains his throne of reposts by reposting his own stuff. Just kidding BR

But I do agree with VFR750, if it's a private party sale and not from a stealership nor a dealer, I think they should nix the tax. Money grubbing bas7@&65!!!
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by VFR750 View Post
    You guys have hit on one of my pet peeves as I have been buying and selling cars and motorcycles for the past 12 years........I think the state should change tax one time, when the vehicle is sold new. As far as used cars go charge us transfer and registration fees only. How can it be justified that tax is paid every time a car is sold during its life? I bought a damaged car at a city impound lot that was one month old. The original puchaser paid sales tax on $14k, I paid sales tax on $5k and the lady that bought it from me paid tax on $10K, all in the span of 5 months! What a steaming shovel full...........
    I couldn't agree with you more. I picked up my Miata about month after they changed the law, but I was still able to plead ignorance and stupidity and procrastination and only pay tax on what I paid for the car - IIRC, the SPV was about $1500 more than that.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

I entered the VIN for my RMB and it didn't pull anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Interesting... I entered the VIN number of my horse trailer and it couldn't give me a value...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast