Thread: Belly Pan/Splash Guard? What the heck?

Default Belly Pan/Splash Guard? What the heck?

As many know, I have been fighting a cooling issue with the FMII. Several people have been asking me if I have the splash guard or belly pan on the car. I am clueless. Is there some plastic piece that goes from the nose to the Radiator?

Any pics would be appreciated.
    93 FMII + LOTS MORE
    The Black Mamba

Yes.... and I'm missing mine as well. However, it has shown no ill affects from missing it. My overheating issues were related to mistreatment by PO's and hose breakdown.

You can see it on this car. It goes from the radiator support to the cross member.

I have always run with it in the car, and when I helped Evil with his spec Miata it was one of the parts that went back on the car.

Looks like it would help direct the air out of the engine compartment, which I have to imagine is important with a turbo car!

It helps. So does the flimsy plastic piece that goes on top. They're both required for stock class autox or spec miata.

A guy not long ago on M.Net displayed some testing results with and without the belly pan. Without the pan in place air was actually moving from the back-side of the radiator to the front (though very slowly) when the car was moving at speed! With the pan in place a good strong flow of air was evident travelling through the radiator from the front to back (like it's suppose to). I ran without the belly pan for a long time and never saw any problems, of course the water temp guage on the Miata isn't going to tell you anything untill you are close to melt-down temps anyway. I would definately think that the pan is required equipment on any boosted Miata because of the extra heat generated. YMMV
    What's left of a '96 Miata with stock clutch.
    My car exceeds my driving ability. That's the only possible explanation.