Thread: I need front and rear bumpers, hood, trunk lid, and turn signal

Default I need front and rear bumpers, hood, trunk lid, and turn signal

Removing old info.
    Last edited by Mr.E.G.; 05-13-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Go see john at Mazda heaven.
    He is just down 287 in Mansfield.
    287 business just south of 20, turn right at Apache trucks and follow that street.
    He is the only one that will have all that you need.

(ps he does not have the rear filler panel)

i called john and he had a couple of the parts i need but i think he is asking way too much. a fair price is a matter of perception and means different things to different people but when he told me his prices i felt like the guy behind the counter at mcdonalds had just told me that my number 4 with fries is going to run me $37.50. I had kind of a "i'm sorry, can you repeat that?" kind of reaction.

thanks for the suggestion though.

There are a lot of spec Miatas out there that tend to go through a lot of body parts. This drives the price of used parts up closer to new part cost then you find on other cars.

05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Yeah, John is kinda high sometimes.
    I figure, sometimes its better to pay John than spend a day or so, plus gas, hunting and still possibly not finding your part.

also:
    Maz-mart
    Parts Group
    Planet Miata
    Maz-max
    They're also not cheap and then pay shipping.
    I found the "illusive" wiring harness I have been looking for at maz-mart.
    They only want $900.00 for a used one. :faint:
    Guess what I told them?

so basically what you guys are telling me is that i need to put my composite skills to work and sell some low cost replacement body panels. i figure i can produce a fiber glass hood and bumper that will cost less than what most of these gays are asking for their used replacement parts. i'm not being sarcastic either.

I'm not sure what prices you are seeing, but I would think you would have a hard time getting the price down low enough and still make it worth your while.

For reference on parts prices, I sold a front bumper cover on Craigslist in 1 day for $100. My front fenders sold nearly as fast and I got $175 for the pair. I'm sure I could have gotten more if I was willing to sit on them for a while, but once I pull a part off of my parts car, I want it gone.

here are some of the prices i have gotten. mazda heaven told me 350 for a hood which is re-godddamn-diculous if you ask me. i can get a new hood from some website (can't recall, i book marked it on my work computer) for 319 with free shipping. the only way 350 for a used hood makes sense is if the hood happens to match the color of your car and if that paint is in good shape. neither was the case.

i went to a junk yard in haltom city and the proprietor wanted 350 for a hood. i went and looked at it and it was hail damaged AND it was slightly bent in the corner in the headlight cut out not to mention the paint was shot. in spite of the condition it was a hood and im not afraid of body work so i asked the guy if he would work with me on the price. in a nutshell he told me that the absolute lowest he would go would be 175 dollars. i told him that was way too much. bare in mind i was completely respectful and in spite of the fact that i was pissed on the inside i can comprehend the notion of him being able to ask any price he wants so i didnt try to treat him disrespectfully. i emphasize that as a disclaimer so that you can read the next section and understand that i wasnt being a smart ass, rather i was making conversation. so, i asked him who he envisioned selling a hood in that condition to. who would pay 175 dollars for a damaged body panel? he basically told me that he was giving it away to me at that price and that if i dont buy it someone else will. i bid him good luck and i left.

i ended the day by haphazardly stumbling upon a junkyard that sold me the hood at a reasonable junk yard price. maybe even less than that. 65 bucks. i think that 100 would be reasonable and i think 65 was just lucky, but 100 is what a junkyard hood should cost. however, 300 or more seems the norm. that's bullshit plain and simple. price gouging at it's best.

regarding the fiberglass it takes me a million years to make a perfect mold. it's very time consuming and it takes a few tries to get one that i'm happy with but once i get the mold right i can make parts off it with very little time or effort. i think i could reasonably make fiberglass miata hood that i could sell for 250 bucks. maybe less, and still make a reasonable profit. i may consider it. the thought has crossed my mind before but i was only looking at it as a weight saving measure and frankly i doubt i can build a fiberglass hood much lighter than the stock miata hood. but strictly from a cost point of view i can see why there would be a demand.

as far as the other panels, no real luck yet. i've found a few here and there but i think i can do better on price.

The OEM Miata hood is made of aluminum. The new one you found for 319 is likely a non-OEM steel hood. I'm not defending the prices you saw for the OEM ones, just pointing out that the OEM hood is a little more special that your typical hood. $65 is an incredible price.

ahhh. i knew the oem hood is alum but i didnt even consider the possibility that the replacement hood would be steel. that would have been a disappointment.

[email protected]

that is Bob Stretch. He has about 7 cars worth of Miata stuff. See if he has what you need.
    Wealth, power, and experience are apparently not enough to save us from social influences. Groupthink, as described by I.L.Janis, is the tendency for group members to reach a consensus opinion, even if that decision is downright stupid (Janis 1982).

Default Trunk lid

I have a 92 red trunk lid with hail damage if your still after parts.
    I'm in The Colony and the price will be low.
    Pm me if interested.
    Jack "Rude Dog" Hays
    I'll See You On The Dark Side Of The Moon

I won't be up till the march 16th event, but I got a laguna blue rear bumper you can have if you still need it then

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.E.G. View Post
    I will be repairing my NA's collision damage so I need a front bumper cover, hood, passenger side front turn signal, a rear bumper, a rear fascia (the part between teh rear bumper and trunk), and a rear trunk lid.

the parts dont need to be in perfect condition. nothing that a little body work wont fix.

COLOR DOES NOT MATTER!!!! i will paint them to match my car. (sort of)

i need these parts this weekend if at all possible.

I'm in arlington and i will drive anywhere in the metroplex to pick the parts up. i left my laptop charger at work so i will be offline in a few minutes. feel free to call me tonight anytime.

thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by sammm; 08-16-2013 at 09:42 AM.
    David Hedderick
    Houston, TX
    92 Miata SE; 08 Mazda 3s; 12 Mazdaspeed 3

here are some of the prices i have gotten. mazda heaven told me 350 for a hood which is re-godddamn-diculous if you ask me. i can get a new hood from some website (can't recall, i book marked it on my work computer) for 319 with free shipping. the only way 350 for a used hood makes sense is if the hood happens to match the color of your car and if that paint is in good shape. neither was the case.

i went to a junk yard in haltom city and the proprietor wanted 350 for a hood. i went and looked at it and it was hail damaged AND it was slightly bent in the corner in the headlight cut out not to mention the paint was shot. in spite of the condition it was a hood and im not afraid of body work so i asked the guy if he would work with me on the price. in a nutshell he told me that the absolute lowest he would go would be 175 dollars. i told him that was way too much. bare in mind i was completely respectful and in spite of the fact that i was pissed on the inside i can comprehend the notion of him being able to ask any price he wants so i didnt try to treat him disrespectfully. i emphasize that as a disclaimer so that you can read the next section and understand that i wasnt being a smart ass, rather i was making conversation. so, i asked him who he envisioned selling a hood in that condition to. who would pay 175 dollars for a damaged body panel? he basically told me that he was giving it away to me at that price and that if i dont buy it someone else will. i bid him good luck and i left.

i ended the day by haphazardly stumbling upon a junkyard that sold me the hood at a reasonable junk yard price. maybe even less than that. 65 bucks. i think that 100 would be reasonable and i think 65 was just lucky, but 100 is what a junkyard hood should cost. however, 300 or more seems the norm. that's bullshit plain and simple. price gouging at it's best.

regarding the fiberglass it takes me a million years to make a perfect mold. it's very time consuming and it takes a few tries to get one that i'm happy with but once i get the mold right i can make parts off it with very little time or effort. i think i could reasonably make fiberglass miata hood that i could sell for 250 bucks. maybe less, and still make a reasonable profit. i may consider it. the thought has crossed my mind before but i was only looking at it as a weight saving measure and frankly i doubt i can build a fiberglass hood much lighter than the stock miata hood. but strictly from a cost point of view i can see why there would be a demand.

as far as the other panels, no real luck yet. i've found a few here and there but i think i can do better on price.
    I have bought several NA hoods at Mazda Heaven. Always around $200. Last one was 2 weeks ago. I can get a new one from mazda for around 300 or so.

Fenders are around $90, new around $140 (cheaper from non OEM). Excellent front bumper caps are $250.

Price is established usually through supply and demand. I certainly would not sell less than people are willing to pay.

John must not like you.

ahhh. i knew the oem hood is alum but i didnt even consider the possibility that the replacement hood would be steel. that would have been a disappointment.
    I've run into that exact same situation. We were fixing up a wrecked eBay Caddy and tried to fix the OEM aluminum hood - to no avail. Finally broke down and got the Chinese replacement, which was steel - it's typical, I think.

You get what you pay for.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by rfc View Post
    I have bought several NA hoods at Mazda Heaven. Always around $200. Last one was 2 weeks ago. I can get a new one from mazda for around 300 or so.

Fenders are around $90, new around $140 (cheaper from non OEM). Excellent front bumper caps are $250.

Price is established usually through supply and demand. I certainly would not sell less than people are willing to pay.

John must not like you.
    i've never met the guy or spoken to him. i called and he quoted me a price quite a bit higher than what you seem to have got. all the while i thought my money was just as green as yours.

i've never met the guy or spoken to him. i called and he quoted me a price quite a bit higher than what you seem to have got. all the while i thought my money was just as green as yours.
    Maybe you sounded like you had more of it to spare.

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    Maybe you sounded like you had more of it to spare.

Don't give him your name... call back in a week and see if he has the part and what the price is.

It seems that prices are off the cuff and what he wants for it at the moment. It can vary GREATLY.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I have a red '94 with a good rear end half that I am stripping that may have some parts there for you.

Gary
    Danger!!! This Dog Bites.
    www.trackdogracing.com