Thread: New Integra wheels...

Default New Integra wheels...

In my long-running attempt to turn my 95 Integra into a reasonably presentable car, I give you my latest addition..

Wheels. And tires.

See, I tried to get an inspection recently but didn't realize that while the outer edges of the tires had plenty of tread, the inner area was flat. I'm talking Kiera Knightly flat here.

Yes, I wasn't paying attention. So, since I needed tires anyway, I decided to update the wheels, also.. it had the stock steelies which were ugly and heavy, with hubcaps that looked like this:

I asked around and finally located a pretty set of wheels from IcePenguin66, who formerly had them on his track Miata. I headed over and purchased them after stopping by Track Dog's shop (nice place BTW!) to pick up a set of Kumho Ecsta tires.

From there (a few days later) it was over to NTB to get the tires mounted, then to Autozone to pick up wire brushes, brake cleaner, painters tape, and caliper paint... and that afternoon I ended up with this:

I don't have a good digital camera right now, so I'm using a Pocket PC 1.3 megapixel POS

I think they look quite nice! I can drive in rain without sliding off the road (accidentally) now, too

Thanks to IcePenguin and Gary Shuhart

Looks like it's time for suspension work now, too. I have a 3" gap between tire and fender
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Looks nice! Now you need to get POS Racing to knock the fuzzies off the paint for you...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Now you need to get POS Racing to knock the fuzzies off the paint for you...
    Yep. I doubt he's at work, so give him a call.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Yep. I doubt he's at work, so give him a call.
    When is standing by the fax machine called work?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    When is standing by the fax machine called work?
    More like hanging out at MME.

Attached Images Attached Images

You need to slam that biootch! Looks good though.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Nice wheels Joel, now all you need is a little claybar and some wax and she'll be looking good as new.
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post
    You need to slam that biootch! Looks good though.
    I know, it's got the 4X4 thing going now

I'm thinking about a 1.5" drop max... don't want to go too low. Need a reasonable soft ride, too, since it's my daily driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexus Flux View Post
    Nice wheels Joel, now all you need is a little claybar and some wax and she'll be looking good as new.
    I don't know about that. The paint is getting pretty faded on the hood, fenders, and part of the roof. It may need an entire repaint but I don't want to blow too much money on it. Trying to fix it up on the cheap
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Quote Originally Posted by MadMonkey View Post
    I don't know about that. The paint is getting pretty faded on the hood, fenders, and part of the roof. It may need an entire repaint but I don't want to blow too much money on it. Trying to fix it up on the cheap
    I dunno... I've had lots of Jap-o-nese cars respond nicely to a good buff 'n' wax. You might just try a good ol' compound 'n' clay bar job.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

I dunno... I've had lots of Jap-o-nese cars respond nicely to a good buff 'n' wax. You might just try a good ol' compound 'n' clay bar job.
    Really? I thought it was too far gone... I don't know much about paint and body work. Anybody care to help? For free pizza?

Side note: I had a wreck on the way home from the RC field today. A truck slammed on his brakes in front of me at a pedestrian crossing and I nearly locked up trying to stop... I made it with room to spare. Then a good 2 seconds later I hear squealing tires behind me and feel a sharp thud as an idiot woman who wasn't paying attention ran into my rear bumper

I was on the phone at the time and I said "Hey... I just got hit". He replied "So, I need to let you go?" I said "Nah, don't worry about it" and kept talking. Never even stopped.

She turned off quickly and took off, LOL. I knew it wasn't any damage to my car because I backed into a Mustang at the same speed in Waco (bad rear window tint) and I didn't hurt either car. I have a 3" smudge from this one.

Morons.

No, I'm not concerned about getting her into trouble or making a big deal about it. I do hope it gave her a good scratch so she'll pay better attention next time, and I hope she's on her knees thanking God that I wasn't one of the a-holes that would have freaked out about it.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Side note: I had a wreck on the way home from the RC field today.
    Whoooops...!

Time for something meatier...

But seriously, try a little compound on a fuzzy spot and see how it does.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

Whoooops...!

Time for something meatier...

But seriously, try a little compound on a fuzzy spot and see how it does.
    I'll intentionally choke on a Bratwurst before I use Bondo

What kind of compound should I use and how should I apply it? I'm telling you, I'm a total n00b when it comes to that stuff. I'm good with prepping/painting small stuff like the calipers, lips, wheels, etc... but when it comes to polishing and junk I have no idea what I'm doing.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

I'll intentionally choke on a Bratwurst...
    Oh my god... sooooooo many jokes... must... resist... AAARRRRRGHHH!!!!

What kind of compound should I use and how should I apply it? I'm telling you, I'm a total n00b when it comes to that stuff. I'm good with prepping/painting small stuff like the calipers, lips, wheels, etc... but when it comes to polishing and junk I have no idea what I'm doing.
    On a couple of my old RX-7s, I've used Turtle Wax WHITE compound (it's finer than the RED, so it won't leave a buncha scratches). Just do a spot by hand and see what happens. Red tends to get real fuzzy, but also responds to a good buff. If your paint responds, then just keep going - I did two (2) RX-7s by hand with the ol' white compound and got great results. Just be sure you use a compact swirl action with both your "wax-on" and "wax-off" strokes.

Seriously, go buy some compound and watch "Karate Kid" - you'll be on top of it before Daniel gets his leg swept at the All Valley Tourney.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days

As long as the primer isn't showing, the paint should be able to be buffed.
    ...and across the line.

Thanks guys... I guess it's off to Autozone I go, then. I'm thinking about picking up a clay bar to go over the Miata, too, so I might as well hit the Integra with it also. I've always wanted to try one anyway, and since I'm jobless now I have plenty of time on my hands (and a better outlook!). I think I'll go ahead and swap out the Miata carpet, too

And put a new horn on the Teg...
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Tricky, I could kiss you right now

I bought some of the Turtle Wax stuff and tested an area on the roof and a place on the hood.

Wow.

The roof area had some small cracks that weren't visible until I polished it, but it got rid of the faded look. As for the hood... the area I did looks BRAND NEW. I just washed the whole front end and as soon as I dries I'm going to get back to it. I think I'll paint the front lip while I work on the buffing, too.

THANK YOU.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Careful. The 'teg may lose it's "beater" status.
    ...and across the line.

Cool! Looks good! Glad they worked out for ya.
    90 MX5 281k miles! - euro spec, Porsche Riviera Blue w/black hardtop, 97 motor swap, vintage Borbet rims, GC, FM shock hats/frame rails/rear sub-brace, AGX, sway bar, stb, Fidanza/ACT combo, EBC Yellows

92 COMMA SM - new paint coming soon...