Thread: Anyone use Falken Wheels before?

Default Anyone use Falken Wheels before?

I saw some rims at edge racing and was wondering if anyone had any opinions
    (good or bad) about them. Here's a link:

http://www.edgeracing.com/wheels/falken_wheel/

It's the Explicit model by Falken that I was interested in. Undecided on the finish.

Thanks
    Last edited by Nails; 03-04-2008 at 02:44 PM. Reason: PS 17x7.5 size

You are joking, right?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    You are joking, right?
    They would look sweet on jrj512's new pickup!

No, I'm serious. They're an inch bigger and an inch wider and two pounds heavier than my stock wheels and less than half the cost of Enkeis. I was asking for opinions on them because I haven't heard much of them in the miata forums and thought maybe something was wrong with them. Maybe they leak air or are weak and ding easily or something.

I know the Falken tires are popular I just wondered about the rims.

I think what these guys might be hinting at is they may be a little to "bling" looking for the miata crowd.
    "Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague longing for something salty" - Peter Egan

I think people may be missing that he is talking about the "Explicit" model, not the first one you see in the link. They look OK to me.

They're all pretty ugly to me.

Besides, didn't we have a long discussion about unsprung weight? The OEM wheels are heavy enough. You'd be better off going lighter if you upgrade.

There are plenty of reasonably priced light wheels out there. There are also some outrageously priced light and heavy wheels so don't let price be your guide. Check out Goodwin Racing for good light weight wheels.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

Besides, didn't we have a long discussion about unsprung weight? The OEM wheels are heavy enough. You'd be better off going lighter if you upgrade.

There are plenty of reasonably priced light wheels out there. There are also some outrageously priced light and heavy wheels so don't let price be your guide. Check out Goodwin Racing for good light weight wheels.
    I don't believe there are as many reasonably priced light wheels that fit over the NC brakes as are available for the NA/NB. The only cheap NC wheel that Goodwin has is the Konig Runaway at $129/each for the 16.6 lb 17x7, and $134/each for the 17.2 lb 17x8. Everything else is $210 and up.

Default Appreciate the feedback.

Titus thank you. You got my point.

Black Roadster I agree with you about the unsprung weight but to find a gloss black or a chrome like finish in a 17x7.5 is expensive for the most part. Goodwin has a lot of nice rims at good prices but the RP03 in SBC is $350-$360 in 7 or 8 width not available in 7.5 unless I go 18 and that's a pound and a half heavier. The 17's are 17 pounds same as the Falken Wheel.

As for "bling" factor, I can see their point. This isn't the lightest rim for track or autocross but I don't plan on doing those. Since the trim on my car is silver, chrome, and piano black I thought the gloss black ones would look like a nice match for my grey car. However, it's all personal preference anyway.

What I really wanted to know is the quality of Falken rims. I was wondering if anyone had experiences with them. Seems you get what you pay for so I wanted to know if they are of shoddy quality or workmanship since they're one third the price of the Enkei.

Suspension Modder

Anybody know if TenzoR makes good wheels? "Good" meaning I won't hit a pothole and have it crack on me, or hit a bump and have it bend on me. I was checking out some TenzoR DC-5 wheels for my NC.

If you're looking for a nice looking black with machined lip wheel, check out these Rota D2s! I think they would look great on a NC:

Call Jimmy at www.fuji-racing.com and tell him Thomas sent you. He'll get you a great deal.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

I had a set on my NB and they were really nice and light too.
    I loved them.
    I also bought them from Edge.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I think people may be missing that he is talking about the "Explicit" model, not the first one you see in the link. They look OK to me.

No, I know which wheel it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackzx3_13 View Post
    I think what these guys might be hinting at is they may be a little to "bling" looking for the miata crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by black roadster View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    I don't believe there are as many reasonably priced light wheels that fit over the NC brakes as are available for the NA/NB. The only cheap NC wheel that Goodwin has is the Konig Runaway at $129/each for the 16.6 lb 17x7, and $134/each for the 17.2 lb 17x8. Everything else is $210 and up.

Saw these on a velocity red NC just last week and they looked very nice!
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Blaze View Post
    I had a set on my NB and they were really nice and light too.
    I loved them.
    I also bought them from Edge.
    The wheels you had flattered an NB. Not so much on the NC.

OK... I see it is difficult to find light wheels in that size for a cheap price. (I love that I can use 15" rims!)

I just think there are more attractive options out there.

Here is the Enkei Rsv at $119 ea and 17.5 lbs

Yes it's anthricite but it his still hawt.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)