Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: PCA Autocross #1, 3/30/08, Birdville ISD Stadium

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    For the record we called very few DNF's pretty much everyone drove it as a 3 cone Slalom...
    Except for the course designer who thought he was God I didn't see a single car that didn't drive it as a 3 cone slalom when I was corner working. Then the guy decides to walk out to each individual corner and get in our faces during the session.

I should also note the end of the "slalom" was a hard left and if you blew the braking zone you ran head on into a curb at 35-40 mph, great safety feature to let everyone blow straight through it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Except for the course designer who thought he was God I didn't see a single car that didn't drive it as a 3 cone slalom when I was corner working. Then the guy decides to walk out to each individual corner and get in our faces during the session.
    At least he didn't get all "boo hoo" and go home.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    At least he didn't get all "boo hoo" and go home.
    Bet he would've if he could, was probably scared someone would jump him at the next intersection.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Chassis Designer

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    This:

How would you drive this? We all thought that it was an optional slalom with a bunch of extra boundry cones, so that is how we walked it and that is how we marshalled it. (POS Racing, Brad, and I were on the same corner.) We called DNFs for those that did not slalom the three center cones. During the drivers meeting after lunch, we were told that it was a mix of single and double gates where you could choose any gate you wanted, just as long as it was between cones.

It was actually more fun with the slalom. For a Miata, I did not have to turn the wheel goiong through it in the afternoon.
    I don't see a defined element in that picture and can see how that lead to a lot of confusion. I'd be curious to hear what kind of Solo experience the "course designer" has.
    David Smart
    Mazda MX5 Club - STR 194

Quote Originally Posted by Clovis View Post
    I don't see a defined element in that picture and can see how that lead to a lot of confusion. I'd be curious to hear what kind of Solo experience the "course designer" has.
    Also on the the printed map we got also had some "informational lines" that lead a majority of the participants to believe it was a 3 cone slalom.

IIRC the real map was something like this. Pardon my horrible free hand paint skills.

VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

I would actually have been a neat slalom if you removed the cones on both sides of the (perceived) slalom cone, but kept the gate between each slalom cone. The intended route was just not something that was easy to interprit, even by experienced racers. I applaud the designer for trying something new (we sure need it!), but once you cannot explain it on the printed map, then you need to ditch it.

Looks like there would not be much room for a course if you follow the SCCA rules of 50' from solid objects (required by carts)... and to make me feel safe. Looks like we will need to scrap this idea.

Attached Images Attached Images

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    Looks like there would not be much room for a course if you follow the SCCA rules of 50' from solid objects (required by carts)... and to make me feel safe. Looks like we will need to scrap this idea.
    Ban the carts!

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darron65 View Post
    I am lovin the graphical analysis. Good job, jrj512!
    How you do that???
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

I just grabbed the satt pic from Google Earth (the one on Google Maps has too many cars), removed the cars, and knowing that each parking space is 8x15, I was able to create the boundries in PowerPoint. I then took a screen shot and posted it.

^^ I used to have to do those at work to show overnight vehicles because NOBODY COULD DRAW A FREAKING MAP.
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123