Thread: This may be a similar thread, but... classification?

Default This may be a similar thread, but... classification?

It's been a while since I've autocrossed anything, so I'm guessing that my stock '94 with 15" wheels/bigger tires would automatically be in a Street Prepared class, right? So... with the addition of the Tein Flex and an FM Butterfly, that will probably bump me up again into a Prepared class, as far as SCCA is concerned. I've read elsewhere that other local clubs give some leeway as far as classification. Is ER one of those? I'm not necessarily looking to win my class (God knows I won't at this point), but I'd like to be grouped with some like-minded Miatae to get an idea of where I'm at after being mostly out of Auto-X for, like, 15 years (and racing an F-Stock Mustang automatic at that ). If not, it's not a deal-killer, I'll just be happy to be back in the game again...

Anyhow, I plan to make it out to the Mineral Wells event on 4/20 - first one in the Miata... good times!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I think the wheels and Tein Flex would put you in STS2, but the butterfly brace will put you in Street Mod 2, SM2. Talk to the other STS2 drivers, they may not mind the brace, at least until you start getting close or beat them. If you are on street tires, you could run TSM2. ST* are not eligible for Tire class.

Edit: After looking at another site, I think you are right about the butterfly brace putting your car in Prepared, because of the cross bracing.
    Last edited by cone-cerned; 04-07-2008 at 09:26 PM.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Since it's the first AutoX for the Miata, I'd say it's fine for you to be in STS2... I am too. As long as you don't beat me anyway
    09 Lexus RX350
    .... no Miata

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

I think you'd officially end up in ESP, or TESP on street tires. As was mentioned, until you become a threat I doubt any STS2 drivers would care if you ran with them.

This should help you, but the SCCA rule book is the final judge:

http://www.autocross.com/tr/modules/...index.php?id=8

Looks like you will be in SM2. Since you are running street tires, it will be TSM2.

At least in TSM2, you will have competition with all of the others in the Tire class. It's a fun place to be.

Keep in mind that if you run T class you will want to be more closely following the rules. Like others have said most people dont care until you beat them. In tire class you are running against more people, some of whom may not have the sense of "this is all for fun" that most miata drivers have.

Quote Originally Posted by Majik View Post
    Keep in mind that if you run T class you will want to be more closely following the rules. Like others have said most people dont care until you beat them. In tire class you are running against more people, some of whom may not have the sense of "this is all for fun" that most miata drivers have.
    True, but with a SM2 T index it'd take a miracle anyways.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

According to the SCCA rule book, the Butterfly brace will put you in the Prepared group. I looked at this recently as I am thinking of getting into the sport and I run a butterfly as well.

Now if you take the center portion of the butterfly out for the day you can run in another class as the frame rails are allowed in other classes.

Exclamation

I'm sure if we had enough new Miata drivers wanting to give AX a shot we could make arrangements with ER to run a "participant" class for the newbies for one event.

Honestly for your first few events don't get hung up on classes just go out and see if you like it. The SCCA classes seem to give folks a built in excuse IMHO.

Also if the class stuff spooks ya we always have PCA, BMW, and once in a blue moon an S2K event you could run instead of ER or SCCA.

Back in 2001 my first AX car was an $800 Salvage Title POS (Hence my screen name) it was never competitive (mainly because the driver sucked) but that car helped me realize this AX stuff was good time!

After we pay off the truck and get the wife a new car (next year), the miata will probably start seeing the track. Until then I can't risk breaking her DD.

Believe me, I'm looking forward to my first AutoX in a long time. I don't care about being competitive at this point, I was just curious as to what class I would slot into. No matter what class I end up in, it'll be fun stuff...

My spring semester at A&M we came up with a class called Super Street Mod (SSM) - basically you could run whatever you brung. The only rules were that you had to have street tires with a real street UTG wear rating (over 100, I think), and the car had to be street legal (and by street legal, I mean current tags and inspection sticker - we didn't care how, exactly, you came by that). Now THAT was entertaining! There was one guy running a modded Mustang that ripped off several 12.4 @ 110 1/4 mile runs on stree tires the weekend before in Houston... good times!

What if we had a Super Street Miata class for our own purposes?
    Last edited by trickyrix; 04-08-2008 at 09:32 PM.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    We do but you must be present to win.

This weekends PCA was one of those events!

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Believe me, I'm looking forward to my first AutoX in a long time. I don't care about being competitive at this point, I was just curious as to what class I would slot into. No matter what class I end up in, it'll be fun stuff...

My spring semester at A&M we came up with a class called Super Street Mod (SSM) - basically you could run whatever you brung. The only rules were that you had to have street tires with a real street UTG wear rating (over 100, I think), and the car had to be street legal (and by street legal, I mean current tags and inspection sticker - we didn't care how, exactly, you came by that). Now THAT was entertaining! There was one guy running a modded Mustang that ripped off several 12.4 @ 110 1/4 mile runs on stree tires the weekend before in Houston... good times!

When I went to an A&M event that class was HUGE, probably half the participants were in it. It kind of effectively does away with classing which can be kind of fun if you have a faster car. I do believe the fastest SSM car of the day still lost to a good ole B-stock car though :)
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Tricky, BMWCCA is having an autocross at LaGrave Field in Ft. Worth on the 20th. You'll get 8 runs and probably a few fun runs.

Your car will be classed in X (with all the other Miatas) unless you're on R-comps or with FI.

PM me if you need any more info.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Tricky, BMWCCA is having an autocross at LaGrave Field in Ft. Worth on the 20th. You'll get 8 runs and probably a few fun runs.

Your car will be classed in X (with all the other Miatas) unless you're on R-comps or with FI.

PM me if you need any more info.
    Oh I see how you are, don't share with the rest of the class.....

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Oh I see how you are, don't share with the rest of the class.....

Trying to keep the riff raff out.
    Thomas
    V-to-the-Dub

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamoto View Post
    Trying to keep the riff raff out.
    I think jrj512 will be out of town for that event!

Yeah in dirty town USA, don't walk down any dark alleys.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Yep, I will be in Baton Rouge for the SCCA Divisional. I was asked if I wanted to design the course for the BMW event, but I will not be there.

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    Yeah in dirty town USA, don't walk down any dark alleys.
    You should be okay -- you know kung-fu.

Quote Originally Posted by jrj512 View Post
    . I was asked if I wanted to design the course for the BMW event, but I will not be there.
    Hooray I'll be at BMW for sure then
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater