Thread: Child on the back of a motorcycle...

Default Child on the back of a motorcycle...

Today my wife and I were heading down 35E and a Harley entered the highway with a man and a child on board.

The child was about 2 /12 years old... my wife and I agree no more than 3 tops.

The kid was sitting behind him clutching with his tiny little hands and the dad had his left hand around holding the kids waist.

He could barely get his arms around his dad!

He had a small little airbrushed motorcycle helmet and a little Harley jacket. He must have been real cute at the biker hangout.

Anyway my wife and I debated and decided to call Dallas PD non-emergency. A few exits later we were dialing the number to see if it was legal.

Long story short yes it is... as long as the child has a helmet.

I guess I am still in shock from seeing a small child being hurled down the highway at 70 MPH... barely holding on.

It amazes me law states you must place your child in a child seat in a car yet you can take them on a motorcycle with no tethering.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

Heh... I was that little kid back in the day, and my dad always made me wear my helmet!
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Heh... I was that little kid back in the day, and my dad always made me wear my helmet!

Wow.. at 2 1/2 years of age?

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Wow.. at 2 1/2 years of age?
    Well... ok... maybe not 2 1/2... but I was a small kid at 5.

At 2 1/2 the child should be sitting on the tank.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Since the weather is finally nice again, I've been seeing lots young kids on the back of motorcycles, as well.

My dad used to take me on rides when I was real young, but i sat in front of him.

I've also been seeing a lot of idiots in minimal clothing, not wearing helmets.
    I believe in maximum body protection, not a specific look.

I was around 6 when my dad would take me on very short rides up to the store. Only when there was little traffic.

I've been trying to figure out how to bolt Katie's car seat to the roll bar so we can drive the Miata more.

(just kidding)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

I can see 5+... this child was no more than 3.

Especially because he was sitting behind his dad (with one hand on the handle bars I might add) and on 35E doing 70MPH.

This is the first what I would term "baby" on the back of a motorcycle on the freeway before.

The law states you can give birth to a child and drive them home from the hospital on a bike... just as long as they have a helmet. :)

Quote Originally Posted by XM_Rocks View Post
    Today my wife and I were heading down 35E and a Harley entered the highway with a man and a child on board.

The child was about 2 /12 years old... my wife and I agree no more than 3 tops.

The kid was sitting behind him clutching with his tiny little hands and the dad had his left hand around holding the kids waist.

He could barely get his arms around his dad!

He had a small little airbrushed motorcycle helmet and a little Harley jacket. He must have been real cute at the biker hangout.

Anyway my wife and I debated and decided to call Dallas PD non-emergency. A few exits later we were dialing the number to see if it was legal.

Long story short yes it is... as long as the child has a helmet.

I guess I am still in shock from seeing a small child being hurled down the highway at 70 MPH... barely holding on.

It amazes me law states you must place your child in a child seat in a car yet you can take them on a motorcycle with no tethering.

Has anyone else seen something similar?

That's because ticket writting is not about making you safer, it's about making money off of you.
    99 Miata Black

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    I've also been seeing a lot of idiots in minimal clothing, not wearing helmets.
    I believe in maximum body protection, not a specific look.

I jokingly call those people "Coffin stuffers", in lieu of Bender from Futurama. Whenever I do finally manage to buy a Motorcycle, it just so happens that the "look" that I think is cool is the flight suit look (helmet, jacket, pants, boots, gloves, the works).

So you can take a toddler on a motorcycle with nothing more than a helmet, but a kid needs more crash safety gear than an F1 driver to ride in the back of a full-size sedan?

That's ridiculous.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

My Dad wrecked his kz1000 with me on it when I was 4. I turned out mostly ok

It was very low speed. I knocked out some baby teeth on the guages. I also rode bicycles without a helmet, carried peanut butter sandwiches to school (they are poisonous now and banned), walked to school alone, skate boarded without pads and played on deadly monkey bars.

But did you ever run with scissors?

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    But did you ever run with scissors?
    I ran with scissors... and ate the Elmer's paste...
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition

Suspension Modder

Quote Originally Posted by Flyin94m View Post
    I ran with scissors... and ate the Elmer's paste...
    I thought you were a legend. A myth.

I also remember sitting in my dad's lap and steering our land-yacht around the block at about 5 years old
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson
    There's no six-way traction control. There's no complicated folding metal roof. It's simpler than that. Engine in the front, drive to the rear, and a big smiling piece of meat in the middle.

Currently:

1991 Mariner Blue (daily driver)
    Previously:
    1994 M-Edition