Thread: Bra or no bra

Default Bra or no bra

Now that all you perverts are reading this.....I ordered a Miata bra from Trussville and wanted to know what your opinions on them are. I know I am going to put it on the Silver Shadow before I leave for Tampa this month however I have read that they cause the paint to go fuzzy if left on for long periods of time. I picked up a paint chip ding this weekend and it looks horrible and I don't want anymore if I can help it. Anyone have a bra on now or used one before?
    I live where even the coyotes won't go...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

There was a bra on my car when I bought it. It's the first thing I took off and I sold it. They are hard on the finish and do more harm than good IMHO. Go bra-less!

They trap water behind them and if not installed right they will flop around on your paint... Not to mention getting dirt trapped behind them.

You could always try one of the 3M clear bras... those are simply stuck on over the paint & are clear.

RJ
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Bad, bad, bad idea.

If you want to protect the paint on the front end of your car, try a more modern approach to the problem, like 3M Clearshield or Modern Armor Paint Protection. Basically these are clear vinyl films that are applied to the front end of the car, much like vinyl graphics. But they protect the paint from chipping by cushioning the impact of fine road debris that causes most paint chips. Much better than an old-fashioned bra.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain
    Bad, bad, bad idea.

If you want to protect the paint on the front end of your car, try a more modern approach to the problem, like 3M Clearshield or Modern Armor Paint Protection. Basically these are clear vinyl films that are applied to the front end of the car, much like vinyl graphics. But they protect the paint from chipping by cushioning the impact of fine road debris that causes most paint chips. Much better than an old-fashioned bra.
    Yep I agree with Altiain we need to find someone who would be willing to give us a group deal on it! I'd be willing to participate in that group buy if the price was right!

Okay...so I get the idea I spent 97 dollars for a bad idea....but....would it still be okay to have it on just for a long road trip and remove it afterwards? and...is there anyone who is an expert at fixing paint chips?

That would be fine Tim.

I'm up for a group buy on a clear bra...

Any moderator want to split this off as a separate topic?

RJ

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Tim the Teacher
    ...is there anyone who is an expert at fixing paint chips?
    How big of a chip is it? It's not hard to do touch-up work. Multiple coats of touch-up paint with light wet sanding in between coats to remove the brush strokes.

Okay...so I get the idea I spent 97 dollars for a bad idea....but....would it still be okay to have it on just for a long road trip and remove it afterwards?
    You'll be fine if you wax the hell out of your car before you place the bra on... then promptly wash and wax the area after your trip. I have a OEM bra for my Passat and have yet to have an issue.... well, except for the fact that they rip at 120 mph. :P

I'm on my third one!

I was going to ask a similiar question related to the clear film products available. I have seen this stuff installed on Z3's and other low hood line cars, and most of them have yellowed over time. Might have something to do with the hot Texas sun. I assume the stuff peels off like regular decals and could be replaced if indeed it does yellow or discolor.
    Comments?
    OzCop
    MSM
    "It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"

Sammm....if you have experience with this I might have you lead me through a few of them when you get time. :)

Banned
    Fort Worthless, Tx And deep in the land of STRESSSSSS!!!

If you think 401k, is your mother in law's bra size. .. ...

rory

Quote Originally Posted by Rpt1826
    If you think 401k, is your mother in law's bra size. .. ...
    Huh?

I thought the average size in a Nursing Home was 42 Long!

im thinking that was a "you might be a redneck if..."
    03 LS FM2ish TDR I/C
    99 Disco, the go anywhere ride

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Sammm....if you have experience with this I might have you lead me through a few of them when you get time. :)
    Tim,
    I had a large chip on the nose of my '92 when I bought it. I bought some Mazda OEM touch-up paint and some 1000-grit wet-dry sand paper. Clean the chipped area with rubbing alcohol (careful to stay off the other paint - it won't hurt it, but it will strip any finish or wax right off). Let the alcohol evaporate and/or dry thoroughly before proceeding.
    Get your touch-up paint. (NOTE - do this when the temp/sheet metal is at least 70 degrees). Use a light touch and very thin coats of paint. (1 coat at a time!). Let each coat of paint dry completely. In between coats of paint, do some wet-sanding on the problem spot. Again, stay away from areas you're not touching-up. Some guys cut out very small circles of sand-paper and glue them to a pencil eraser. Gently sand the brush marks off of your touch-up work. Rinse with clean water and examine your work often.
    Keep building up coats of paint (1 at a time) and wet sand in between each coat. Eventually you will have it built up enough to be flush with the rest of the paint on the car. It's not hard, just takes some time and patience! Hope this helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Osborne
    I was going to ask a similiar question related to the clear film products available. I have seen this stuff installed on Z3's and other low hood line cars, and most of them have yellowed over time. Might have something to do with the hot Texas sun. I assume the stuff peels off like regular decals and could be replaced if indeed it does yellow or discolor.
    Comments?
    Phil, when I got my front end repainted I looked into this. Most companies have warranty, so if it peels up or turns yellow they fix it for like 4-5 years. From what I gathered it is like a vinyl stcker, it is cut by computer then they stretch and fix it for a profesional fit and look. Some places said you could install it yourself, for the small price I wouldnt recommend it.

Sammm....thanks for the advice. I may tackle one of the bothersome chips this Sunday if the temps are up.

Yea my 94 had a bra on it when I bought it. Took it off a week later & found the paint all hazy. Will this wax out at all, or am I stuck with a foggy front bumper??

Ive had it off for a few weeks, & im already getting some paint chips, im contemplating putting it back on, for daily commuting & road trips, I dont want it to look like my civic, 2 years of dallas driving, the front bumper looks like a golf ball. Just gotta make sure I take it off & wax it often.
    '94 C-Package Black & Tan | MS3x | exhintake | USDM Tein Monoflex 10/8k | My 8 year roadster evolution

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggerachi
    Yea my 94 had a bra on it when I bought it. Took it off a week later & found the paint all hazy. Will this wax out at all, or am I stuck with a foggy front bumper??
    It depends on if it's scratched or just dirty and/or oxidized. Try hitting it with a wax/cleaner. Meguiars makes one and you can pick it up at Target.