1 3.03%
  • Idiots

14 42.42%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Neighbors

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Question Neighbors

Just looking for a general consensus about how everyone feels about their neighbors.

We've got a mixed bag of neighbors. We really like the people across the street from us, we're basically strangers with the people who live on one side of us, and the people who live on the other side annoy the sh!t out of me.

That's one thing I really miss about our old neighborhood in NRH. We were friends with almost everyone on the block.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

There are no options for "wierd foreigners" or "angry pimps and hoes". I have some of each. I was actually awaken by the sounds of a crying woman being pushed into a wall and being told, "Where's my money....Gimmie my money!" in a deep shouting voice.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

I too have a mixture of the above, but on the whole, they appear to be good people. Except for the house across the street that McKinney PD Narcotics unit raided...
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

We are sort of like Altiain, we've got a mixed bag of neighbors. We really like the two families on one side of us, we're basically strangers with the people who live on other side of us and across the street, and the people who live behind us annoy the sh!t out of me.

Hood was cool back in the day but has lost some of its glitz as the years have roll on.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

In case you're wondering why I asked this question....we have been in our new (to us) house for around 1.5 years now. We have come to the realization that it's never going to be the same as our neighborhood in Arlington (where we knew and were friends with most everyone on our block. Very good friends with next door and across the street neighbors).

There's an older (bunch of them are retired) crowd where we are now and you hardly ever see anyone out and about. Most of them have yard services, so you don't even see people out maintaining their yards. Most everyone has a pool, so people are hanging in their back yards if/when they're out. We're actually considering moving again, but realize there's no guarantee that it will be any better in a new hood.

Love the house, not so crazy about the hood.

Ours are mixed... and we live on a cul-de-sac so we consider them all to be neighbors.

3 nice, 1 nice but speaks no english, 1 new couple, and 1 set of strange ones that live directly across the street.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I think that it would be a bad idea to move because of that. I have a feeling that the situation where you know everyone is going to be less and less the case. Think about all the TV people watch. Also people work all the time, and if they have kids they are always doing extra stuff. I remember when I was a kid my parents and I knew everyone in the neighborhood, not just our street. We had parties where we would invite everyone and have several houses involved. I live in an apartment now, but from what I have seen I dont want to be friends with anyone here. I tried to introduce myself to some people and they probably thought I was casing the joint.

Most of mine are nice to wave to, but there are a few I would call friends
    2005 Lava Orange MSM #601/1428
    211 rwhp, 195 ft. lbs on 1/6/07

There needs to be an all of the above.......
    Smile
    93' LE #1136 - FM II
    250k miles

Still too new in this place to answer.

We have actually spent time driving through the neighborhoods we are looking in on the weekend, looking for activity. 2 that had multiple families and groups of kids out and about are at the top of our list now.

My immediate neighbors are very cool, one is a recluse though.
    The rest are idiots for the most part.
    Living in a HOA sucks, the whiners politic to get on the BOD, so they can mold it like they want.
    They are watching me closely due to the large group of Miatas that frequent my place.

I have quite a few "Friends" with Miata's.

Quote Originally Posted by sammm View Post
    Love the house, not so crazy about the hood.
    Maybe you could try being a little nicer to them... take them a fruit basket....
    --
    Dave
    "Opinions are like ..."

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dave04 View Post
    Maybe you could try being a little nicer to them... take them a fruit basket....
    Standing in the front yard with a wearing a fez and and a bathrobe while yelling at the neighborhood kids may not be helping your cause..... I'm just saying!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

We have lived in our house for 20 years. The neighborhood has a minimum of 5 acres and one family per property. My nearest neighbor is about 200 yards away. We are a live and let live kind of neighborhood, the HOA is very low profile. But, when someone need a helping hand all they have to do is ask.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Quote Originally Posted by cone-cerned View Post
    We have lived in our house for 20 years. The neighborhood has a minimum of 5 acres and one family per property. My nearest neighbor is about 200 yards away. We are a live and let live kind of neighborhood, the HOA is very low profile. But, when someone need a helping hand all they have to do is ask.
    Kind of the same for us. We are on 20 acres, with everybody on our street has at least 5 acres. One neighbor is a TOTAL wacko, drives way to fast and thinks that she owns the road to her house, when in actually its only an access easement. I've actually sent her a certified mail telling her that its not her road. That kind of got her excited.

All the other neighbors (within 5 houses or so) are great. Good friends with one couple and the rest he know on a first name basis. I think the test for a good neighbor is that they are willing to come help you on a Saturday afternoon for a few hours, and not expect any payment, other than beer.
    Hmm what is decent? Are we talking about your decent or my decent? I'm just curious because I don't want to offend anyone else's decent...

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Quote Originally Posted by Ataim View Post
    I think the test for a good neighbor is that they are willing to come help you on a Saturday afternoon for a few hours, and not expect any payment, other than beer.
    We do have 1 neighbor that fits that bill. Unfortunately they are behind us. He helped me replace the whole back fence (only 29' out of 114' is his). Now that it's up again, we never see them.

We also have vampire neighbors. Never see them out in the light of day. It can be 50 degrees outside and the AC is running.

MME Goodwill Ambassador onething's Avatar

We've found this site helpful

i-neighbors

It is invitation only for your neighborhood. As someone mentioned, most of your neighbors stay inside a lot, but they probably have a computer and can log on to see what's happening.

Many of my older neighbors walk for health reasons and are always willing to spend a few minutes talking
    Bidden or not bidden, God is present
    "Up until the moment of impact, I was still having fun." Bob J. Hall San Francisco Region

On both sides of the house I have Brazilian couples.

Both wives like to dress down to nothing during the hot summer months.

That's all I have to say about that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast