Thread: Apex Driving Academy - MSR 1.7 CCW, June 28

Default Apex Driving Academy - MSR 1.7 CCW, June 28

Hey guys,

Apex Driving Academy still has some spots open for their next BYOC (Bring Your Own Car) track day. This will be at Motorsports Ranch on the 1.7 mile track counter-clockwise.

Less than $200 gets you six twenty-minute track sessions, plus free classroom and on track instruction. Apex keeps their events and run groups small, so you don't have to worry about sharing the track with 20 other cars or getting stuck in a train.

I plan to be out there, and I'd love to see some more DFWMiata members out there as well!

Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

I and 2 friends are signed up for this event. I will be driving the RX-8 in the novice class since this is gonna be my first ever DE.

How much track time should I expect in the Novice class? And how many quarts of oil should I take with me?

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

Novice works like this:

• 1st session: "Skills and drills." A slalom is set up on the inside straight, and a threshold braking exercise is set up on the back straight. Students will drive the track from exercise to exercise, gradually increasing speed and feeling how their car responds at the limit in the exercises.
    • 2nd session: "Learn the track." This session the instructor will start out driving the student's car for two or three laps at 6-7/10ths to show the proper line. After a couple laps, instructor will drive into the hot pit, where the student will take over, again working on the proper line with increasing speed. This session is not about speed, but about learning the line.
    • 3rd-6th sessions: Full track sessions, helmets required, passing typically allowed on inside, back, and front straights with point by from the passee. Expect 20-25 minutes per session.

In the Novice group you'll get at least 80 minutes of true track time, plus 20 minutes of skills and drills and 15 minutes of learning the line at 7/10ths. Intermediate students will get 120+ minutes of open track time.

I'd bring a couple of quarts of oil. I typically use one quart every four or five sessions, but I push the car a little harder than you probably will. Also bring sunscreen and plenty of water/Gatorade - it gets hot out there. There is shade and air conditioning in the clubhouse thankfully.

One other suggestion: pay attention to the run group announcements over the loudspeakers. You're paying for the track time, so don't show up to grid five minutes after your group has hit the track, 'cause they won't wait for you!
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Sounds like a good deal, gotta gig that day though.
    99 Miata Black

Sounds like an excellent opportunity. Too bad I'll have a house full of in-laws though. Ones I can't ditch.

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

Their web site says novice is full for June and July. The other groups have openings.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Do they give you your lap times?

Quote Originally Posted by Davidss View Post
    Do they give you your lap times?
    Apex doesn't, although I'm not sure if you can rent a transponder from MSR or not. They do have a Race Technology DL-1 that they install in a different Advanced group car for each run session. the Advanced classroom sessions are primarily a review of the DL-1 data from whoever had it the previous session.
    Iain

I will be there.
    Alan

I had a great time Apex put on a great event.

I was so embarrassed when I spun out during the morning skill and drill slalom (Z1 needs heat), but I got gradually faster. But the afternoon, my instruster agreed to put me into the intermediate group and I was passing G37 and RS4 by the end of the day.

The 8 is awesome to drive on the track! What I lost on the straights is more than made up in braking and cornering. On track mileage is 7.8 MPG and used close to a quart of oil.

Thanks altiain for instructing my friend, and nice to meet joe.MIATA and his Lotus Elan.

Alan
    94 Miata R package RPF1 195 RS-R RB FSB FCM Bilstein Ebay Coilover 550/350
    91 Civic Si Daily Beater

"Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than it is to drive a fast car slowly".

I had a great time at MSR with the APEX folks last weekend. Its been a couple years since I was able to drive fast at an autox or the track. Things were rusty, and the car was too. But everything worked out, and I didn't break the elan. It was my goal to drive the lotus home under its own power. Hell, I've had it for 4 months and have only broke it twice! Just look at that body roll.... http://www.hart-photography.com/phot...ewGallery=3530
    Thanks to SMARTMX5 for his great instruction and info while on-course. It was great fun.

Do not let joe.MIATA be too humble about things being 'rusty'. He is one of the SMOOTHEST, if not the smoothest student I have had. He remembered things very quickly. Plus he was in the Elan and it had plenty of roll. Thanks for the kudos, Joe.
    Alan