Thread: WTB Hardtop

Default WTB Hardtop

Hi everyone, im getting into autocross and my soft top rain rails are bent or something cause my passenger side floods when it rains.... Its nice... i need to buy a hardtop for those 2 reasons. If anyone has anything let me know.

Thx

More than likely, the drain tube is plugged. Get an old hanger, straighten it and ram it down the hole, which is just behindthe seatbelt tower.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Yep. From Miata.net

If water is leaking in from the driver's or passenger's window near the soft top weather-stripping, try closing the door after closing the window. This forces the window to contact the weather-strip a bit differently than when the window is closed while the door is closed.

Another possible source of top leaks may be the seam on the edge of the roof. We know of at least one individual who was successful using a bottle of water repellent "shoe protector" available at most shoe stores. After spraying several coats on a dry area of the top seam, the leaking ceased.

There are two common places a Miata will leak water into the interior, where the top meets the windshield frame, around the windows where they contact the moldings. Leaks at the windshield frame are usually caused by dirty or damaged moldings or the latches not being tight enough. Usually you will notice the top will squeak and rattle if it isn't latched down tight.

A third leak area has been cropping up lately with older Miatas. People have reported wetness in the trunk which can be caused by one of several factors: Dried out weather-stripping around the trunk, a cracked rain rail on the convertible top, or dried out weather-stripping around the tail lights. The tail light weather-strip problem has been appearing more and more frequently on the older vehicles.

If your convertible top doesn't latch securely, or the latches seem to be difficult to close, they may be adjusted improperly. Open the latch and examine the inside. There is a small plastic 'cover' that keeps the latch adjustment screw from moving. Pop the cover off and adjust the screw as needed to get the latches to close smoothly, yet tight enough to keep the top from rattling or leaking. If the latches become difficult to open or close, a small amount of oil on the moving parts should help. Don't over tighten, as this will make the top difficult to close.

There are three moldings that fit around the window, and water can leak either between them and the window, or between them and the top. Each of these moldings is attached to a metal 'track' that is secured to the top frame with two screws. NOTE: The window molding that is closest to the windshield header is held on by two screws, the others have nothing holding them.

I have a drain brush and if you live near McKinney or come out to a Wednesday night Plano GTG then I'll help you fund the drain holes and clean them out.

Here is more info.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

cool, ill try that, and i am going to try and start making it to the wensday night gtg