Thread: Cornerweighting

Default Cornerweighting

Im getting Tein Flexes very soon and I am nervous about doing everything right. Seems to me that the install should be easy enough, but im not so sure about getting the ride height correct. My main concern is cornerweighting. How important is it? Any tips and input are appreciated.

thanks
    '01 NB White - HDHCHT Roll Bar, FM sways, TDR Strut brace, Mazdaspeed mounts, FM Butterfly Brace, Tein Flexes, Hard Top, Ooogah oogah horn.

Quote Originally Posted by nb4lyfe View Post
    Im getting Tein Flexes very soon and I am nervous about doing everything right. Seems to me that the install should be easy enough, but im not so sure about getting the ride height correct. My main concern is cornerweighting. How important is it? Any tips and input are appreciated.

thanks
    Measure ride height from the center caps of your wheels to the top of the wheel arch. Make sure the car is on a very level surface, for accuracy. Each time you lift the car up to adjust the height, roll it backwards and forwards 5 feet or so, to settle any extra load on the suspension parts. Good starting points for ride height are 12.25-12.5 inches from the center of the wheel to the top of the arch. There can be differences from front to rear, but try to make it all level from side to side. If you have friends to help, put somebody your size in the driver's seat when measuring ride height (or better yet you sit while they work). After setting ride height, you can corner weight (if you have scales) by making finite adjustments in ride height and preload. I don't know many guys who go through the trouble, though. If you want to be that picky, you have to be willing to relocate parts in your car to evenly distribute weight.
    1994 R-package - gone, but not forgotten.
    1966 Toyota Land Cruiser FJ40. Restification in progress. or should I say De-RUSTification in progress?
    1984 Honda VF1100S. V4 Fury!

Orange cones fear me. cone-cerned's Avatar

I don't think you need to worry about corner weighting. Miatas are well balanced to start with. My car has stock suspension, except for a Flying Miata 1" front anti-sway bar. We weighted the car at the Fort Worth National Tour. On the official SCCA scales, the corner weight was 49.5-50.5%. I was not in the car.
    On the track, I am fearless.
    If you were as slow as me, you wouldn't be afraid either.

1994 M Edition
    CSP 67

Corner weighting really doesn't make much of a difference on a street car. It is also a very tedious process and requires corner scales and someone who knows what they are doing.

Save your money.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Iain's right about the cost.

The time and accuracy required to properly cornerweight a car is quite a task.

mr brg cornerweighted his car and he said it took a few hours to get it dialed in. One single change effects every other coilover/shock. Very tedious.

Maybe one day I'll buy a set of cornerweights.....

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    Iain's right about the cost.

The time and accuracy required to properly cornerweight a car is quite a task.

mr brg cornerweighted his car and he said it took a few hours to get it dialed in. One single change effects every other coilover/shock. Very tedious.

Maybe one day I'll buy a set of cornerweights.....
    LOL you think that's bad, it took BAM! 3 hours just to ALIGN the Elise.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    LOL you think that's bad, it took BAM! 3 hours just to ALIGN the Elise.
    He was probably afraid he'd break something or it would fall off the rack.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw

Quote Originally Posted by altiain View Post
    He was probably afraid he'd break something or it would fall off the rack.
    Trust me EVERY Elise owner knows where the correct jack points are on the car after the incident with the orange one
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

alright, skipping corner weighting. Thx for the advice
    '01 NB White - HDHCHT Roll Bar, FM sways, TDR Strut brace, Mazdaspeed mounts, FM Butterfly Brace, Tein Flexes, Hard Top, Ooogah oogah horn.

a year ago I paid a guy to align and corner weight two different cars

the price was (I thought) very reasonable

don't know if the same deal is still available

they are both fast and neutral handling

PM me if you want to know who and details
    2009 MX-5 STR and track toy
    2003 Z06 -- Not a Miata, but 3200# and 400 RWHP is fun
    OTM -- 2012 Sierra, 2016 Impala (Appliances)