Thread: Caliper frozen.. Changing Brake Fluid

Unhappy Caliper frozen.. Changing Brake Fluid

Umm... help?

I had a zx2 buddy come over and supervise me as i changed the pads and rotors on the Miata today. First time I've done a brake job 100% by myself. Got new rotors and pads on 3 of 4 corners. Was easier than I thought for the most part... short of the over-torqued lug nuts. However, the passenger rear caliper was frozen, so I had to get a new caliper. My Friend was unable to stay. Anyone want to walk me through on how to replace it and bleed the system/ refill? Looks relatively *simple* to bolt the new caliper on... but something always goes wrong. If someone wants to meet up and help me, or try walk me through it on here I'd appreciate it! If not, he can help me again next Sunday morning, but i feel bad dragging him out to Dallas 2 Sundays in a row.

So you picked up a rebuild caliper... did you get the slider bolts and some high temp grease too? Those slider pins need to be lubed up well to keep them from freezing again.

Where are you located?
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Thanks for the help!

The piston was frozen in the right rear. I'm not sure if the sliders came with it, but if that is the bolt that holds it all together, the old one appears fine, and was well lubed.

As for the tutorial, I already had that printed out and with me...along with a bunch of other tutorials from miata.net I thought would be usefull.Still curious on how to flush the brake system; i didn't find a write-up on that. Do the brake lines just bolt in... anything special i need to do to them?

The car is near Forest and the Dallas North Tollway

The brake lines simply bolt right in. Strange that you have a frozen piston though. That's VERY uncommon. The typical brake problem on a Miata is the freezing of the slider pins. Did you do the brakes properly? There's a screw to back out when moving the caliper piston out to fit the new pads in.

There are 4 ways to flush it.

1. Use a Mighty Vac and pull the fluid through. Refill the master cylinder as necessary. When clear fluid comes out you know you have finished that wheel. This is a one man job but I've never been successful using one of those crappy tools.

2. Pump the brake pedal then open the bleeder valve and let the pedal go to the floor. Close the valve before letting up on the pedal. Do this until clear fluid comes out. This is a 2 man job.

3. Build a pressure cap to use air to push the fluid through the system. Open the bleeder valve and let fluid run out until the master cylinder gets low. Close the valve, shut off the air, add more fluid, and repeat until clear fluid comes out. This is typically a 2 man job.

4. Install Speedbleeders on each wheel. Put a tube on them and shove it in a jar. Open them up about 1/4 turn then pump the brake pedal to pump the fluid out. Add fluid to the master cylinder as necessary and repeat until clear fluid comes out. This is a one man job and VERY easy to do but requires the purchase of Speedbleeders.

Me? I prefer #4 and have Speedbleeders installed on each of my Miatas.

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    3. Build a pressure cap to use air to push the fluid through the system. Open the bleeder valve and let fluid run out until the master cylinder gets low. Close the valve, shut off the air, add more fluid, and repeat until clear fluid comes out. This is typically a 2 man job.
    Nah flushed the Miatas a couple weeks back and it was just me, myself, and I with the coolie pressure cap!
    Quote Originally Posted by sxk122 View Post
    Do the brake lines just bolt in... anything special i need to do to them?
    Just reverese the procedure ya did for removal of the brake line, just make sure ya get the washers in the correct location. You can use the other side as a visual guide.

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Nah flushed the Miatas a couple weeks back and it was just me, myself, and I with the coolie pressure cap!
    That's why I said 'typically' - it'll be his first time doing it. With practice it's a single person job.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The brake lines simply bolt right in. Strange that you have a frozen piston though. That's VERY uncommon. The typical brake problem on a Miata is the freezing of the slider pins. Did you do the brakes properly? There's a screw to back out when moving the caliper piston out to fit the new pads in.

RJ
    The hex screw to back the piston out on the right rear wouldn't budge. I haven't unhooked then lines from that caliper, the frozen one is still on the car. I picked up the new one (rebuilt) to go on, and it did come with a new pin, clips, and W spring. I had no problem getting the other 3 wheels done. With Shaun there, I'm sure it was done right. Your descriptions sound easy enough, but I think I'm gonna wait till Sunday and have him there so I don't screw anything up. Like having my own ASE professor, lol.

I don't mind if the car won't run because I've done something stupid... when it won't stop, i get nervous...

As for bleeding... he told me to buy some vinyl tubing, and asked if i had a jug , so I'm not sure what method he had in mind....

Blog Entries

As for bleeding... he told me to buy some vinyl tubing, and asked if i had a jug , so I'm not sure what method he had in mind....

Number 2. above
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

gotcha.

learn something new daily :)