Thread: When to replace suspension bushings?

Default When to replace suspension bushings?

The car has a total of about 90K miles. I have been tracking my miata for over 4 years. The car has been a dedicated spec for 1.5 years. In that 1.5 years, I have logged over 20 HPDE weekends. I am wondering when to replace factory bushings. Granted, thrashing the car as much as I have, the car will not be as 'tight' as it was a few years back. Curious to read a few opinions from the board. When would one want/need/suggest to replace the bushings?
    TIA,
    Alan

I've heard it's a good upgrade regardless of the miles, especially for track/autoX cars.

That is if you want to go through the hassle of doing it. I remember reading that it's quite a PITA. You need a torch to get the old bushings out and a press to get the new ones in.

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

I had BAM <AJ> do the polyurethane bushings from TIEN they make a world of difference. It is an expensive upgrade; but well worth it. Gary did the upgrade as well about 2 or 3 months ago and he was very suprised at the noticable difference in the car. It really is night and day and I couldn't recommend a better upgrade for your miata that will make that much of a difference.
    Blah blah blah!

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I had BAM <AJ> do the polyurethane bushings from TIEN they make a world of difference. It is an expensive upgrade.
    So, how much $, parts and labor? Since we all are card carrying members of TCB and has to prioritize our upgrades.
    Gabriel

Quote Originally Posted by MiataMike View Post
    I had BAM <AJ> do the polyurethane bushings from TIEN they make a world of difference. It is an expensive upgrade; but well worth it. Gary did the upgrade as well about 2 or 3 months ago and he was very suprised at the noticable difference in the car. It really is night and day and I couldn't recommend a better upgrade for your miata that will make that much of a difference.

My car is spec'd out now. I need the competition stock bushings in the car to be legal. How did he know when to replace the bushings?

History lesson, first.....

I bought a brand new 96R strictly for racing, SSB at the time. Got 1800 miles break-in before the conversion. I raced three seasons, running both Regionals and Nationals, Runoffs, and a couple of enduro's before I changed mine,the same time I replaced the bilsteins and and valve springs. It was a BEAR of a job pressing the bushings. What I noticed was that the new bushing design was a bit different. Less rubber to metal contact on the outside, leading me to believe that this was done for a softer ride. In fact, Seat of the pants feel confirmed that. I would not do it again, at least not on an SSB car where you gotta runn OEM shocks/springs.

I switched to SM in early 2000, with my first race in April. With the hefty springs, it felt like any other SM I've driven. My conclusion is to leave the old bushings in unless they are deteriorating or pushing out of the a-arms.
    92 Sunny 214k, 95 Dimples, 93 James Bondo, 92 SM (Speedie Jr )
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)
    MSR #1001, SCCA #208822 Let's go racin'

Quote Originally Posted by gabkwong View Post
    So, how much $, parts and labor? Since we all are card carrying members of TCB and has to prioritize our upgrades.
    Well for the complete kit of adjustable bushings is a bit over $400 labor unless you did it your self is probably around 8-12 hours
    Blah blah blah!

bushing kit about 400
    labor is 500. (was 700) still cheaper than anyone else. i can do it in a day, but will prefer 2, (so i can also check for suspension noises and abnormailities etc etc etc.)

TrackDog has two cars with the polyeurethane bushings now.

This spring we changed the rear bushing is jrj512's '92.

It was a lot easier that we all figured it was going to be. But we did have the advantage of lost 216's shop and his press!

jrj512's car needed replaced due to excessive movement in the bushing that concerned the SCCA tech folks, they were shot!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMerv View Post
    History lesson, first.....

I bought a brand new 96R strictly for racing, SSB at the time. Got 1800 miles break-in before the conversion. I raced three seasons, running both Regionals and Nationals, Runoffs, and a couple of enduro's before I changed mine,the same time I replaced the bilsteins and and valve springs. It was a BEAR of a job pressing the bushings. What I noticed was that the new bushing design was a bit different. Less rubber to metal contact on the outside, leading me to believe that this was done for a softer ride. In fact, Seat of the pants feel confirmed that. I would not do it again, at least not on an SSB car where you gotta runn OEM shocks/springs.

I switched to SM in early 2000, with my first race in April. With the hefty springs, it felt like any other SM I've driven. My conclusion is to leave the old bushings in unless they are deteriorating or pushing out of the a-arms.
    MadMerv,
    I will take another look at my bushings. I know that I have a couple of months down time and I wanted to 'get ready' for next season and hopefully be racing at all the races in the area.
    Thanks for the tidbit,
    Alan

PS. I do not expect to be running in the top 50%. I hear there is always someone to race with, even if it is for dead last....

You better believe it! That's what is so fun about SM :) I'm finally back working on my new SM. Hopefully I will see you out there next season, too!
    Shelley, Apex, Tigger, Max, Baby(cats), Fluffy, Spot, and Peanut (mini horses), Cinnamon & Bitsy(dawgs)

carefully jack up one of the rear wheels by the lower control arm next to the tire, then squatting near the tire that jacked up, firmly push and pull on the top of said tire in and out. if theres play there, then the rear upper control arm bushings are worn alot. the outter ones go pretty quickly in my experience...

Quote Originally Posted by BAM! View Post
    carefully jack up one of the rear wheels by the lower control arm next to the tire, then squatting near the tire that jacked up, firmly push and pull on the top of said tire in and out. if theres play there, then the rear upper control arm bushings are worn alot. the outter ones go pretty quickly in my experience...
    Soooo, do you think 222,222+ miles is about time?

with MY driving? id be suprised if it wasnt worn down to the metal!