Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Header help.....

yeah. thats what i thought. i got similar prices from 2 places...

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    $200?!?!

I was thinking 50 to maybe 75.

To do it right it needs to be removed and welded. If you remove it and reinstall it yourself then it's much cheaper. I paid the guy at the muffler shop $25 to weld mine.

Hell, cheap aftermarket 1.6L headers are 100 to 160 bux plus shipping on eBay.

Edit: evn cheaper... look at item 370071678465

RJ
    Last edited by channelmaniac; 07-31-2008 at 06:37 PM.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

I loooked at that earlier tonight.... there seem to be dire warnings posted all over miata.net

I would be happy to install something like that if it actually fits.... and holds together for a few years

in his feedback...

recieved product, BUT the header did not fit correctly and needed modification!!turbodsm17 ( 39)
    May-29-08 14:18 Exhaust Headers 89-93 Mazda Miata MX-5 1.6L Header (#140233227009)

Then do some research on Miata.net to see what is out on eBay that fits/works. There was someone here that bought the OBX header but I forget who. A search here would help you.

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    Then do some research on Miata.net to see what is out on eBay that fits/works. There was someone here that bought the OBX header but I forget who. A search here would help you.

I've been looking on Miata.net... everyone rags on the ebay stuff.... but no one has any personal experience. I emailed the guy that left the feedback i copied here. Pending his response i may get it. Might be something as simple as the heat shield not fitting..... thanks for bouncing ideas back and forth, i think better with help

The thing I remember about the eBay OBX header was that it needed a little tweaking with a hammer to fit next to the transmission.

Maybe that's what he ran into?

RJ

He replied...

"the stud holes furthest from eachother on the top needed to be widened, they were a bit too close to slip the header right on,, also the o2 sensor bung was wat too far down the pipe,, the wire will need to exteded to fit..
    other than that, not bad.. "

What do y'all think.... worth it?

I bought the OBX header for my '96. No hammering required, though the gasket face wasn't quite lined up perfectly. I got a new gasket and a put a little extra on the torque wrench and all is sealed up. EGR port wasn't aligned, either - but the guys at Pronto added a little heat and massaged the EGR pipe into place.

There's a couple different 'cheap' headers on ebay - including the OBX and the XTUNE that Wags has for sale. I'd bet any of them will need a little massaging in one way or another.

Check the "Power Mods" section on m.net - that's where I found my info and decided the OBX would be the least trouble. But I was looking for NA 1.8L headers - so the answer for a 1.6 may be different.

You might check with Gary at TDR, as he might well have either a non-leaking OEM manifold or an aftermarket header lying around somewhere...

Good luck,
    Craig
    '96 M-edition

Ebay header ordered.... As Creek stated, if i don't like it I can always re-ebay it. Plus, from emailing people that left feedback on the header it was of ok quality. Updates and pics to come when it arrives.

The Ebay header showed up in the mail yesterday.

I'm surprised.

Pleasantly so.

Proof will be in the fitment, and I'll post more pics then.

$108 dollars to my door.

Blog Entries

Cool. "I'm too sexy for my headers"
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Looks very nice. Let us know how the fit is.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12