Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very Loud Engine Ticking, Video inside

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    I haven't pulled the valve cover yet, never dug into the inside of an engine before. I suppose I'd need to disconnect a few things and get a new gasket if I were to do that?
    Gasket wouldn't hurt is pretty easy to pull the valve cover on a Miata.

Here is a how-to (With Pictures!) - http://www.miata.net/garage/valvecover/index.html

From the Archives here is a shot of my the POSII ('92) sans valve cover!

BTW. Good writeup here on how the HLA's work - http://www.miata.net/garage/hla/index.html

You can also try this:
    http://www.amsoil.com/StoreFront/aef.aspx

I have a little more faith in Amsoil than in ATF as well. I've used this more than a couple times. You change the oil filter, put this in and high idle for 10-20 minutes, then change oil and filter as normal.
    A guy on miataturbo.com sales Amsoil at cost, let me know and I'll get you his username.

I say this, but I truly believe it's a LE gremlin!

Chris
    Last edited by Miatamaniac92; 07-23-2008 at 08:46 AM. Reason: grammar correction
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    what weight?
    5w30
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by channelmaniac View Post
    The valve cover gasket can be reused if it's not too hardened. If it is then it'll work as long as it isn't cracked, but will leak a bit.

I sent you a PM with some details on checking the lifters to see if one collapsed.

If you can wait until this weekend I can help you with it. Right now I'm a little far away for that.

RJ

Got the PM, if you're free Sat evening or anytime Sunday that would be great just shoot me a PM when you're back in town.

In the meantime I'll probably the Amsoil flush, change the oil and see if that takes care of it. Thanks for all the info guys, I really appreciate it.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Sounds like rod knock from a spun rod bearing. See my thread on S2ki on why I know what it sounds like
    '02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

I can't say whether that sound is lifter tick or worse but I just did the 2twisty flush and it did help my car. I no longer have any tick on cold start up and the engine just seems to run smoother so I would definitely recommend trying it. I didn't use the kerosene and just let the ATF and SAE50 drain for a while, once you have the new good oil and filter in then let it run for about 20 min and the noise should be gone if it is lifter tick, can't hurt to try it.
    John O.
    94R

That is a rod knock. If it was lifter tap it would sound like my car.
    I'm not speeding officer, I'm qualifying!!!

92 Red (sold)
    2006 ZX6R 636 (sold)
    99 S10 ZQ8 (sold)
    95 Merlot M
    05 GSXR 600 (To buy my house)

FWIW, it does sound very much like 3/10ths scale of Kags' car... But that sounded about that loud from 100 odd feet behind following him out of MSR... So I'll cast my pre-diagnosis vote in the bottom end camp.
    Maybe 4 wheels aren't so bad after all... wickett.org
    It only goes to show when people can no longer discriminate on the grounds of race, religion, or sexual orientation, they can improvise and still find someone to hate. - Dave Moulton

I think its rock knock too. Drain 1qt, then run 1 qt of ATF for a few miles. If it doesn't go away, its safe to say its not in the valve train.

ATF is an incredibly good detergent...its can't be beaten.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    I think its rock knock too. Drain 1qt, then run 1 qt of ATF for a few miles. If it doesn't go away, its safe to say its not in the valve train.

ATF is an incredibly good detergent...its can't be beaten.
    I'm not sure I want to drive it anywhere, would idling it for say 20 mins do the trick?
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

If your going to idle with 1 quart of ATF for 20 min you may as well do it right and idle for an hour with 3qt ATF and 1 qt 50 SAE it's a pretty easy and useful flush. I am confident that it will let you know whether or not you have a really bad lifter tick or something else because ATF should take care of lifter tick.
    John O.
    94R

FWIW, if you drain the oil and see this, you know you've spun a rod bearing.

'02 Berlina S2k
    J's 60RS, K&N FIPK, AUT CF cooling panel,
    JDM sidemarkers, S badges, BYS emblems,
    Mugen TP, 11.7:1 CR, Comptech Header,
    Hello Kitty Mugen badge

Blog Entries

Like above, drain the oil and swirl the pan like a gold miner, if you find metal it's the rod bearing. That would be my guess anyway. You can cut the oil filter open and have a look at what it's got in it too. Just cut the crimp around the open end with metal snips.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Default Eerie!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post

Looks like the three stages of life:

Embryo, Man, Skull.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Payrot View Post

That doesn't look good. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it yet but will probably check it out this weekend.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Update?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Nothing yet, planning to change the oil tonight and see if I can find some metal flakes (hopefully not). Channelmaniac may also come by and have a listen, he's much more experienced at this kind of thing.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Well channelmaniac was kind enough and stop by to take a listen. Seems like lifter tick so I'm going to try changing the oil and see if that takes care of it. If not should just be replacing lifters and that's it. Thank goodness it's not a rod bearing. I'll report back.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater

Sounded just like my Spec when you start it after it sits for a couple of months (or longer!)

The difference is that the lifters in my spec eventually pump up and work.
    Daily Driver: 2013 Club edition in Pearl White Mica

Lightness? What's that? I drive a PRHT!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast