Thread: WTB: FM high flow cat

Default WTB: FM high flow cat

Anybody got one they want to unload?
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days
    8/16/08 (bone stock): 103.1 hp/99.0 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/23/08 (Borla cat-back): 108.2 hp/104.1 lb-ft - Dynojet
    8/13/11 (more stuff...): 126 hp/116 lb-ft - Mustang dyno

Roger Moore: the Danny White of James Bonds

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    Not FM, but I got my Magnaflow High Flow from www.autopartswarehouse.com for around $80 shipped, bolted right in. A little louder than stock and who knows if it actually flows better - but it doesn't rattle and it's not plugged up like the stocker was.

YMMV and all that...
    '96 M-edition

Quote Originally Posted by trickyrix View Post
    From my experience, The OEM one seems to net you as much or more than the FM does when supercharged. The FM one is louder. I suspect the FM would be preferred for a Turbo car. Can't speak for a normally aspirated car but I think Wags did some testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Titus View Post
    From my experience, The OEM one seems to net you as much or more than the FM does when supercharged. The FM one is louder. I suspect the FM would be preferred for a Turbo car. Can't speak for a normally aspirated car but I think Wags did some testing.
    I found wags' butt-dyno thread, and on his N/A car the FM won out (granted, butt dyno). But since I'll eventually go supercharged, I'd like to try and get it right the first time. Would the FM cat be preferred on a turbo car for noise reasons or would it make more power on a turbo car?

Also, isn't the FM cat smaller than the OEM? I've heard that it's a little tricky to get the FM Butterfly brace to clear the OEM exhaust and keep it from hanging too low.

BTW, Craig, that MagnaFlow looks awful tempting...
    '94 Black & Black & Tan
    '99 head swap, JR header, TDR intake & header blanket, MegaSquirt, RB hollow bar, Tein Flex, 15x8 6ULs, HD M2 Sport, FM cat, Borla cat-back, black '95M interior, MOMO Zebrano, IL Motorsport console...

Dyno Days

Turbo cars like as little back pressure as possible. Superchargers don't seem to be as affected by a little back pressure as the turbo cars.

As I recall, there is little or no difference in size between the FM cat and the OEM cat.

FM cat is 1 7/8?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

FWIW, The JR high flow cat that was on my red '96 made a few horses on the dyno.

Also, the smallness of the high flow cats is a plus with a butterfly brace. I had the brace w/ the JR cat on the red '96 and fit wayyyyy better than the stock cat. Just ask machismo next time you see him. He has the parts off of the red '96. :)

Quote Originally Posted by johnwag View Post
    FWIW, The JR high flow cat that was on my red '96 made a few horses on the dyno.

Also, the smallness of the high flow cats is a plus with a butterfly brace. I had the brace w/ the JR cat on the red '96 and fit wayyyyy better than the stock cat. Just ask machismo next time you see him. He has the parts off of the red '96. :)
    Cool... exactly what I was looking for. I'm planning on installing the Butterfly in the next week or two, so if I'm going to swap cats I want to go ahead and do it this week.
    '94 Black & Black & Tan

Dyno Days