Thread: Shock Questions

Driver
    Blog Entries

Question Shock Questions

I've finally realized that I have a dead rear shock, even though I have had a picture of it on my web site for quite a while. I've looked at a few sites trying to compare prices and options, but I am having a hard time figuring out what fits without new springs and/or drilling and what doesn't from various sites' descriptions. The car is mainly a commuter, black and tan (so it has the sport suspension), and since I work every Sat and Sun, autox isn't likely except as a spectator on the way to work.

I saw Dark Shadow's deal (http://forums.dfwmiata.com/showthread.php?t=12532) which to me looks like the best solution if I can get a day off before he sells them. If I can get time, is there any reason they won't fit/be a good idea? Any better ideas?

Thanks
    Mike Walsted - Not an expert, just a data point.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

With 70k miles I think I'd pass unless you can't spend more than $100. For about $300 you can get a new set of KYB AGX. Yes the are adjustable but that can be a good thing for a DD since you can make the ride a bit softer.

If it were me and I was looking for what you mentioned, I'd go with new KYB AGX. They are a direct swap, no drilling and will work with the stock springs. You don't "have to" ajust them but the option is there if you ever do AutoX the car.

KYB AGX are cheapest on eBay.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Driver
    Blog Entries

If I needed them right now, $100 would be near the upper limit, but since I've driven on the dead shock for thousands of miles, the focus is on value (considering that I am planning on putting at LEAST another 100K on the car) rather than low price. Sounds like AGX it is.

Thanks.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

spend $100 more on bilstein and they'll last much longer.
    TXMC: Drinkin, shootin, racin!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post

My KYBs have lasted a long long time. You can re-valve Bilsteins though.
    ...and across the line.

Driver
    Blog Entries

That's why I'm confused. The $100 from Dark Shadow are Bilsteins with 70K miles. I have read on the pointy board that Bilsteins last forever, so the 70Kmiles would be insignifican in the grand scheme of things. If new KYBs would last more than three times longer than Bilsteins with 70K, then new KYBs are the better deal. If NEW Bilsteins last more than about 25% longer than NEW KYB AGX, then NEW Bilsteins are a better deal than NEW KYB AGXs.

The thing that is confusing me is that there are various posts on the pointy board saying that Bilsteins las forever. If so, the obvious choice is to get the used Bilsteins. If not, then the question is cost per commuter mile driven for something that fits without modification and works as it should, and that gets back to either Dark Shadow's used Bilsteins, or new KYB AGXs.

Thanks
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Just go with the KYBs. Honestly, you do not even need the AGX if your just commuting, but as BR said, you can keep them soft for daily and if you ever decide to play on an AX course or a track, then you can stiffen them up.

I have 185k on my Bilsteins, and your welcome to see how well they hold up.

AGX's are noisy, that would drive me bonkers.
    Plus how many times are you gonna crawl under the car to adjust them.
    For a Commuter only, try GR2's. They are cheap and a bit better than stock.
    Last edited by Rogue; 08-18-2008 at 08:55 PM.

KYB also makes a GR2 which is a nonadjustable oem replacement. I'm not sure if they make them for the Miata but if they do it should be dirt cheap like 50 a piece.
    VW Bug in running shoes
    M Porcupine sedan
    M Porcupine coupe
    Crusty old e46 beater
    Battery Powered appliance car

Quote Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
    KYB also makes a GR2 which is a nonadjustable oem replacement. I'm not sure if they make them for the Miata but if they do it should be dirt cheap like 50 a piece.

I had them on my old 95M and felt that were noticeable stiffer than stock.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brg View Post
    $100 for the Hard S Bilsteins is a decent deal - and they do last a long time. As a replacement shock for 99+, I'd go Bilstein HD over AGX. YMMV
    '96 M-edition

Talking

I have a set of Bilstein on my '99 Sport I like them!

I also question the last forever Miata.net claim, since nothing lasts forever but the Earth and sky, All we are is dust in the wind.
    Last edited by POS Racing; 08-19-2008 at 07:57 AM. Reason: fis sppelin

Driver
    Blog Entries

Does it matter whether I have the sport suspension or not when ordering replacements? Some ads (like this one,) indicate that some aren't for sport suspension, others don't differentiate.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    I have a set of Bilstein on my '99 Sport I like them!

I also question the last forever Miata.net claim, since nothing lasts forever but the Earth and sky, All we are is dust in the wind.
    To be honest, I think the posts I read were more along the lines of "won't ever need replacing", but then again, a lot o folks on the pointy board think that cars are worn out after 100K.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    Does it matter whether I have the sport suspension or not when ordering replacements? Some ads (like this one,) indicate that some aren't for sport suspension, others don't differentiate.
    Remeber on the '99 Mazda's standard suspension was referenced as "Sport", and the Sport Suspension was referenced as "Hard S".

Clear as Mud!

Link - http://www.miata.net/faq/production.html

Driver
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by POS Racing View Post
    Remeber on the '99 Mazda's standard suspension was referenced as "Sport", and the Sport Suspension was referenced as "Hard S".
    Ahhh, so the ads that say "Except Sport" really mean "Except Hard S". Got it. Thanks.
    1999 Miata
    2003 MIata
    1999 Miata
    2001 Kia Rio

Quote Originally Posted by Walsted View Post
    Ahhh, so the ads that say "Except Sport" really mean "Except Hard S". Got it. Thanks.
    Let us know if ya need help installing those shocks we have replaced more than our fair share over the years!

I'd recommend Dark Shadow's deal. It's a good bang for your buck.

You might also think about adding some FCM bump stops for a little refresher.
    http://www.fatcatmotorsports.com/FCM...roducts_NB.htm

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant