Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm doing a 60k service on my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    OUCH! You should have asked around here. I am sure someone would have helped.
    Duly noted! I hadn't had the car long and didn't know prior history for maintenance...so it seemed like the thing to do. Had loads of problems after and had to take it back for "adjustments" and a few fixes, and to retrieve my K & N air filter which I asked them to leave on...but they didn't. They retrieved it from the trash days later.

So much better when you do things yourself - gl William!

Parts are in and I'm ready to go.

I'll be starting sometime Saturday morning and plan to take my time and be thorough. Y'all swing on by and watch or help out if you'd like. We can B.S. about cars. Really low-key. We can order a pizza if we get hungry and I'll have Dr. Peppers if you get thirsty. Want something else to drink, bring it with you.

Anyone get lost or need directions, feel free to call. I may still be wrenching on Sunday so if you can't make it Saturday, call me Sunday.

two won fore / seven oh seven - 911 too.

William

Monday I'll be borrowing a friends Porter Cable and shining the ole' girl up.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Sounds fun.
    John O.
    94R

Ah, another exciting episode of NMFC.

Chassis Designer

Tell us how it went. Would be there but I'm behind on my studies and you're 60 miles away .
    '95R

Quote Originally Posted by popopo View Post
    Tell us how it went. Would be there but I'm behind on my studies and you're 60 miles away .

So far I've jacked up the car.
    Removed air intake.
    Removes shock tower brace.
    Removed Radiator.
    Removed accessory belts.

It's hot and I'm taking a break!
    ...and across the line.

I thought we were going out of town this weekend, but turns out we didn't. I woulda come on up there had I known I'd still be here. By the time I got to McKinney, you'll probably be finishing up.

So after 20 minutes its time for a beer?

Quote Originally Posted by cam76034 View Post
    I thought we were going out of town this weekend, but turns out we didn't. I woulda come on up there had I known I'd still be here. By the time I got to McKinney, you'll probably be finishing up.
    Not really! Nexus Flux won't be here until around 2pm and no one else showed up.

I'm taking my time on this.

All coolant hoses are off except those little bitches going to the oil cooler under the intake. I'm working on them now.

If you want to get into the nuts and bolts of a timing belt, I'll be here. Call if you want to know where I'm at before you drive over. (Phone number listed in previous post)
    ...and across the line.

Thanks to Nails and Nexus Flux for helping out and Radio-Active for swinging by and lending moral support.

As I said, I was in no hurry but we were making good time. Nails and I had the cam and crank seals replaced, the water pump swapped and the coolant hoses replace (except the ones that would be in the way).

That is until Nexus Flux came by and I decided to get "blingy" and polish my water neck and thermostat cover. Special thanks to Nexus Flux for "polishing my parts".

If any of you want to come by tomorrow I will be finishing up, including lining everything up and putting the timing belt back on. This will be in the morning sometime around 10am.
    ...and across the line.

...and I'm done. Just finished test driving it. The car seems to run smoother.

A big thanks again to Nails and Nexus Flux for their tremendous assistance.

Only one major problem. It seems the coolant smell I was occasionally smelling with no affect on coolant level or temp seems to be a pin hole leak in my radiator. With the holiday weekend, I needed to put the old radiator in until I order another to replace it before Hallett.

Anyone have a good "TCB" radiator lying around that I can get to hold me over until later? Needs to be for a 90-97.
    ...and across the line.

Glad to be of help but you did all the work. Was my first time seeing a timing belt change on a Miata and I can say for certain that it is much more labor intensive and parts expensive than I thought it would be.

Anyway, glad it's running smooth and hope your garage floor is dry next few days with the only exception maybe being a coolant drip from aforementioned radiator leak.

Check out Gary and see if he might have one. He had two when I needed one for the 60k I performed on Kakkyo's car and was very resonable on the price.

If not, you may want to go to Regal Row and Irving. There is a TYG distributor called the Parts Channel that was very resonable on parts for my pickup. It's an OEM style Plastic/Aluminum radiator for $116.
    Linkie:

The other option would be to order this one online. It's most likely brass.
    Linkie:
    Last edited by Radio-Active; 09-01-2008 at 06:54 AM.
    05 MX-5 Mazdaspeed #1024 Titanium Gray Mica

Quote Originally Posted by Nails View Post
    Glad to be of help but you did all the work. Was my first time seeing a timing belt change on a Miata and I can say for certain that it is much more labor intensive and parts expensive than I thought it would be.

Anyway, glad it's running smooth and hope your garage floor is dry next few days with the only exception maybe being a coolant drip from aforementioned radiator leak.
    It was labor intensive for sure but the parts was overkill on my part. An ounce of prevention prevents a pound of cure and all... Some of those parts were original to the car and had 177k miles on them.
    ...and across the line.

Quote Originally Posted by Radio-Active View Post
    Check out Gary and see if he might have one. He had two when I needed one for the 60k I performed on Kakkyo's car and was very resonable on the price.

If not, you may want to go to Regal Row and Irving. There is a TYG distributor called the Parts Channel that was very resonable on parts for my pickup. It's an OEM style Plastic/Aluminum radiator for $116.
    Linkie:

The other option would be to order this one online. It's most likely brass.
    Linkie:
    Thanks for the links! Gary was the first person I called. He didn't have any.
    ...and across the line.

I wanted to stop by on Saturday, but I had to put a new starter on my daughter's truck instead.
    1990 White NA - SOLD
    1994 Black NA - SOLD
    2006 Red NC - GT with limited slip, HIDs, all OEM.

Glad to be of help
    '06 RSX Type-S NBP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12