Thread: My new bike doesn't like me

Default My new bike doesn't like me

So last night I get the oil and filter changed on my new Ninja. I had it running before the change to warm it up. I then ran it to make sure I did the change right.

Then I went to start it up but I remembered at that point I should check the fuel petcock and found it on reserve. So I changed it to main, or what I thought was main. I run the bike and prepare to take it home. It runs for all of 10 seconds. Yeah, I set it to off, not main. By the time I figure it out the carbs are bone dry, the starter is overheated, and it won't go anywhere. It is now on strike over my stupidity. So at that point I just walk away from it and ride home with my wife. I will try it again on Sunday, my wife and I had plans today so I am staying in.

I woulda thought the battery would die before overheating the starter. Hope your starters ok. You can push start it by popping up into second with a running start. GL

Oh no, it's actually very common. It's even on page 42 of the manual.

"Caution: Do not operate the starter continuously for more than 5 seconds or the starter will overheat and the battery power will drop temporarily. etc etc etc"

The battery power actually doesn't drop, but that is what it looks like. The starter gets weak.

Team Cheap Bastard
    President & Founder

Time to buy a battery trickle charger if you don't already have one.

Actually if it does turn out to need a charge, I would be more want to buy a new battery and trickle charger. Like with all used vehicles, I have very little idea on how long the battery has been in there. I will try it tomorrow with the current battery. If it still won't start strong I will check the date on the battery and go from there.

What year ninja did you end up getting? Any pics?

The full info is in the thread titled "Ninja!!!"

It is a 2005 Ninja 250R, and it is now running (it did need a tender, thanks sammm), but I still can't ride it thanks to the rain. No pics though, the details of that are in the other thread too.