Thread: My car is tight, yo!

Default My car is tight, yo!

I got my FM Butterfly brace installed and the car now reminds me of a Chevy truck, solid like a rock.

Seriously though, chassis flex seems to be eliminated but I haven't crossed any RR tracks yet. We'll so on the commute to work tomorrow.

Install was a bit of a PITA. Similar to a roll bar installation. Lots of coaxing my frame rails (read beating with a hammer) and lots of dirt! My car is DIRTY underneath and I even de-greased and power-washed it first!

It definitely makes a significant improvement to the chassis on my NA and a worthy upgrade to consider. If you do upgrade, have Gary at TDR make his modifications to the butterfly section. It allows for easier removal of the center section if you have to do exhaust work.
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

Blog Entries

I'm thinking about doing the frame rail reinforcement because the rails look like somebody high centered it on a curb, 37 times. Do you know if it is a legal modification for SCCA stock class?

BTW I replaced the heater hoses on my car today. Does anybody know the name and address of the guy who decided to put the clamp behind the cylinder head? And who thought it would be cool to use $30 worth of molded hoses to span a couple of feet? If it starts leaking I think I'll sell the car, literally.
    Stripe Das Sape

We are leading the world to democracy by example.

Quote Originally Posted by creek View Post
    I'm thinking about doing the frame rail reinforcement because the rails look like somebody high centered it on a curb, 37 times. Do you know if it is a legal modification for SCCA stock class?
    You've seen my car. Do I look like I care about SCCA Stock Class rules?

Seriously though. I doubt very much it is allowed. A very worthy upgrade though.

BTW I replaced the heater hoses on my car today. Does anybody know the name and address of the guy who decided to put the clamp behind the cylinder head? And who thought it would be cool to use $30 worth of molded hoses to span a couple of feet? If it starts leaking I think I'll sell the car, literally.
    I sympathize as I just replaced mine as well. No leaks though! (knocking on wood)
    ...and across the line.

1996 Mazda Miata - R-Package (Eve-L)
    2012 Mazda CX-9 - Grand Touring (Dory)

No, it is not legal in stock.

I replaced the heater hoses on my car today. Does anybody know the name and address of the guy who decided to put the clamp behind the cylinder head? And who thought it would be cool to use $30 worth of molded hoses to span a couple of feet? If it starts leaking I think I'll sell the car, literally.
    I think there are eight hoses in the cooling system. Did you get all of them?

I don't think it's legal for stock, csp, or SM2. I think technically, they knock you up to mod classes.

Yea I changed that one the night before my track day at HHR a couple months ago. You did replace the clamp with a worm clamp right?

Chris
    91 Miata (#3), Rattle Can Grey(previous owner), Greddy Turbo @7 PSI and Manifold (Only items remaining from the kit), TDR I/C, Godspeed Radiator, RM DP, 2.5 Enthuza Bipes, BEGI AFPR, ACT, Lightened Stock Flywheel, Yellow Konis, FCM on Stock Springs, HDM2S, MOMO Wheel, Ratsback Front CF Lip, Black Rota's on EcstaXS, Corrado Rotors & XP8's on Front w/ 1.8 rears.

http://austinmiata.com/

Wishlist: Megasquirt to run 12-13 PSI, White non-spray paint job, 8" 6UL's, RX7 LSD, Evans Waterless Coolant

Quote Originally Posted by Miatamaniac92 View Post
    I don't think it's legal for stock, csp, or SM2. I think technically, they knock you up to mod classes.

Yea I changed that one the night before my track day at HHR a couple months ago. You did replace the clamp with a worm clamp right?

Chris
    Worm clamps are cheap - if you really want to use a good hose clamp that won't chew up hoses and will last the life of the car, use t-bolt clamps. Mcmaster carr is a great source.
    Iain

"We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw